Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Jeff Smith

From the latest milepost: http://web.mta.info/mnr/MilePosts/16030 ... epost.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two items of note: big increase on Manitou and Breakneck Ridge stops; no corresponding increase on Harlem/App Trail.

And.... it's back. Zombie Devon Transfer is ALIVE!
New Timetables Effective April 3

On the Hudson Line:

On Weekdays:

• The 5:35 AM train from Poughkeepsie to Grand Central will depart 2 minutes earlier at 5:33 AM.

• Arrival times of the 4:54 PM train from Grand Central to Croton-Harmon will be adjusted 1-2 minutes later from Morris Heights to Harmon.

On Weekends:

• With so many of you heading to Manitou and Breakneck Ridge stations to hike, we've experienced longer dwell times at these stations of up to 10 minutes. To accommodate all of you nature lovers, we are adding three additional round trips to these stops.

On the Harlem Line

On Weekdays:

• Eight AM Peak trains will be adjusted by 2-4 minutes to improve performance.

• All four PM Peak Wassaic "through" trains have intermediate times adjusted by 1-2 minutes to improve performance at intermediate stations; Wassaic arrival times remain the same.

On the New Haven Line

On Weekdays:

• Twelve AM Peak trains will have their schedules adjusted by 1-3 minutes to improve performance.

• Five PM Peak trains will have their schedules adjusted by 1-3 minutes to improve and relieve congestion at Stamford around 7 PM.

On the Waterbury Branch:

The Devon Transfer returns to service to accommodate needed repairs on the Devon movable bridge. The following changes will be in effect through October:

• All Waterbury Branch customers who usually transfer to main line trains at Bridgeport will instead get off at the new Devon Transfer location.

• Waterbury Branch customers who travel to New Haven will transfer again at Bridgeport for a main line train connection to New Haven.

• Northbound customers will be dropped off main line trains at the Devon Transfer and board a waiting train for Waterbury
  by truck6018

You forgot the interesting addition to the "Quiet Car" concept. TWO quiet cars on EVERY weekday train, peak and off peak. Upon speaking briefly with some of the riding public there are less than favorable reviews.
  by mvb119

Given the vast majority of riders are fairly quiet, they should just make one car a loud car and put all the obnoxious people in there.
  by NH2060

+1. Basically a railcar version of the "cry room" at church for grownups ;-)
Last edited by NH2060 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by Backshophoss

The schedules are not yet posted to schedule page,only the current version,maybe next week?
  by Jeff Smith

Correct I didn't cover the quiet car. I'm not sure what the reception is for them. Given the shenanigans that go on in other cars, I'd want to be in there. I can tell you from having commuted 1989 - 2001 from various points on various lines, there was an unwritten etiquette about behavior during peak commute times. That changed over the years as cell phones and lap tops proliferated. Before that, the worst noise was from radios and Walkmans. By the time I stopped commuting, some of the behavior was pretty atrocious.
  by Travelsonic

Now, when the AM trains are being adjusted 1-3 mins, will that be 1-3 mins later, or 1-3 mins earlier?
(Doesn't exactly matter to em outside of curiosity, seeing that the train I take currently gets me in to New Rochelle before the Iona College shuttle gets there, gets me there just as the shuttle arrives when running late. :P )
  by DutchRailnut

ok lets put thinking cap on and see what info was given....
  by Steamboat Willie

When you see adjustments of 1-3 minutes, it usually means it falls into a different slot when it comes to routings. This comes into play at crucial points such as GCT complex, CP5, CP112, CP232/233/234.

The progression of the Quiet Car program was brought on by the commuters, and I do not anticipate it being overly successful. Most peak hour trains people are "plugged in," and are tuned out to their surroundings. Some trains in the off-peak hours do not call for all cars being used, and the program will make it difficult for people in train service to have some cars closed off in the event people start logging complaints. Ambitious ideas but this is not Amtrak.. :wink:
  by DutchRailnut

like Willie said, what happens on outbound , Cdr has 6 cars open , but at 125 he realizes he needs 8 , you tell people in north 2 cars sorry its no longer quiet car so move your keister , your belongings and seat check to next 2 cars ??
Chaos will start real quick.
  by TDowling

truck6018 wrote:You forgot the interesting addition to the "Quiet Car" concept. TWO quiet cars on EVERY weekday train, peak and off peak. Upon speaking briefly with some of the riding public there are less than favorable reviews.
Wow I wonder if njt is going to implement that. Probably not since they use fewer cars.
Will these schedule changes coincide with the new jersey/west of Hudson changes?
  by Backshophoss

The "west of Hudson" side is it's own world,think"MN as operated by NJT"and follow NJT operating practices for
"Quiet Cars".
All MN equipment is pooled with NJT's Hoboken equipment pool. :P
  by Riverduckexpress

A new Shore Line East timetable will go into effect Monday, April 4, 2016.
The following are notes regarding the new schedule:

WEEKDAY westbound morning train 1627 will depart all stops 3 minutes earlier, departing Old Saybrook station at 5:37 a.m. and arriving at New Haven Union Station at 6:22 a.m.
WEEKEND & HOLIDAY eastbound evening train 3650 has been replaced by train 3652 and will depart New Haven Union Station at 8:45 p.m. and arrive at New London station at 9:55 p.m.
Special trains will be available for Memorial Day, Independence Day, Sailfest Fireworks and Labor Day. Please refer to the posted schedule for details about specific trains.
A new schedule for Shore Line East is going into effect around the same time. Meanwhile, we're still waiting for news on the opening of the new platform at Branford. Anybody know what's up with that?
  by ThreeIfByAir

The Hudson Line schedule expires July 10 -- any idea what they're planning over the summer that needs a modified schedule? (The rest run through October 2 as usual.)
  by Jeff Smith

Riverduckexpress wrote:...Meanwhile, we're still waiting for news on the opening of the new platform at Branford. Anybody know what's up with that?
Here's the thread for that for you to ask: SLE Station Expansion Projects (Branford, Madison, Clinton)