• Saratoga Springs to Rensselaer Service to be launched in 07

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by themallard

It's been in the works for a long time, and now a commuter rail system may finally be coming to the Capital Region -- at least for a little while.

A plan to run single-car commuter trains from Saratoga Springs to the Amtrak station in Rensselaer will be started as a demonstration project in the first half of 2007.

Commuter rail service from Saratoga County to the Albany area has been touted as one option for alleviating the vehicle traffic on the area's roads and highways.

A commuter project sponsored by CDTA fell through five years ago.
Capital News 9

by Gilbert B Norman

Needless to say, there are an awful lot of unanswered questions to this one; somehow I doubt if such was of concern to the the small/mid market "if it bleeds it leads" local news reporter.

What agency will operate the service?

What equipment will be used; single car? enough of a train to activate signals on the NYC and D&H?

Has any party approached the two host roads regarding terms and conditions of access.

What agency will provide T&E and MofE?

Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts!!!!

by travelrobb

The project would involve Florida DOT's DMU units--the driver appears to be an FRA-mandated test of the DMUs in heavy winter conditions. The local market conditions around Albany don't seem to be much of an impetus; the sponsoring agency is the NYS Senate High Speed Rail Task Force, not the area transit agency.

Read more in this article from the Albany Times Union.

-robb

by Greg Moore

Call me a skeptic (but I was right last time this came up about 5 years ago) but "I'll believe it when I see it."

However, that little (and I mean VERY little) I've seen about this project makes me a bit more hopeful, if only because Senator Bruno (who is the Majority Leader for the state Senate) seems to have tossed in some money.

But again it looks like it'll be a test project, small in scope (which actually means it's more likely to actually happen). But once they're done testing, it'll be interesting to see if they continue.

by Noel Weaver

You need to remember that the entire line between Albany and Saratoga Springs is single track and there is already plenty of freight traffic involved here too. It is kind of roundabout to operate in this manner between Albany and Saratoga. It might work better if they could operate via Mechanicville but it would still be a rather slow trip and would require a reverse move to get into Rensselaer passenger station; and there is really not much of a place for any station on the Albany side. I am also very skeptical on this one; will believe it when I see it.
Noel Weaver

by AgentSkelly

If memory serves me right, wasn't there commuter rail service in the area with a ballpark of something like 100 years ago operated by some predecessor of either the D&H or the NYC?

by Noel Weaver

Yes, the D&H ran a local commuter train between Saratoga Springs and Albany. It came off in 1962. In those days, the D&H was better equipped to handle traffic of this nature. The old line through Round Lake was still in use and the passenger trains still went that way. This provided a more direct line to Albany and served Round Lake and Clifton Park better than the present route. The old Union Station in Albany was also still in use and no reverse moves were necessary to operate via the direct route.

Today, the state offices are spread out more in the area and many of these offices are not particularly near an active railroad track. I think the route would be as well served by a better network of express bus routes than by one commuter train each way a day.
Noel Weaver

by AgentSkelly

Ahhh...now I remember...thanks Noel.

There was also a trolley I know that ran around through Ballston Lake that ran parallel to the Bridge Line.
  by Steamman

There are CDTA express buses that provide service between the Saratoga Train Station and Albany. My observation has been that today very few people board at the train station. After the train station, as the bus travels through Saratoga Springs to enter the Northway at exit 15 is when utilization increases. This is because it's closer and faster for Saratoga residents to walk to the bus route from their homes than go to the train station. Also the parking area at exit 15 is more convenient for those living north and east of Saratoga than driving through Saratoga to the train station to board the bus.

Michael

by hsr_fan

Noel Weaver wrote:You need to remember that the entire line between Albany and Saratoga Springs is single track and there is already plenty of freight traffic involved here too
Is it all single track? I could've sworn I remember two tracks up to Saratoga, but maybe it was only at the Saratoga station.

Based on my Adirondack journey in October, top speed between Saratoga and Schenectady is 60 mph (maybe 59, technically?). Schenectady to Albany is 110 mph!

by joshuahouse

Is there any firmer a date about when this will be tested beyond the first half of 2007?

by AgentSkelly

hsr_fan wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:You need to remember that the entire line between Albany and Saratoga Springs is single track and there is already plenty of freight traffic involved here too
Is it all single track? I could've sworn I remember two tracks up to Saratoga, but maybe it was only at the Saratoga station.

Based on my Adirondack journey in October, top speed between Saratoga and Schenectady is 60 mph (maybe 59, technically?). Schenectady to Albany is 110 mph!
I know it's single track from Schenectady to somewhere near the Route 67 Overpass, because that ROW is over 100 years old and has a lot of single-lane bridges over roads that are just as old.
  by DutchRailnut

themallard wrote:
it's been in the works for a long time, and now a commuter rail system may finally be coming to the Capital Region -- at least for a little while.
Capital News 9
Note the word MAY, as it is not certain the car will be tested in New York. This is jut a proposal with no concrete plan.
  by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:This is jut a proposal with no concrete plan.
The very last sentence above is absolutely true; New York State is always coming up with proposals, plans, ideas, call them whatever you want to — they often do not amount to much, or if they do, they do not follow them through.

Also, yes, the former D&H is all single track from Schenectady to Saratoga Springs. There are sidings here and there, controlled and otherwise, but it is only a one-track railroad with two passenger trains in each direction and a number of freight trains too.

I do not think this area is ripe nor ready for commuter rail service at this time.

Noel Weaver

by trainwayne1

According to the NY papers today, NY State Senator Bruno has been tossing quite a bit of money around......to a lot of his friends/business associates........and is being investigated by the FBI. :(