• RVL Whitehouse Passing Siding Progress

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Ken W2KB

I ride 5702 out of High Bridge to Newark and usually 5709 back each weekday. I would estimate that these trains have somewhere between 150 and 200 passengers west of Raritan. 5700 and 5711 which I sometimes take is probably between 100 and 150. There has been substantial growth over the past few years, and more growth is expected.

by nick11a

And have you seen that Gigantor Condo Complex at Lebanon. Expect that station to have a sharp rise when that opens from its what? 17 daily passengers?

by Ken W2KB

nick11a wrote:And have you seen that Gigantor Condo Complex at Lebanon. Expect that station to have a sharp rise when that opens from its what? 17 daily passengers?
Sure, I've watched it being built. Hard to say how many may take the train, unless the condo was marketed to those working in Newark or NY.

by nick11a

Ken W2KB wrote:
nick11a wrote:And have you seen that Gigantor Condo Complex at Lebanon. Expect that station to have a sharp rise when that opens from its what? 17 daily passengers?
Sure, I've watched it being built. Hard to say how many may take the train, unless the condo was marketed to those working in Newark or NY.
Well, I'm sure you'll see at least twice as many passengers as you're seeing now. That is if your ridership number for the station truly is 19 or whatever. :-)

by wolfboy8171981

Jishnu wrote:
M&Eman wrote:Yeah. NJT puts Conrail blue signs on their signal/crossing equipment. Kearny and Swift are post-NJT interlockings that are Conrail blue as well.
But Swift is an Amtrak interlocking, isn't it?
Read your NORAC Rule Book and you'll understand why they're Blue and White.

by mcmannors

northjerseybuff wrote:what are the RVL riderhsip numbers? especially west of raritan? I was at Roselle Park and was pleasantly surprised on the 8pm westbound run to see how many people were on the train. Much more than the BCL or ML
If you saw a westbound train at Roselle Park around 8 pm, that would have been 5449, which terminates at Raritan.

BTW, if you want to see a busy RVL train in the off peak, check out 5455, which leaves Newark at 10:11 pm Monday thru Friday. It's usually 5 cars open, with an interesting combination of the "scum of the earth" low-lifes along with working class commuters. Plus, there are no ticket collectors assigned to that train, only the conductor and brakeman.

by Ken W2KB

nick11a wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:
Well, I'm sure you'll see at least twice as many passengers as you're seeing now. That is if your ridership number for the station truly is 19 or whatever. :-)
Hopefully it will double. 19 is probably about right and I believe a significant reason for the low ridership is the lack of parking at or near the station. It only accomodates about a dozen or so cars and is full by 5702, the second morning train. The condo folks will be able to walk to the station.

More progress on the siding as well. I noted this morning that the new signal hut was on its new foundation at the east end of the siding.

by nick11a

I don't recall seeing space for a parking lot near there. But is there anyplace to put one in? That could be very helpful to the ridership of the station.

And the amount of parking there is a joke really.

by Zeke

Saw the new signal hut CUSH sitting just west of Old Mountain Rd. this evening. I guess it is temporarily there as I do not think thats it's permanent home, really far from the west end of the siding if it is.

by Ken W2KB

Zeke wrote:Saw the new signal hut CUSH sitting just west of Old Mountain Rd. this evening. I guess it is temporarily there as I do not think thats it's permanent home, really far from the west end of the siding if it is.
The hut for TUNK was just west of Whitehouse Station for a couple or three days before it was moved to its new foundation. Probably likewise for CUSH.

by nick11a

Cushtunk. Tushcunk. I can never get it right. But the idea of spltting a name up into two for control points is an exciting precedent. This means that if Amtrak ever puts a full fledged interlocking at Budweiser, one will be called BUD and the other WEISER.

BUD
WEISER
BUD
WEISER.

by blockline4180

nick11a wrote:Cushtunk. Tushcunk. I can never get it right. But the idea of spltting a name up into two for control points is an exciting precedent. This means that if Amtrak ever puts a full fledged interlocking at Budweiser, one will be called BUD and the other WEISER.

BUD
WEISER
BUD
WEISER.
Does anyone know if Cushtunk Lake is still around?? It might have died and become a swamp and there could be some BUD WEI SER frogs jumping around in there..

by Ken W2KB

blockline4180 wrote:
nick11a wrote:Cushtunk. Tushcunk. I can never get it right. But the idea of spltting a name up into two for control points is an exciting precedent. This means that if Amtrak ever puts a full fledged interlocking at Budweiser, one will be called BUD and the other WEISER.

BUD
WEISER
BUD
WEISER.
Does anyone know if Cushtunk Lake is still around?? It might have died and become a swamp and there could be some BUD WEI SER frogs jumping around in there..
Cushetunk Mountain still is:

http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/depts/par ... untain.htm

The CNJ used to operate excursion trains to the Mountain.

by Raritan Express

Is increased service west of Raritan expected when the October 23 schedule takes effect or a later date?

by Ken W2KB

Raritan Express wrote:Is increased service west of Raritan expected when the October 23 schedule takes effect or a later date?
Dunno, but if so, they need to complete the signaling first. As of yesterday/today there were no signal masts or signals yet installed, nor did I observe any materials for them trackside. The relay huts and cabling are in place, as are the signal foundations.