• Rutt's Hut of Clifton, NJ in HO Scale

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Milepost 12

This is one of our only survivors from our old HO scale layout.

You know how us people living in North Jersey just crave a "cremator" every so often or a hamburger soaked in gravy with some of those famous onion rings. Well we figured back then so would our HO scale people near our Delawanna Station on the layout.

It was so fitting on the layout. I found some old pictures of it just before it was mothballed and put away. We will use it on a module we will make in the future.

Click image for larger picture:

You could almost smell Givaudan on Delawanna Ave in the background LOL

Shot of the roof details with the numerous ventilators the Rutt's Hut has on it.

Shot of the trestle sign. We use to have in just like it was there with the RT 21 exit for Rt 3 and the parking lot cantilevering over it, when I find those pics, I will post them here too.

Shot of the interior with the full counter with stainless steel backsplash, the kitchen beyond it and stand up eating counters with their famous relish and mustard bowls on them. Can't you just taste it? LOL

Well thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy the pictures and the model.

Mark

by Otto Vondrak

wow!! I've been to Rutt's, you've nailed it.

what layout was this on?

-otto-

by Milepost 12

My wife and I had a layout in HO scale from Bergen Hill to Ridgewood. We took it down around 2002 because we needed room.

Now we are starting a new layout. It is a N scale layout from Croxton's west end to Mill Rift. Passaic Jct with the NYS&W Passaic branch will be included, also the Dundee Branch & part of the old Graham Line.

We had a great 10 year run on that layout but the house got too small LOL. I will post some pictures of it when I dig up the disc they are on.

Mark

by Steve F45

WOW!! I mean that is dead on. And seeing that model has just made me hungry for 3 wit cheeze and chilli!!!!

by Otto Vondrak

Mark-

Keep the pictures coming! We'd love to see more of Rutt's and your layout. Have you considered incorporating this Rutt's into a diorama?

-otto-

by Dieter

I think I've been to this place too. Is it inside a curve of an exit on a highway?

d/

by Ken W2KB

Dieter wrote:I think I've been to this place too. Is it inside a curve of an exit on a highway?

d/
Close but not quite. It's on a local street but behind the building is a relatively narrow strip of parking lot, with a high concrete retaining wall where one can look down 20 or more feet to McCarter Highway (Route 21.) Sound familiar?

by Milepost 12

Thanks Otto, I still have a few of the custom HO structures we made for our old Layout, Sold off most of them after we disassembled it but kept the ones we loved. As soon as I find the disc with the layout pics, I will post them.

Rutt's Hut is on River Road by Delawanna Ave in Clifton, NJ running paralell to Rt 21 South (It's really not McCarter Highway until you get to Newark). The parking lot of the place cantilevers over the exit for Route 3. The state built this because of the reroute of River Road during the project in the late 1960's.

Another famous Clifton Drive-In was Burtlin's which was next door (by the south parking lot) which the state took when they built the exit. They then moved across the street and closed in the early 1970's. It then became on of the Jade East restaurants in the area. It then closed in the late 1980's and the structure was raized.

I made a Jade East and a Hy-Grade gas station which are the 2 businesses around Rutt's for the layout then but were sold. The Givaudan plant model my friend in WY incorporated it into his layout.

I know I kept the Manhattan Rubber Passaic Plant that was made from over 400 DPM modular parts and a load of scratchbuilt parts. My wife is going crazy looking for the pics for me to post here. If I can't find them I will go find it and break it out of mothballs (LOL) and take some pics.

Yes Otto these will be made into modules for show when we getthe chance. I have a lot of things but time isn't one of them lately LOL

by Milepost 12

Going there tomorrow on my way back from picking up much needed supplies.

Buillding 2 O scale structures for someones layout. A Taylor Pork Roll restaurant and a Mack's Pizza both which are in Wildwood, NJ.

Why does it seem we only build scale food joints ? LOL

by MYLAYOUT

first ya order a coupla rippers,obviously w/
plenty of that mustard and relish from those stainless containers w/wooden spoons;then maybe a
howdy or a mahvas if yo're thirsty for a yoohoo or an orange. top it off
w/f/f and heaven is just around the corner.sorry if i date myself but
abe rutt,his wife and daughter grace who babysat for me lived up the
street from us in clifton between main ave and passaic ave..anybody
remember gene boyles???

by Milepost 12

Gene Boyles was a little before my time but I remember my dad always talking about them.

Wasn't the past so perfect in some ways LOL

by umtrr-author

Another amazing model! Thanks for sharing.

by Milepost 12

Thanks for the compliment George.

Mark

by sullivan1985

No North Jersey layout is complete without it!