Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by CTG

I don't know what plans might be on the drawing board, but if you're in the area it might be worthwile to make your way down to the crossing during the weekends of May 15 and May 22

http://www.mta.info/lirr/service/MainLine.htm

by Long Island 7285

Though the Central is Gone for ever till we get people with better knowlege on transportation needs on LI In Higher Offices,

Ill just add for the heck of it, if we did have the CRR today only the PJ branch would suffer them most from this crossing elimination.

but ok, on the other hand, is this soposed to be done in only 2 days? 2 sundays, the adjustmnet of the grade and the elevation/overpass for roslyn Rd?

by 9C1LT1

According to the MTA website that you linked, this means on those two weekends there will be diesel service every hour on the central branch between Bethpage and Babylon? If so, I know where I'll be heading those weekends :wink:

-Barry

by Sir Ray

Long Island 7285 wrote:Though the Central is Gone for ever till we get people with better knowlege on transportation needs on LI In Higher Offices,

Ill just add for the heck of it, if we did have the CRR today only the PJ branch would suffer them most from this crossing elimination.

but ok, on the other hand, is this soposed to be done in only 2 days? 2 sundays, the adjustmnet of the grade and the elevation/overpass for roslyn Rd?
I don't think so; from that announcement, it seems that those 2 weeks are only for pre-preperation (pipe and casing work).
I would expect (I could be very wrong) that they will work in sections, build an elevated section across 1/3 the ROW, involving grading, bridging, concrete work etc. - then lay a 'shoo-fly' or temp track across it. Proceed to the next 1/3, and finally repeat for the last 1/3 - then, when everything is more or less elevated, either leave the bridge (if permemant), or close everything down for a day or two and replace the 3 permanent sections with the final bridge (BTW, I would expect them to allow space for the third track, hence the 1/3 ROW bit above - I have read they did this with the Herricks Road crossing and the Mineola Avenue bridge.)
Actually, considering the Herricks Road, was there enough room on the ROW at that point to allow them to lay shoo-flies and maintain service while constructing the bridge (and lowering Herricks Road) - I don't recall).
One thing is there is little (or no) extra space at Roslyn Road, even with tearing down that building to the Northeast of the crossing...

by Long Island 7285

Are they raising the tracks or are they raising the road.

the road in that area it high enough to be elevated with out having to lower the tracks much or at all. I can be wrong, but i guess we will all find out soon.

by NIMBYkiller

I'm almost sure it's going to be Roslyn Road that they are raising.

Barry, I think I know where half this board is going to be those 2 days! lol. You on the other hand will be busy driving the bustitution runs, lol.

by Long Island 7285

:-D Barry, no comment lol

by Sir Ray

NIMBYkiller wrote:I'm almost sure it's going to be Roslyn Road that they are raising.
Nimby, I'm sure you're familiar with the area - raising Roslyn Road (in a fashion similar to the Mineola Bridge, since they need the track clearance) would be a nightmare - at least a dozen homes and businesses front on Roslyn road at that crossing (not including the Apartment complex to the Southwest), and there's a fairly busy road is just a short block north (many local stores etc. on it).
Roslyn Road could probably be depressed a few feet (say 5) without major difficultly, and this would help toward providing a 14 ft road clearance - the other way around, you would need 22ft clearance (if not more - what plate clearance did they use for the Mineola Ave. Bridge).
I personally find it hard to believe they would put another 'hump' like the Mineola Avenue bridge on fairly busy Roslyn Road (OTH, the Mineola hump was probably grandfathered in), but could see a combination of ROW elevation and road depression, as in the Herricks crossing.
That's why I've been hunting around for diagrams, drawings, or heck, even a clear description - anyone know of any?

by Long Island 7285

Elevation of the ROW will have to start at NASSAU. but whats going to happen to the crossing at the split to OB where there is 4 tracks and that gap between them. how is that going to be eliminated? is it feisable? is it cost effective? now with roslyn rd and mineola ave elevated, do you really need that crossing eliminated?

by NIMBYkiller

I've heard talk hear about pilings and stuff like that, so I assumed that it meant that Roslyn Rd is going to be elevated, but I agree that sinking it is a far better idea.

by Sir Ray

Long Island 7285 wrote:Elevation of the ROW will have to start at NASSAU. but whats going to happen to the crossing at the split to OB where there is 4 tracks and that gap between them. how is that going to be eliminated? is it feisable? is it cost effective? now with roslyn rd and mineola ave elevated, do you really need that crossing eliminated?
Willis Ave. is a very busy road also, and will eventually (along with all the other grade crossings) be eliminated - too bad these crossings will be addressed one by one in an ad-hoc manner, and won't be done in a co-ordinated fashion like the Montauk Line on the South Shore (the Rosedale-Valley Stream-Lynbrook-Rockville Centre elevation, or even the Wantagh-Seaford-Massapequa-Massapequa Park elevation which occurred in my lifetime (I remember as a little kid, when we drove out that way on Sunrise Highway, all that cool railroad construction going on...)

by Long Island 7285

Sir Ray,

Would you have any pics, or was that one of the events to escape to childhood innosence.

we all lost thoes priceless moments when we were too young to realise what we were witnessing.

by NIMBYkiller

So true.

by Sir Ray

Long Island 7285 wrote:Sir Ray,
Would you have any pics, or was that one of the events to escape to childhood innosence..
Nope, that was in 1973 or so (yeah, I googled, took a while to find that year too), I was 8 or 9, and didn't own a camera (and wouldn't for another 6 or 7 years - no such things as disposible cameras back in my day). Just some remember moments from looking out the window from the back seat of my dad's 1970 dark green Plymouth Fury (and I'll have you whippersnappers know that the railroad, during construction, really did run miles in the winter snow, from Wantagh to Lindenhurst, uphill both ways :P )

by Long Island 7285

Memories are better then nothing!!

I dident get my first disposable camera till i was 10.