Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BMC

I'm expecting it after my rush hour on Tuesday.
  by Steel Wheel

I just passed on my way home from work and noticed that the engines are up by Endo blvd(6pm Mon). Do you think they will pack up and leave before rush hour? Anyone know when they plan to pull the train?

by robertwa

I saw the Circus Train today at Woodside at about 11:00 AM

by Lirr168

Was anyone else down at LIC this morning to see the train? I was at the grade crossing on Borden Ave. I got some great pics I'll try to post as soon as I dowload them from my camera.
  by BMC

It's all done. The entire circus train is put away in Long Island City. The circus train drill engines just left to go home to the shops.

by tushykushy

Emfinite, lirrmike, and I were down in LIC today. They broke up the circus trains into 2 parts. I'm assuming the first one only carried the animals, as they were laid up next to Hunterspoint Station with engines 154/165, and the rest of the train was with engines 167/168.

Absolutely beautiful weather. Couldn't have asked for a better day.

by Lirr168

The first train, led by 154/165, was the animals and some equipment on flat cars. BTW, what time did the second train come in? I left with 154/165 at around 12:30 and there was no sign of the second one yet.

by lirrmike

Maybe 1/2 an hour to 45 min later. Backup move off the secondary, nice! MTA cops had the LIC crossing closed during the move.

Mike

by Lirr168

I was down at the crossing when the first train came through, cops were there for that as well. Surprisingly, they were actually very cordial to me, the one watching the crossing at the yard entrance even let me onto the tracks to gets some pics. Speaking of the crossing, I must add that i was quite amused by the reaction of the people who were caught there. Unlike the GC NIMBYs who sit in the cars looking pissed (and will go home and write angry letters to Newsday), the real new yorkers leaned on their horns and screamed profanities out their windows. god, how i love NY!

by RPM2Night

That's funny. It's not like honking and cursing is going to make a several ton train move any faster.

by BMC

The first train that came down the main line was equipment cars, storage cars and some of the animals. They are laid up adjacent to HPA.

The second train came down the Montauk and was primarily the sleeper cars for the performers and workers. They will occupy four of my tracks in the yard till the circus leaves.

Very smooth move this year and as stated before the weather was beautiful compared to last years which was done in the snow. Good moves by all concerned.

Most of the drivers took it well (amazing what the circus coming to town will do), but the traffic on Borden was really backed up at times.
  by Ricshaw

I was watching from New Hyde Park station, perfect weather for railfaning. This was the first time I've seen the circus train in action! I should have some good photos. I saw NYA, the circus train and LIRR, not a bad morning for rail fans!

by emfinite

If anyone wants any pictures from yesterday's move, send me a PM or an email.

Joe

by RPM2Night

Thanks Joe, I got your e-mail. Nice Pictures.

Does anyone else have pictures either posted online, or in an e-mail that I might be able to see from when they were pulling the circus train out of Garden City? Thanks!

by Long Island 7285

I have video that i will make to DVD if my PC alows otherwise i will make a DVD w/o editds