• Retirements and Disposition of CR Equipment

  • Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

  • 875 posts
  • 1
  • 54
  • 55
  • 56
  • 57
  • 58
  • 59
  by Mbtagp40mc
 
So they've officially ridded themselves of 1009 and 1014. Will they do the same procedure with the rest or maybe sell them to tourist operations?.....or let's talk about restoration again... :P
  by Bramdeisroberts
 
I wonder how they'd look with MP-36 cabs and GEVO prime movers in the new HSP-46 paint scheme... *dodges tomatoes*
  by drvmusic
 
Mbtagp40mc wrote:So they've officially ridded themselves of 1009 and 1014. Will they do the same procedure with the rest or maybe sell them to tourist operations?.....or let's talk about restoration again... :P
How many are left?
  by CRail
 
15, don't forget the 1000.
  by trains18
 
Mbtagp40mc wrote:So they've officially ridded themselves of 1009 and 1014. Will they do the same procedure with the rest or maybe sell them to tourist operations?.....or let's talk about restoration again... :P
All of the screamers are officially retired. There is no rebuild program for them specifically. They are rotted to the core and have several points where it is leaking into their engine and HEP blocks to the point where it costs a lot more to rebuild them than retire and buy new locomotives. They are investing in 36 better shape F40s to be suitable for a rebuild program.
  by trains18
 
As of recently, mbb coach 1514 was brought back into service for now from the Rochester storage line :)
  by CRail
 
trains18 wrote:All of the screamers are officially retired. There is no rebuild program for them specifically. They are rotted to the core and have several points where it is leaking into their engine and HEP blocks to the point where it costs a lot more to rebuild them than retire and buy new locomotives. They are investing in 36 better shape F40s to be suitable for a rebuild program.
Rotted to the core? They aren't solid blocks so I'm not sure how rot gets from the surface to the 'core'. The prime movers are EMD 645 Turbos just like any other F40 whether it be 2C, PH, M or otherwise. Assemblies for those engines are still commercially available from the manufacturer. The shells are sheet metal around a solid frame and the rest is all dressing. If those units got an overhaul the likes of the stretch F40s they'd come out just as good (minus the excess fuel consumption, which is really the disadvantage making them less feasible). If it wasn't for the head end power issue I'd say they're a lot more worthwhile than the GP40s, some of which are slated for Knowledge Corridor service (hence MassDOT ownership). Whatever plans are had for them may never be realized, but if there wasn't one I don't think any would still exist.
  by trains18
 
CRail wrote:
trains18 wrote:All of the screamers are officially retired. There is no rebuild program for them specifically. They are rotted to the core and have several points where it is leaking into their engine and HEP blocks to the point where it costs a lot more to rebuild them than retire and buy new locomotives. They are investing in 36 better shape F40s to be suitable for a rebuild program.
Rotted to the core? They aren't solid blocks so I'm not sure how rot gets from the surface to the 'core'. The prime movers are EMD 645 Turbos just like any other F40 whether it be 2C, PH, M or otherwise. Assemblies for those engines are still commercially available from the manufacturer. The shells are sheet metal around a solid frame and the rest is all dressing. If those units got an overhaul the likes of the stretch F40s they'd come out just as good (minus the excess fuel consumption, which is really the disadvantage making them less feasible). If it wasn't for the head end power issue I'd say they're a lot more worthwhile than the GP40s, some of which are slated for Knowledge Corridor service (hence MassDOT ownership). Whatever plans are had for them may never be realized, but if there wasn't one I don't think any would still exist.
Well keep in mind that if they wanted to rebuild them, they would have done that a long time ago before their lifespan is up. But yeah you never know if they change their mind to rebuild them. But as far as I've heard, they are retired and are awaiting the bids to be sold as scrap which is why they are in storage. There's lots of water that leaks into them because of the shell around them slowly rusting away and from staying outside uncovered which makes it more expensive to overhaul since there's more damage to repair. Some of their prime movers and other important components failed too not just the hep. The F40's currently in service are due for an overhaul which is being done now.
  by Mbtagp40mc
 
trains18 wrote:
CRail wrote:
trains18 wrote:All of the screamers are officially retired. There is no rebuild program for them specifically. They are rotted to the core and have several points where it is leaking into their engine and HEP blocks to the point where it costs a lot more to rebuild them than retire and buy new locomotives. They are investing in 36 better shape F40s to be suitable for a rebuild program.
Rotted to the core? They aren't solid blocks so I'm not sure how rot gets from the surface to the 'core'. The prime movers are EMD 645 Turbos just like any other F40 whether it be 2C, PH, M or otherwise. Assemblies for those engines are still commercially available from the manufacturer. The shells are sheet metal around a solid frame and the rest is all dressing. If those units got an overhaul the likes of the stretch F40s they'd come out just as good (minus the excess fuel consumption, which is really the disadvantage making them less feasible). If it wasn't for the head end power issue I'd say they're a lot more worthwhile than the GP40s, some of which are slated for Knowledge Corridor service (hence MassDOT ownership). Whatever plans are had for them may never be realized, but if there wasn't one I don't think any would still exist.
Well keep in mind that if they wanted to rebuild them, they would have done that a long time ago before their lifespan is up. But yeah you never know if they change their mind to rebuild them. But as far as I've heard, they are retired and are awaiting the bids to be sold as scrap which is why they are in storage. There's lots of water that leaks into them because of the shell around them slowly rusting away and from staying outside uncovered which makes it more expensive to overhaul since there's more damage to repair. Some of their prime movers and other important components failed too not just the hep. The F40's currently in service are due for an overhaul which is being done now.
Wouldn't they replace everything anyways? The -2c rebuilds are becoming -3c's which I believe would replace engine, prime mover, HEP, etc. The only thing that needs to be in ok enough shape is the frame which I imagine they would be. Seems to me if they get rid of the GP40's, they would need 1000-1017 (minus the ones scrapped already of course) to have a big enough fleet unless they plan on buying new or perhaps getting from Genesis's from Amtrak.
  by Backshophoss
 
That deadline at seaview has been exposed to salt water mist over time and the bodyshell sheet metal is rusting away,along with all the wiring inside
is corroded beyond use. The Main alternator would need to redone as would the HEP alternator,and the traction motors.
So the given is these F40's are scrap material,except for 1 unit to be stuffed and mounted at a museum if possible.
  by trains18
 
Wouldn't they replace everything anyways? The -2c rebuilds are becoming -3c's which I believe would replace engine, prime mover, HEP, etc. The only thing that needs to be in ok enough shape is the frame which I imagine they would be. Seems to me if they get rid of the GP40's, they would need 1000-1017 (minus the ones scrapped already of course) to have a big enough fleet unless they plan on buying new or perhaps getting from Genesis's from Amtrak.[/quote]

Yup the F40PHM and PH-2C's are becoming F4oPH-3C's getting everything replaced from top to bottom in and outside. But unfortunately for you the original F40's are getting retired. The metal is really rusted and corroded out and all the controls and parts inside cost more than it is to invest in better shape engines like the GP40's and the other F40's. The originals are the oldest and reached their lifespan. The Gp40's are getting their own repair contract so they will not be retired. 1118, 1132, 1136, and 1137 are currently getting rebuilt. Other GP40's might be in the repair contract, but we will see when that updates.
  by sonicdoommario
 
Will the GPs still sound like standing 10 feet underneath a jet when rebuilt?

Also, would the rebuild F40s increase HP, or will that stay at 3,000?
  by Backshophoss
 
Believe the Geeps have Gen-set HEP units
  • 1
  • 54
  • 55
  • 56
  • 57
  • 58
  • 59