• Retirements and Disposition of CR Equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ohalloranchris

I was browsing an equipment roster site (http://www.transithistory.org/roster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which is a great site by the way) and noticed the following info regarding MBB coaches. Are they being sold to Mass Coastal? Rebuilt? Retired? The MBB's were great coaches from my perspective as a regular rider, but I know they have a lot of miles on them.

<<Inactive MBB cars (2 Control Trailer Coaches, 11 Blind Trailer Coach):
At BET: 503, 507, 515, 518, 525, 529, 1500
To Mass Coastal: 500, 501, 502, 505, 508,1503>>
  by BostonUrbEx

So did 1009 ultimately make it back to BET then? Or was is irretrievable?

EDIT: Thank you, 8th Notch. Not sure how I missed that post...
Last edited by BostonUrbEx on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by 8th Notch

8th Notch wrote:
TrainManTy wrote:I didn't realize the 1009 never made it back to BET. Is it still on the station track or did they drag it to the yard?
Still on track 5 in Fitchburg yard, it still isn't in condition to be towed back to Boston.
Covered on the last page... If anything they should scrap it where it is and put the prime mover in the 1014!
  by ACeInTheHole

8th Notch wrote:
8th Notch wrote:
TrainManTy wrote:I didn't realize the 1009 never made it back to BET. Is it still on the station track or did they drag it to the yard?
Still on track 5 in Fitchburg yard, it still isn't in condition to be towed back to Boston.
Covered on the last page... If anything they should scrap it where it is and put the prime mover in the 1014!
How hard do you have to ram a locomotive into a bumper block for that to happen?
  by MBTA1016

It's not hard when the brakes didn't slow it down enough plus the weight and momentum of the loco leading first didn't help the bumper block lol
  by GP40MC1118

The Work Train may be going Friday to get it, but everything is subject to change.

D
  by sery2831

1009 is inbound from Fitchburg as I type.
  by ST214

Her last trip home..... :(
  by ns3010

For lack of a better place to put this,

The 1008 and 1014 are no longer out back at BET as of this morning. I'm guessing they got moved inside. Hopefully at least one of them will return at some point...
  by GP40MC1118

503, 507 & 525 were added 3/04 to the group on the Tuttle Track at Tower A.

D
  by bmcdr

1009 is 75% re-built, and of course, will run again. 1008 and 1014 are being looked over with the hope of making one useful unit from the two, the consensus is, that 1014 will be the one to get scrapped.
  by ACeInTheHole

bmcdr wrote:1009 is 75% re-built, and of course, will run again. 1008 and 1014 are being looked over with the hope of making one useful unit from the two, the consensus is, that 1014 will be the one to get scrapped.
1009 will run again?! After basically being split in half?! Wow.
  by 8th Notch

Split in half is really a bit overboard.... Most of the damage was only to the front truck and pilot, nothing a good welder can't fix!
  by CRail

The only reason there was so much expectation that 1009 wouldn't be repaired is because it's so close to replacement. If not for that, they'd all be in service or awaiting repairs. As 8th Notch pointed out, the damage to the engine was pretty minor in the scheme of things. I don't know how anyone would have gotten the idea that it was split in half, all it hit was a bunter.