• Red Line tunnel dimensions Part Deux (II)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by SP 4449

This is in response to those who thought my request for tunnel dimensions seems odd. To clear up any suspicions, here is an explination of my project and why I must do it. I go to Assabet Valley Technical High School. Instead of taking finals, our school requires us to do a senior project related to the field we are studying, as well as something we are interested in. The field I am studying is Drafting and I happen to like tunnels such as the Hoosac tunnel because they tie in with my hobby of railfanning. We must present our projects in front of teachers as well as people of industry to prove to them that we have actually learned aspects related to our trade during our tenure there. For my presentation, I am explaining about how different types of tunnels are constructed. I plan on making HO scale models of three types of tunnels, Mountainous, subway, and underwater. I also will include drawings showing the inside of the tunnels as well as the various aspects incorporated into their design. My interest in seeking these dimensions is to help me plan my models of the tunnels mentioned before. This project is crucial in that if I do not pass it, I will not graduate.

by CS

I am sorry that this happened... try www.nycsubway.org and look for the Boston section... I think I saw it there once. Good luck on your assignment.

by ckb

<soapbox>

I highly recommend that you visit the state transportation library.

http://www.stlibrary.org/

You may also want to try the Boston Public Library.

Your instructors will be much more impressed by real, honest-to-goodness research rather than a response to a question on an internet message board. And real, honest-to-goodness libraries are still the best places to conduct real, honest-to-goodness research. And, there are even fantastic people, called librarians, whose job it is to assist you in finding the information you need. This is a lesson well worth learning, and learning well.

The internet is great for a lot of things, and forums like this one are great fun and often intellectually stimulating -- but even in the internet age, libraries are a tremendous resource. Take advantage!

</soapbox>

by Robert Paniagua

CS wrote:I am sorry that this happened... try www.nycsubway.org and look for the Boston section... I think I saw it there once. Good luck on your assignment.
Yeah, me too. I misunderstood your explanation at first, but now, I can understand. I wish you well in that. You can also do a google search of MBTA Red Line tunnels without quotes so that you can get more results.

by GP40MC 1116

Yea sorry you got locked out buddy, here is my info from the Ted Williams:

I found this for the Ted Williams Tunnel, becides that I would look thru Mass Pike or Mass Highway, whoever is in charge of the highways in the City and they should have some stuff

here the Ted Williams link

http://www.bostonroads.com/crossings/ted-williams/

by Ken W2KB

You may also wish to contact the Port Authority of NY and NJ and ask for historical information on the construction of the PATH (formerly Hudson & Manhattan RR) tunnels under the Hudson River. Those were the first of their nature ever built and have a facinating history of failed attempts and finally success in the early 1900's. The library may have (or be able to obtain thru interlibrary loan) books on the subject.

by astrosa

There is a book by Frank Cheney on the Red Line, and I know it has cross-sectional drawings from the early 1900s when the tunnels were first being built, but I don't remember if there were later drawings as well. Rollsign magazine can also be a good source for things like that, and if you go to the BSRA website, near the bottom of the page Brad Clarke has an index of every item ever published in the magazine:

http://members.aol.com/bsra5706/

by Robert Paniagua

I have that book out by Frank Cheney, but I don't think it contains any tunnel information, but I'd say a typycal Red Line Subway Tunnel would be the same as an IND/BMT division tunnel, citing the length of cars.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Well I have an Engineering Record form July 13, 1912. The have the info that your looking for on the red line tunnels. For additional info they were referred to as the Becon Hill tunnels at that time. The have scale drawing and show two different types of tunnels. Also a complete floor plan of Park street station. I cannot give that info over the forum but if you want to Contact me here at the library i will be able to help you.
[email protected]
Robert Adams
Acquisitions and Reserves Coordinator
Boston Architectural Center Library
320 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02115
(phone) 617.585.0232
(fax) 617.585.0151

by ckb

I can't help but reiterate -- look, a real live librarian!