• RE: Locked threads

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

Another thing we should mention here- we welcome this type of discussion. We want to know what you're not happy with as well as what works. As you may or may not be aware, RAILROAD.NET is largely a volunteer effort. Mike, Jessy, and myself have gainful full time employment unrelated to the development of this site, so we can't always focus 100% of our attention here, which is why we rely on our moderators for assistance. And assist us they do!

I certainly won't try to offer any finite answers here... but Mike and I will be glad to address any issues that come up to the best of our ability. Sometimes we may not come to agreement, but please know we are not ignoring you.

-otto-

by pablo

I know no one asked...

...but I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people that run this site. I had my own website some time ago, and after two site crashes, and migrating information to three different companies at a snail's pace (this was before I had DSL or cable), I simply gave up. It was too much time, too much work.

For all of the burps, for all of the downtime (that seems to have ended, thank you very much), this site is very well run, and to be honest, I don't see this site as one that suggests "volunteers" at all. That's to everyone's credit.

As for the Amtrak forum NOW, I think it is being handled like the LA River: pour enough concrete on things, and it will go the way you want it to, that's for sure, bubba! I think it's unique to Railroad.net, and as long as the Ottos that be allow it to go on this way, nothing will change. I suggest something should change.

Now...one last point. A few of the people posting on this Amtrak column, and in general on Railroad.net, have posted some of the dumbest questions I've ever seen, or simply questions that don't need to be asked, because they have been answered. Likewise, we have others who are militant in their ignorance. I don't pretend to know how to deal with them. But as a teacher, I have suggestions, if any of the yonder big people want to hear them.

This is a well-run, professional site, and I expect to see it continue that way.

Dave Becker
  by henry6

PABLO WROTE:
"A few of the people posting on this Amtrak column, and in general on Railroad.net, have posted some of the dumbest questions I've ever seen, or simply questions that don't need to be asked, because they have been answered. Likewise, we have others who are militant in their ignorance. I don't pretend to know how to deal with them. But as a teacher, I have suggestions, if any of the yonder big people want to hear them."

I am surprised, Pablo, that since you are a teacher you don't realize there are never dumb questions. In our hobby those of us who "have been around" have to realize there are those who haven't and are, therefore, just where we were when we started. And just because we know it, and have for thousands of our years, it is a new and different world for the newcomer, the neophyte, the rookie, the young. We must take seriously the of nurturing these new fans so that they understand what it is they want or need to know so that they, too, can become responsible railfans.
Everyday there are new members, so we must always go back to the beginning for them.

The real part of all this that riles me, however, is when you point them to the answers...books, magazines, libraries, etc., they reject our help. We cannot, and often do not, have all the anwers. We must realize and understand that and so must they. I like being able to tell them where to go to find the information they seek. I just don't like being told where to go because they don't want to go find the answers where they are.

by UPRR engineer

Thanks for the reply there Otto dude. Like yours and Mike's site.

Mr. Norman did a killer job on my "Hot Topic" back then, kinda expected the same treatment from the new mods on my last one, which was something good and different to talk about. Think i set a new record with the most views in such a short amount of time.

John and wig,
I wouldnt mind a detailed explanation of went wrong with my Observed Amtrak Crew. I wasnt to pleased with your PM's. Wigs about the "luggage", i dont know if i really crossed the line. A word change like that has a PG rating at the most, nothing you cant find on the TV during the day. John your on a power trip i think, like Pablo stated. Better be Pro Amtrak, if not, better not post. So would ya mind posting an explanation HERE, along with what happened, i didnt get to look at it over the last weekend before you two removed it. The few posts i got from people, they seemed to like the topic also, even the CZ Colorado guys post was interesting.

When i think of another good topic thats not your typical, nice, low maintenance, how are you two gonna handle things without killing it?

by pablo

Henry6, believe me, there are dumb questions. And there are dumber people. It's a matter of context.

When the question is an earnest attempt at knowledge, you're right.

When the question serves little to no purpose, or when someone hasn't made the attempt to seek out the knowledge on his or her own (I'd use "their own", which is quickly becoming standard, but as a teacher, well, you know...), it is indeed a dumb question.

Naturally, that's my opinion.

Dave Becker

by Mike Roque

Yes, many people ask questions that have already been asked in that forum or somewhere else on the board. Sometimes people even re-ask questions THEY THEMSELVES have already asked.

Do a google search first, people. Then, do a forum search. THEN, if you find no answer, ask your question.

by pablo

Well said.

Dave Becker
  by henry6

I don't know what this says about us but...on the TV show DO YOU WANT TO BE A MILLIONAIRE one of the 'lifelines' is to ask the audience which is backed up by an AOL poll. The AOL poll most always is less correct than the audience poll and sometimes even totally wrong! It just goes to show you who and what we are dealing with here...expecpt me of course.

by ANDY117

It's Who Wants To Be A Millionaire , Henry :wink: .

by Otto Vondrak

UPRR Engineer- I didnt see the exact post you mention above, but if you have questions, talk to them directly. And if you dont get a good answer, talk to me privately.

Dave, thanks for all the kind words.

-otto-

by David Benton

Do the administrators know how many posts are been edited or removed ?

by Otto Vondrak

Hundreds. Thousands. Millions.

>Shrug<

-otto-

by David Benton

well in my case hundreds is close , as in nearly 100% . As i hinted at above , if you feel you can't post anything that disagrees with one of the moderators , then you might as well not be able to post at all .

by F3A

David Benton wrote:well in my case hundreds is close , as in nearly 100% . As i hinted at above , if you feel you can't post anything that disagrees with one of the moderators , then you might as well not be able to post at all .
I agree David.

Many threads have been arbitrarily locked.

Frankly I'm surprised that we have not heard from the two "hands-on" moderators of the Amtrak Forum (I'm not including you Otto...sorry). I am of the opinion that there should be a uniform and consistent policy of moderator practices throughout this site. To allow one policy for one forum and another policy for another only bring confusion and frustration to the users of this site.

Anyone else have any opinions on this?????

by pablo

On this, F3, I disagree: I don't see a problem with a variety of styles of moderation, assuming that all styles allow for a variety of opinions. I don't know if the Amtrak one is doing that, but unquestionably, the passion and emotions run higher there than on, say, the LAL forum here. That's why this thread is now 5 pages long.

There have been enough comments here and enough posts by other moderators that makes the Amtrak co-moderators' silence all the more eyebrow-raising.

This isn't the federal government, where people can do as they please and have minimal accountability. Otto, or someone else, please suggest that they read this and reply. If the two Amtrak moderators read these, please reply on your own.

Dave Becker