Railroad Forums 

• RE: Locked threads

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#284461  by F3A

pablo wrote:On this, F3, I disagree: I don't see a problem with a variety of styles of moderation, assuming that all styles allow for a variety of opinions. I don't know if the Amtrak one is doing that, but unquestionably, the passion and emotions run higher there than on, say, the LAL forum here. That's why this thread is now 5 pages long.

There have been enough comments here and enough posts by other moderators that makes the Amtrak co-moderators' silence all the more eyebrow-raising.

This isn't the federal government, where people can do as they please and have minimal accountability. Otto, or someone else, please suggest that they read this and reply. If the two Amtrak moderators read these, please reply on your own.

Dave Becker
Pablo, I am not questioning matters of style. I am, however, advocating a uniform policy for the site as a whole. Now I'm sure I will have many detractors here, but it personally bothers me when I seen comments like "well we're very informal on my forum and it takes a lot to get threads locked or removed." Then on the other hand, you have the Amtrak forum, where as David Benton has previously written, if you stray one iota from what the Amtrak Moderators want to see there, then...POOF...Its gone...history! This lack of policy guideline consistency will inevitably cause problems down the road.

I'm not on a "bash the Amtrak Moderators" quest. I'm just expressing one mans opinion.

And yes, I'd like to to have the two "hands-on" Amtrak moderators address this thread.

#284465  by Otto Vondrak

Every forum has its community standards posted. The Amtrak forum has very specific standards posted. If the moderators feel the post does not follow the guidelines, they will remove it. F3A, I wish there was some sort of Uniform Code we could enforce for all forums everywhere. I can only think of one: "Stay on topic." Sure, threads will wander periodically and will return to topic... but because Amtrak is a baby of Federal government, we prefer to keep the political content to a minimum. Inevitably, someone will stray off topic and bring domestic politics into a railfan conversation. Attacks on politicians and policy contribute nothing to a railroad conversation. It's not a matter of "like" or "dislike." But As for our moderating team over at the Amtrak forum, I dont think it's fair to criticize them- they have been on the job about a month or so. They are still learning and adjusting, so it may be bumpy for a little bit while everyone gets used to the new assignment. I won't talk for them, they can comment here if they wish.

-otto-

#285058  by crazy_nip

David Benton wrote:well in my case hundreds is close , as in nearly 100% . As i hinted at above , if you feel you can't post anything that disagrees with one of the moderators , then you might as well not be able to post at all .
I agree 100%, and the moderators are doing a disservice to this website by (even if unintentionally) turning people AWAY from this website...

there needs to be standards

#285068  by pennsy

Hi Crazy_Nip,

For some time now, I was perusing this thread and saying to myself, " Okay, now they are beating a dead horse." And then, surprise, I went off on a tangent, promptly got "killed" for it. So now I am paying attention to this thread once again, now that I actually have first hand experience with what you fellas have been complaining about. So, I toss my hat back into the ring.

#285139  by F3A

What is it that we are seeing that the powers that be are not???

#285181  by Otto Vondrak

Ya got me. Each forum has standards posted (and if they dont, or you feel they are not clear, let the moderator or myself know). If you have a question, bring it up with the moderator. And if he doesnt give you an answer you like, bring it up with me or Mike. But you probably won't like the answer we give either. So I don't know what to tell you.

-otto-

#286022  by crazy_nip

F3A wrote:What is it that we are seeing that the powers that be are not???
nothing because all the evidence is being deleted or edited

take it up with the moderator, LOL...

right with ya there boss

#286973  by Noel Weaver

I did not intend to get involved in this discussion and in fact usually don't
even check this topic, I got here through a link by Crazy Nip.
This operation (Railroad Net) is a private operation, supported by a few
for the benefit of us all. We use this without any charge whatsoever but
we use it on THEIR TERMS.
Under their terms, they have every right to choose their moderator(s) as
they see fit without any input from any of us, it is only fair. They have
the right to delete stuff which does not fit or otherwise causes a problem,
again it is only fair.
If you do not like what the leadership does on here, you also have an
option and that is to stay away although I hope you won't do that.
I have occasionally put stuff on here that really did not fit and it either got
edited or deleted, it's only fair and I do not have a problem with that.
I think there are a few users on here who just need to "GROW UP".
Noel Weaver

#287019  by David Benton

I would agree with the first part of your post ,Noel . There are plenty of other forums on here , and I'm enjoying exploring them lately . Alot of material that is placed on the Amtrak forum may be better put in genral operations , rail trips , general discussion etc .
but I don't agree with the childish part . Been in a different time zone , i am on here at odd hours ( compared to yours , although i often see you on here late at nite ) , and alot of the posts i see disappear /edited are far from childish . its more like been treated like children .

#287026  by pennsy

Hi Dave,

Possibly being in New Zealand gives you more of an objective viewpoint, and thank you for that. However, once again we are beating a dead horse. The points have been made, and those with the eraser etc. have been informed. Let us proceed from there. The name of this game is to enjoy oneself, educate oneself, dispense knowledge, etc. etc. Flames, etc. etc. have no place here. Nor does wielding a machete indiscriminately have a place here either. The basic request is that before that machete falls, think twice and look at the other's point of view.

#287720  by Irish Chieftain

Noel Weaver wrote:This operation (Railroad.Net) is a private operation, supported by a few for the benefit of us all. We use this without any charge whatsoever but we use it on THEIR TERMS
Whose terms? Forum "guidelines" are not part of the terms of use and are subject to change with a change of mods at any particular forum—certainly worthy of note that there are a number of absentee mods at some of this site's more-used forums, and these forums do not descend into flame-fests.

Further, I see a disturbing pattern where the Amtrak forum "mods" are actively looking for material to delete and/or censor, which is building on a bad precedent set by their immediate predecessor. Mods are for damage control, nothing more—beyond that, they are censors and not moderators. Expounding pertinent opinions in a respectful manner is not a violation of the TOU—flame wars are, though.

#287732  by UPRR engineer

Otto are you ever gonna bring those guys over here to the table ol' buddy? I did send them an IM a few weeks ago telling them there presences over here would be much appreciated. Its neutral ground over here, we would like to hear what they have to say.
John_Perkowski wrote:MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Mr UPRREngineer, if you have knowledge of how UP is trying to support and improve Amtrak movements over the Company's rails, that's appropriate.
How bout no, thats not really what i was wanting to add to the discussion. :-D
-------------------

Is this one a Hall of Fame moment?
:-D

#287872  by F3A

UPRR engineer wrote:Otto are you ever gonna bring those guys over here to the table ol' buddy? I did send them an IM a few weeks ago telling them there presences over here would be much appreciated. Its neutral ground over here, we would like to hear what they have to say.
John_Perkowski wrote:MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Mr UPRREngineer, if you have knowledge of how UP is trying to support and improve Amtrak movements over the Company's rails, that's appropriate.
How bout no, thats not really what i was wanting to add to the discussion. :-D
-------------------

Is this one a Hall of Fame moment?
:-D
I have asked that question over three times here, and I have yet to get a definitive answer. Could it be that they are avoiding this thread?

#288282  by crazy_nip

UPRR engineer wrote:How bout no, thats not really what i was wanting to add to the discussion.
they decide what you want to add

didnt you get the memo?

#288303  by gp80mac

This is my new favorite on the amtrak board (posted by Mr. Perkowski http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28684):

I'm going to watch this topic closely. Your post must include a proposed source of funding and a mix of farebox, 403(b) if appropriate, and Federal subsidy needed for the route.

Posts which do not include funding sources will be killed outright.

The posters up to this point have until 4:00PM EDT Wednesday 30 August 2006 to edit their posts.

With all due respect: Sorry, but I won't post a reply to something on a DISCUSSION site with (IMO) undue restrictions like those above. If it doesn't fit the ideal standards, it will be killed? So wonder the forum is moving like a snail lately.