• "R&S" stamped on old railroad tool

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

I have an old lining bar which has been handed down from my grandfather. It is stamped "R&S RR" on each of the 4 sides. Since my family has had it for at least 60 years, it certainly is NOT the Rochester & Southern. I believe there was a previous Rochester & Southern which became part of the Lehigh Valley. However, my grandfather was from Mechanicville, and previously, from New Hampshire so it's odd he would have it down there. Any idea what this "R&S" was? Thanks.

by nydepot

Rochester & Syracuse - became part of NYC

Charles
  by ChiefTroll

The Rensselaer and Saratoga ran from Troy, NY through Mechanicville to Whitehall, NY and Rutland, VT. It was leased to The President, Officers and Managers of The Delaware and Hudson Canal Company on May 1, 1871.

The R&S was merged into The Delaware and Hudson Railroad Corporation on January 30, 1945. During the long period of the lease, it was operated as part of "The Delaware and Hudson Canal Company's Railroads, Northern Railroad Division" and later The Delaware and Hudson Railroad Corporation.

That lining bar is probably an antique.

Into the 1970's, two seniority districts for train and engine crews had interdivisional runs between Oneonta, Colonie and Whitehall. The Susquehanna Division crews were know as "A&S Men" for the Albany and Susquehanna RR, and the Saratoga Division crews were known as "R&S Men." Old traditions die hard on the railroad.

by BR&P

Thanks!! I'm guessing that since my grandfather lived in Mechanicville he got it there from someone who worked for the D&H, and it's probably from that R&S rather than Rochester & Syracuse. Actually it's somewhat of a "junior" lining bar, about 45 inches long, and the 4 sides are 1 inch each. I've heard reference to a "spud bar" - exactly what is that and could this be one? Every lining bar I've used is considerably longer and heavier, but the same configuration.
  by ChiefTroll

I'm trying to think what the bar would be for. Does it have an enlarged and pointed end like a lining bar? If it has a lightly widened and blunt end it might be a tamping bar.

By the way, I was a bit off on the original name of the D&H. It was "The President, Managers and Company of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company." Try painting that on the side of a coach!!

by BR&P

The bar is 45 inches long. At the top end it is round, and about 5/8" in diameter. It stays round for 20 inches, gradually growing to about 1 inch in diameter. For the next 15 inches, it is 8-sided. Then it has 4 sides for 8 inches, and at the top of each of those 4 sides is the "R&S RR" stamp. Each of those 4 sides is one inch wide. The last 2 inches each of the 4 sides tapers to a point.

I have seen lining bars with pointed (4-side) ends, and also chisel point. This one is certainly 4-sided but just on a smaller scale than the ones I'm used to.
Then again, over time many things were made heavier and bigger.

And I agree, with a long name like that they'd never fit it on an old 4-wheel caboose!

by ChiefTroll

I suspect it was a lining bar, big enough for 56 lb rail in cinder or gravel ballast