• Proposed Revised CR Schedules for 2016

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Komarovsky

Rockingham Racer wrote:Allow me to quote myself:
Rockingham Racer wrote:I get a kick out of the "bullet train" moniker. San Francisco calls them "baby bullets". Is there going to be 186 MPH service out to Worcester? I predict that within 6 months, this train will add some stops. And if you're going to take it to work, you'd better be starting at 9:30 AM. :wink:
Let me just add that the outbound trip is convenient to anyone working until about 8 PM IIRC.
Agreed on the outbound train. Even if it became a Framingham and West style express like current 583, it would be a huge improvement over the locals only schedule that anyone working after 6 has to deal with.
  by Balerion

dbperry wrote:"HeartToHub" / "Bullet" / "Politician's Express" / "BS Express" will be re-evaluated after one year.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... rvice.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stephanie Pollack, Gov. Charlie Baker's transportation chief, said state officials are working "very closely" with the Worcester Chamber of Commerce to publicize and encourage people to take the new service.

"We told them we would run it for a year and if it doesn't build up enough ridership, then we will stop running it," Pollack said while speaking to members of Western Massachusetts chambers of commerce at the State House on Wednesday.
Interesting comments from our own occasional Framingham-Worcester line fellow passenger, Secretary Pollack.
From the article:
Because they have only one set of tracks available, the Boston-bound train has to be either the first one in the morning or the last one in the morning, otherwise it catches up with other trains in front of it and ends up coming in slowly, according to Pollack.
What are the constraints that prevent an express train from overtaking locals on the Framingham/Worcester line? Would it be possible if more crossovers were built? I imagine that the single-tracking through Beacon Park Yard and the one-sided platforms in Newton don't make life easier.
  by Rockingham Racer

Actually it seems to me that all the one-sided platforms would in fact make it easier to have overtakes between Yawkey and CP 11.
  by dbperry

Balerion wrote:What are the constraints that prevent an express train from overtaking locals on the Framingham/Worcester line? Would it be possible if more crossovers were built? I imagine that the single-tracking through Beacon Park Yard and the one-sided platforms in Newton don't make life easier.
Note that the current schedule has an express overtake a local once in the AM (P582 vs. P504) and once in the evening (P583 vs. P529). The AM overtake happens in Newton between CP 4 and CP 11 and the PM overtake usually happens around Wellesley Square between CP 11 and CP 21.

The spacing of crossovers makes the overtakes problematic, since those entire runs need to be 'one-way' for a long duration. Really hinders operations (look at current schedule for 'reverse commute' moves during those times) and can easily create big meltdowns if something goes wrong.

With regards to the new schedules, I had a discussion on my blog about this very subject - see comment from "Michael" here:
http://dbperry.weebly.com/blog/is-this- ... e#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael wrote:I'd disagree that a third track is needed to run an express past a local. Since reverse commute service has gaps of 40 to 90 minutes, that's plenty of time to switch onto the opposing track.
Dave wrote:Appropriate place to look at gaps is Framingham, since that is where everything converges. I don't see any 90 minute 'gaps' during rush hour, but there are a couple of 60 minute gaps. But you're correct, even with the limited number of crossovers on the line, a counter-move express can just fit into a 60 minute gap.

For example, if we insert an inbound express on the outbound tracks between P503 and P585, this new express could leave Framingham around 6:35 AM. It has to cross back over to get out of the way of P585 just after Wellesley Farms - that's the next crossover. P585 is at Wellesley Farms at 7:10 AM, so our new express does have time to make that run (probably only takes ~15 min to get to the crossover).

We'd have to do some more modeling to verify any additional trains would fit onto the schedule given the single track in Allston - that might be the killer bottleneck.
  by Balerion

dbperry wrote:The spacing of crossovers makes the overtakes problematic, since those entire runs need to be 'one-way' for a long duration. Really hinders operations (look at current schedule for 'reverse commute' moves during those times) and can easily create big meltdowns if something goes wrong.
Thanks. One more item for the Greater Boston transit wishlist.
  by Rockingham Racer

Didn't we hear recently that there'll crossovers at a new CP6?
  by dbperry

Rockingham Racer wrote:Didn't we hear recently that there'll crossovers at a new CP6?
Kind of. New interlocking / crossovers at CP 6 only replace the CP 4 crossover / interlocking which is being abolished. No net gain.
  by Rockingham Racer

dbperry wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:Didn't we hear recently that there'll crossovers at a new CP6?
Kind of. New interlocking / crossovers at CP 6 only replace the CP 4 crossover / interlocking which is being abolished. No net gain.
Ah I see. Better spacing though. 3 miles isn't really a lot real of estate to get up to a decent speed to run around a local ahead of you. You'd almost have to run around all the way to Cove, I think. Or inbound start the run around at CP 11 and go back over at CP 6 or 3. That would let you run faster for a longer distance.
  by njtmnrrbuff

While it's a nice addition to have that super express added to the timetable, I am skeptical about the ridership because that train will probably cater to those passengers who are working any shifts between 9:30 and 7:00. It will certainly be good for those people who want to work overtime as well as those who want to spend a long day in Boston.
  by BostonUrbEx

The Worcester Express train does not need to cater to people both ways. In fact, very few will probably actually use it in both directions. Using it only in one direction still gives you back 30 minutes per day. It will also be convenient to those who hit the gym before or after work, and those who enjoy the ever-popular after-work drinking session. Time will tell, but don't base your judgement on who will take it both ways every day.
  by dbperry

I've posted my updated analysis of the new Framingham-Worcester schedule on my blog. Best part of the post is all the creative alternative names for the bullet train.

http://dbperry.weebly.com/blog/final-ma ... -published" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by octr202

IF they do implement 3 car sets, I could see the Fairmont trains being operated with them as well. Maybe they'll have a pool of 3-packs for Readville shuttles, maybe even some short midday trains (Needham midday?) and the BSX (Bullet).

Wow, really thinking crazy here, if they could rehab some of the 10-15 dead F40PH-2C's we could really start to run more frequent service in a lot of places with the extra motive power and these short sets. I won't hold my breath...
  by ohalloranchris

octr202 wrote:IF they do implement 3 car sets, I could see the Fairmont trains being operated with them as well. Maybe they'll have a pool of 3-packs for Readville shuttles, maybe even some short midday trains (Needham midday?) and the BSX (Bullet).

Wow, really thinking crazy here, if they could rehab some of the 10-15 dead F40PH-2C's we could really start to run more frequent service in a lot of places with the extra motive power and these short sets. I won't hold my breath...
Or find some old RDC's kicking around somewhere (don't worry, I am joking, but it would be cool for nostalgic purposes)...
  by Rockingham Racer

ohalloranchris wrote:
octr202 wrote:IF they do implement 3 car sets, I could see the Fairmont trains being operated with them as well. Maybe they'll have a pool of 3-packs for Readville shuttles, maybe even some short midday trains (Needham midday?) and the BSX (Bullet).

Or find some old RDC's kicking around somewhere (don't worry, I am joking, but it would be cool for nostalgic purposes)...
TRE in Dallas just retired some, and I think they came from the B&M, LOL!
  by dbperry

Properly formatted PDF schedules (like the printed versions) are available on each line's individual 'schedule' web page.

For example, go to this page for Framingham Worcester:
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/ ... e=WORCSTER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there is a link to get this PDF:
http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Docum ... cester.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;