• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

Regarding the NYC electrics that are still there, anything else to report on those? I'm assuming
those are way too far gone to have had any chance of doing anything with them--even if they're
stuffed and mounted?

Charlie
  by lvrr325

They're at the other location. I'm not sure they're electrically compatible still - but even if they are, they're dead shells, too much vandalism.
  by Otto Vondrak

I removed off-topic posts. I'd really like to limit this thread to the discussion of the disposal of the equipment, thanks.

-otto-
  by traingeek8223

Thank you Otto. Now back to rumors and speculation. I have been told by local CP management that they are in the process of legally taking possession of the rest of the equipment in Colonie. The person we talked to was not sure what the railroad planned to do with them, just that they "have to go". He seemed to think something will happen before the end of the year.
  by Alcoman

nessman wrote:Not surprising that CP has finally taken this step.

What equipment remains?
ALCO S-1 X-LIRR 417:2
ALCO RS-3 x-D&H 4082 painted for Albany Port # 2
ALCO S-2 x-D&H Painted for APR # 1
NYC Passenger car minus trucks
NYC Baggage Car
D&H "Worlds Fair " passenger car
D&H passenger coach
  by traingeek8223

One correction John: APR #2 is ex. D&H 4126.

The NYC passenger car is the "Rapid Stream". The Baggage car and "Worlds Fair" coach are now owned by the Saratoga North Creek, but I hear they are backing out of the project.

We (ALCO) recently talked to the owner of the ex. Long Island S1 and he has started taking the necessary steps toward scrapping. He is interested in selling parts of it though and anyone in need can PM me and I will put you in contact with the parties involved. At one time it had a good generator, cylinder heads, muffler, wheels, TMs (leads cut), trucks, liners, pistons, injectors, compressor, maybe radiators and water pump. The block is cracked, electrical cabinet and cab are pretty well gutted and couplers are missing.
  by Alcoman

traingeek8223 wrote:One correction John: APR #2 is ex. D&H 4126.

The NYC passenger car is the "Rapid Stream". The Baggage car and "Worlds Fair" coach are now owned by the Saratoga North Creek, but I hear they are backing out of the project.

We (ALCO) recently talked to the owner of the ex. Long Island S1 and he has started taking the necessary steps toward scrapping. He is interested in selling parts of it though and anyone in need can PM me and I will put you in contact with the parties involved. At one time it had a good generator, cylinder heads, muffler, wheels, TMs (leads cut), trucks, liners, pistons, injectors, compressor, maybe radiators and water pump. The block is cracked, electrical cabinet and cab are pretty well gutted and couplers are missing.
I was trying to recall from memory as I did not have any reference close at hand. I would suggest that S-1 owner strip the unit of any useable parts and sell them before scrapping. Matt; if you would forward the guys name to me via e-mail as I know of someone who may be interested in some or all of the parts.
John
  by lvrr325

Might give some thought to calling Catskill Mountain Railroad and see if they need any spares and donate a few pieces to them. They have at least three locomotives that run Alco 539s, including one long out of service RS1.
  by traingeek8223

Has anything else been scrapped at Colonie??
Nothing else has happened yet.
  by C&O 15

Does anybody have an update on this equipment, particularly the NYC sleeper/lounge? Still there? Thanks in advance.
  by Otto Vondrak

Railpace reported last month that the Danbury Railway Museum is now the owner of the NYC electrics... If that is the case, then they are probably safer staying in Glenmont.

-otto-