• Power outlets on pax cars/emu.

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by TREnecNYP

I was just curious as to what voltage the outlets are on the arrows comets and mlv, which has them which don't and why arrows have so many.

- A
  by Darien Red Sox

Metro North is going to have outlets by each seat for customer use on the M8 cars. Other than that I don't know of any other commuter railroad that has them for "passenger use".
  by amtrakhogger

The outlets on NJT equipment are rated at 110VAC but are meant for maintenance personnel and not passengers.
  by fishmech

amtrakhogger wrote:The outlets on NJT equipment are rated at 110VAC but are meant for maintenance personnel and not passengers.
Doesn't stop all of them on a rush hour train from being used by guys with laptops though.
  by TREnecNYP

Wow that other thread is like western div PC freight ops in 1970!!

Thanks for the info, I was just curious about how many etc. I use them because I'm basically poor and can't afford to use a payphone at whichever station if my iphone's battery goes dead. Since I'm between my travel end points a lot, it can become an issue, but I don't plug in unless the meter is in the red and I can apropreatly utilize an outlet. I never take it as a feature of njtr pax ops, just a safety net, usually only on my way home.

As far as proper use by rrd/rail ops.... I can only say that if you're clocked in and working on train, unless it's being turned, in yard etc. I hope to never see an apple mini phone charger leading into the cab of a mu again, which I was kinda erked about, especially after all the hugely public incidents involving texting while equipment/vehicle operating. It's nice to have, but it isn't really there and should be seen as off limits as door controls in most instances to pax.

- A
  by Jtgshu

TREnecNYP wrote:Wow that other thread is like western div PC freight ops in 1970!!

Thanks for the info, I was just curious about how many etc. I use them because I'm basically poor and can't afford to use a payphone at whichever station if my iphone's battery goes dead. Since I'm between my travel end points a lot, it can become an issue, but I don't plug in unless the meter is in the red and I can apropreatly utilize an outlet. I never take it as a feature of njtr pax ops, just a safety net, usually only on my way home.

As far as proper use by rrd/rail ops.... I can only say that if you're clocked in and working on train, unless it's being turned, in yard etc. I hope to never see an apple mini phone charger leading into the cab of a mu again, which I was kinda erked about, especially after all the hugely public incidents involving texting while equipment/vehicle operating. It's nice to have, but it isn't really there and should be seen as off limits as door controls in most instances to pax.

- A
You had to get that zinger in there, didn't ya?

It was NEVER mentioned in this thread or the other thread about engineers using plugs to charge their personal cell phones in and use them. That is a whole other topic and discussion and if you wanna get this thread locked up quicker than the other one, you are well on your way.....

I thought it was obvious in the other thread that the RR use was for cleaning and mechanical forces, not engineers txting on their phones while flyig down NEC at 100mph with 1500 people on the train....
  by Uzi-Cat

I use them because I'm basically poor and can't afford to use a payphone at whichever station if my iphone's battery goes dead.
Many "poor" people have iphones. I guess the definition of poor has changed.
  by boxcar

I'm poor! Does anyone want to donate to the Boxcar charity?
  by TheTroll

wpdj61 wrote:
I use them because I'm basically poor and can't afford to use a payphone at whichever station if my iphone's battery goes dead.
I was thinking the same thing. Wish I was poor, maybe then I could get a big screen tv! :P
  by Darien Red Sox

TREnecNYP wrote: I use them because I'm basically poor and can't afford to use a payphone at whichever station if my iphone's battery goes dead. Since I'm between my travel end points a lot, it can become an issue, but I don't plug in unless the meter is in the red and I can apropreatly utilize an outlet.
- A
You guys still have pay phones in NJ?? In CT they have long since disappeared from all of the stations and other public places, because of this having a cell phone has turned into a necessity as it is the only way to make a call away from home. I am guessing that AT&T wised up and determined that if all of the pay phones were ripped out (which were used by very few people anyway) they could make more money off of cell phone contracts.
wpdj61 wrote:
At many peoples jobs now they ether provide them with a smart phone or tell them they need to have one so they can then have the person at work 24-7. I know people who have bosses who will email them when they are in the middle of the woods camping and expect a reply within a very short amount of time. I love the fact that my cell phone dose not have email so if I am away from a computer for an extend I have an excuse not to respond to emails.
  by Woodcrest295

many commuter operations in this country have outlets for people to use right at their seats . seattle, la, minniapolis, dallas, salt lake city, and others
  by sixty-six

fishmech wrote:Doesn't stop all of them on a rush hour train from being used by guys with laptops though.
Doesnt stop me from turning the breakers off in every car I work.
TREnecNYP wrote:As far as proper use by rrd/rail ops.... I can only say that if you're clocked in and working on train, unless it's being turned, in yard etc. I hope to never see an apple mini phone charger leading into the cab of a mu again, which I was kinda erked about, especially after all the hugely public incidents involving texting while equipment/vehicle operating. It's nice to have, but it isn't really there and should be seen as off limits as door controls in most instances to pax.
Good job dude, you had to mention that huh? How about we go to your work and complain about every little thing we see although we have no idea in the least about your job? wpdj61, cruiser, and myself are always up for a road trip.
  by cruiser939

TREnecNYP wrote:As far as proper use by rrd/rail ops.... I can only say that if you're clocked in and working on train, unless it's being turned, in yard etc. I hope to never see an apple mini phone charger leading into the cab of a mu again, which I was kinda erked about, especially after all the hugely public incidents involving texting while equipment/vehicle operating.
Ugh. Did you see the phone in the engineer's hand and him talking on it while operating the train? If not, what would irk me is you coming on here with your accusations about things you didn't even witness. I have a crappy battery which requires frequent charging. When I charge my phone it's always powered off. If I were to be operating a train with you on it should I expect to be blown in because of your assumptions?
TREnecNYP wrote:It's nice to have, but it isn't really there and should be seen as off limits as door controls in most instances to pax.
Passengers should only be barred from using door controls in "most instances"? No, passengers should be barred from using door controls in ALL instances. They are not trained in the use of the control panel, which is why there are emergency handles for the doors.
  by cruiser939

boxcar wrote:I'm poor! Does anyone want to donate to the Boxcar charity?
Feed the cruiser939 foundation. It's a 501 c 3 charity.

Come on guys, I'm hungry!