• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Pinewald Station

Question 3 answer is Stella Lumber's former site.
not sure about the other 3 questions
  by GSC

For question #4: The CNJ Toms River station was on the old Route 9 (now Rt 166) on the south side of the river bridge. Have to check a map, but the station you are referring to might be the Germania station.
  by Pinewald Station

GSC wrote:For question #4: The CNJ Toms River station was on the old Route 9 (now Rt 166) on the south side of the river bridge. Have to check a map, but the station you are referring to might be the Germania station.
Was ther any pictures of that "station"? I used to work at a buisiness on that road and always wondered about thias!
  by David

What about placing the New Jersey RailRoad Museum at the end of the Tom's River Industrial Track where the old Ciba plant was once. There is a lot of land there and it is in Central Jersey where the northern and southern parts of the state can reach easily? The Ciba plant had many sidings and I might be wrong, but isn't there still trackage in there?
  by Pinewald Station

I think Ciba/BSF has plans for the site already. From what I have heard, the land will be considered "cleaned up" in about a year. So what happens after that , who knows? I'd be all for that idea though!
  by GSC

The Ciba site would be good for a museum, and something I've said for years...the start of MOM service. A nice yard, space for parking, good handy location (you folks from this area know what a disaster the Rt 37 / GSP interchange can be, especially at rush hours and summer weekends).

I've never seen a photo of the Germania station, or even if it was an actual structure.
  by Pinewald Station

GSC wrote:The Ciba site would be good for a museum, and something I've said for years...the start of MOM service. A nice yard, space for parking, good handy location (you folks from this area know what a disaster the Rt 37 / GSP interchange can be, especially at rush hours and summer weekends).

I've never seen a photo of the Germania station, or even if it was an actual structure.
I'mon the same page with you about MOM and Ciba.......afterb\ they destroyed the site
I thinl that would be a perfect use of the property .You would attract more ridership in TR than
Lakehurst especially with more parking.......

Not sure about the Germania Station Rd name tag. Worked back there for 5 years and anybody I asked
never knew anything about it. Maybe OCTrainguy would know?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Toms River already has a park/ride already at the bus terminal downtown by Interchange 81. Ironically the bus terminal is located on the old ROW.
  by GSC

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Toms River already has a park/ride already at the bus terminal downtown by Interchange 81. Ironically the bus terminal is located on the old ROW.
Move the bus terminal to the new NJT "Transportation Village" at Ciba, and you could take either way to work. I'd prefer the train to a bus that gets stuck in GSP traffic any day. Sell the current bus terminal to any of a number of drooling developers.

It'll never happen, but I can dream...
  by Blackseal Jim

If located at the former Ciba property, you would also possibly have a chance at excursions on the TRIT . RMNE runs on CDOT track.
Jim H
  by GSC

Would be a nice couple-mile round trip. Just have to dodge seniors coming in and out of their cages, uh, villages.

Their driving skills have reached a new low. There was a fatal head-on INSIDE of (original) Leisure Village two weeks ago.
  by southern sec. kid

id love to see traffic on the TRIT but those dreams are shattered for now unfortunatly. as of now we wont even see an engine on that loading facility siding :(
  by JimBoylan

There were supposed to be about 12 Hi-cube boxcars of powdered clay in large sacks to Ciba-Geigy in May, 2010. Because of missing switches and other track problems, about half of the traffic was trucked all the way from the mine in Wyoming. The other 6 box car loads were diverted to Fairless, Pa., on Tyburn RR to be unloaded, and the product trucked from there to Ciba-Geigy.
  by Pinewald Station

It figures...i drove under the Ciba Geigy rte 37 crossing today like every day thinking they redid that crossing in the late 80s and what a waste it was....I heard horns the other day....somebody must have had a train horn on their car/truck !!
  by gravelyfan

JimBoylan wrote:There were supposed to be about 12 Hi-cube boxcars of powdered clay in large sacks to Ciba-Geigy in May, 2010. Because of missing switches and other track problems, about half of the traffic was trucked all the way from the mine in Wyoming. The other 6 box car loads were diverted to Fairless, Pa., on Tyburn RR to be unloaded, and the product trucked from there to Ciba-Geigy.
If those cars were Plate F cars, they never could have gotten to the TRIT, as there are low clearances between Wood and Essay on the North Jersey Coast Line (the route used by the Oak Island - Browns Yard transfer job).