• The Freehold Secondary Mystery

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Blackseal Jim

Nice shots ! Keep an eye out for a Blue Mack boom truck parked next to the boxcar on the team track. He's the one that recieves the red brick.
Jim H
  by Blackseal Jim

New mystery. Train came through Freehold at 6:30 pm on Monday. Came through again at 9:00 pm. I know that it goes through town to Prestone and back , but it repeated this move. Then I saw the train at 2:30 pm on Tues going to Prestone with a covered hopper , 3 tankers and the splat . Any one have any idea whats going on?
Jim H
  by Kaback9

Blackseal Jim wrote:New mystery. Train came through Freehold at 6:30 pm on Monday. Came through again at 9:00 pm. I know that it goes through town to Prestone and back , but it repeated this move. Then I saw the train at 2:30 pm on Tues going to Prestone with a covered hopper , 3 tankers and the splat . Any one have any idea whats going on?
Jim H
I saw it on Monday but did not have the camera with me, I did not know it came back Tues.
  by Pacobell73

When was the last time a train trekked between Freehold and Farmingdale?
  by Kaback9

Pacobell73 wrote:When was the last time a train trekked between Freehold and Farmingdale?
I think some of the ROW is actually ripped up as of now. Anyway to answer your question read back in this thread I think it was mentioned.
  by Blackseal Jim

The ROW between Freehold and Farmingdale is intact , but is becoming covered in brush and trees. As far as the last train through to Farmingdale , I think there was a move of a piece of equipment for a communications company in the mid 90's. That has been it since then. You couldnt even Hi Rail it now.
Jim H
  by Kaback9

Blackseal Jim wrote:The ROW between Freehold and Farmingdale is intact , but is becoming covered in brush and trees. As far as the last train through to Farmingdale , I think there was a move of a piece of equipment for a communications company in the mid 90's. That has been it since then. You couldnt even Hi Rail it now.
Jim H
your right I walked it this morning, its in terrible shape, in someplaces I couldn't find the rail.
  by ChrisU

What is the portion that is used?
  by Kaback9

NJTArrow2 wrote:What is the portion that is used?
From Jamesburg to Freehold.
  by ChrisU

Thanks does SA31 go down the Freehold secondary and what time do trains run on the secondary.
  by Kaback9

NJTArrow2 wrote:Thanks does SA31 go down the Freehold secondary and what time do trains run on the secondary.
Read back in the thread, but usually Mondays 4pm its in Freehold. However I don't know its exact schedule anymore. Wofboy can you help?
  by Eric Mezzo

Kaback9 is actually right about the usual Monday trips at about 4pm. Up until about a year ago the train only came on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Lately they've been coming alot on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I heard it on a Tuesday night and again the following Wednesday night. I even heard it on a Sunday night at 10. It's schedule is very irregular for some reason and is getting me frustrated. Maybe this is a result of the SA-35 merging with the SA-31and the conflicting runs down the Southern Secondary and the Freehold Secondary? I don't know...
  by Kaback9

Eric Mezzo wrote:Kaback9 is actually right about the usual Monday trips at about 4pm. Up until about a year ago the train only came on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Lately they've been coming alot on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I heard it on a Tuesday night and again the following Wednesday night. I even heard it on a Sunday night at 10. It's schedule is very irregular for some reason and is getting me frustrated. Maybe this is a result of the SA-35 merging with the SA-31and the conflicting runs down the Southern Secondary and the Freehold Secondary? I don't know...
Right now they are doing some Track work on certain sections of the lines out of Browns so for all we know that could be screwing things up.
  by GSC

End-of-service on the Freehold Secondary is between Lanes Mills Road and Okerson Road, I think that's Freehold Township. From the By-pass Route 33 bridge over the ROW you can see the exact end of service at the offloading site for Prestone. (Look "compass" west / railroad east from the bridge, you'll see where the overgrowth starts)

About three years ago I saw some MOW equipment parked right at the Howell Road crossing for a few days, "compass east" (railroad west) of the By-pass Route 33 bridge.

Historical writings say this line was once so busy PRR planned to double-track it. Sure not that way anymore. Wonder how cost effective it is to runs any trains at all on this line?
  by gravelyfan

Blackseal Jim wrote:The ROW between Freehold and Farmingdale is intact , but is becoming covered in brush and trees. As far as the last train through to Farmingdale , I think there was a move of a piece of equipment for a communications company in the mid 90's. That has been it since then. You couldnt even Hi Rail it now.
Jim H
Hi Jim,

I hyrailed all the way through in 1995. More recent trips have had to get off at Oakerson Road.

Hope all is well with you.

Rich