Railroad Forums 

• The Freehold Secondary Mystery

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#603112  by Kaback9

They seem to be running on a late nigt schedule now, This is the second time in a few weeks they have been down late. Could this have something to do with the MOW equip or have they decided to bring back running it at night I remember a few years back getting out of soccer games against Freehold and Manalapan teams and hearing the train and that was around 915 when the game was over.
 #603244  by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Kaback9 wrote:They seem to be running on a late nigt schedule now, This is the second time in a few weeks they have been down late. Could this have something to do with the MOW equip or have they decided to bring back running it at night I remember a few years back getting out of soccer games against Freehold and Manalapan teams and hearing the train and that was around 915 when the game was over.
I'd say it has to do with the MOW. The Village Dr. and Lake Ave.? crossings were completely ripped up yesterday because of rail replacement going on in the early afternoon. It sounds like they ran after this was cleared up. As of 8AM the crossing was still without asphalt but the tracks seemed to be finished with some tamping going on around Noon.

Word from the yardmaster via scanner reception...train leaving Browns heading west at 3:20PM. Not sure what line he'll take after Jamesburg.
 #603326  by 1st Barnegat

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) wrote:Does anyone happen to work/live/frequent Freehold enough to provide a heads up on cars sitting at BG? Any reports of what cars are there would help enormously...
To confirm Blackseal, I heard several train horn blasts from SA31 yesterday as it passed through town around 8PM to service the tank car customer. Seems to occur Mondays more often than not.
 #603327  by wolfboy8171981

Went to the Hightstown today.

There is a mty work train coming to Browns tonite or tomorrow to get in position to pick up all the NS MOW equipment. NS gang should be gone by friday.
 #603398  by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Blackseal Jim wrote:The train went all the way through to Prestone around 8pm and came back through at 9pm. Bad timing as my wife and I just put the kids to bed and we live three blocks south from the exPRR station! Ill see if I can post whats is at BGS tomorrow. They seem to run Mondays regularly. Hope this helps Andrew
Jim H
Thanks for the update! Any luck getting a look at BG?
 #604034  by Shark

Strayed off course this morning and swung by Builder's General. Aside from the thirty or so day laborers camped out on the tracks and the two empty centerbeam flats inside Builder's General, there was not much else to see.
 #604035  by Kaback9

Shark wrote:Strayed off course this morning and swung by Builder's General. Aside from the thirty or so day laborers camped out on the tracks and the two empty centerbeam flats inside Builder's General, there was not much else to see.
When you take a picture the day laborers run.
 #605661  by Kaback9

I'm either crazy or right but I just heard a horn not to long ago coming from Freehold. I was out walking my dog.
 #605826  by Blackseal Jim

I heard them come through last nite around 8:45 pm. I couldnt tell if they were headed to Prestone or back to Browns. They really seem to be running late these days. I have however, seen the train on Mondays, then again on Tuesdays, so your not crazy. Although, If you ever see a light Blue Peterbuilt parked by the yard in Freehold, that might be the source of the Loco horn. He's got a 3 chime mounted in it . Sounds fantastic and he likes to sound it !
Jim H
 #605921  by Kaback9

Blackseal Jim wrote:I heard them come through last nite around 8:45 pm. I couldnt tell if they were headed to Prestone or back to Browns. They really seem to be running late these days. I have however, seen the train on Mondays, then again on Tuesdays, so your not crazy. Although, If you ever see a light Blue Peterbuilt parked by the yard in Freehold, that might be the source of the Loco horn. He's got a 3 chime mounted in it . Sounds fantastic and he likes to sound it !
Jim H
Ok glad to hear I'm not crazy :-) . It was around 8:45 I was out, I thought about driving down to Freehold maybe I should have.
 #606447  by Eric Mezzo

I heard the horn AGAIN tonight. My dad was with me putting up christmas lights and we heard it at 5:10 at Mt. Vernon Rd. and 5:15 at Conover and Station Rd. in Englishtown. The train is heading to Freehold if anybody will be able to read this post in time. It'll be worth seeing, he's an aggressive blower.

And yes, I have the horn timings memorized and can give their location. Comes in handy a lot... :wink:
 #607466  by Blackseal Jim

I drove past Builders Gen on Tuesday 11/25, . Yep, you were right . There was the train at 9:30am with about 7 cars. It looked
like they were getting ready to switch out BGN. Cant figure out the schedule. Did they outlaw Monday nite ?
Jim H
 #608058  by Eric Mezzo

I don't think any trains will run today. After what Blackseal Jim said yesterday about SA-31, it isn't likely that they'll do any runs since they covered BG yesterday. But you never know, it is the SA-31. Just like Kaback9 says, the SA-31 runs when they feel like running it. They might get silly and go to Prestone or something :-). I'll be listening tonight...

Also, this is the first reported time that I have ever heard of the SA-31 laying over at BG Saturday night and then drilling early Sunday morning. This is ridiculous. This is NOT THE SOUTHERN SECONDARY. BRING BACK SA-35......NOW!!!
 #608084  by Kaback9

Jim was talking about what he saw Tuesday I think? If im reading that right. Yeah they do run when they want :-D so maybe will see them tomorrow or Wed? If not I guess sometime next week.