Railroad Forums 

• The Freehold Secondary Mystery

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1566876  by GSC

I wasn't there for the train vs SUV event, I heard about it. I was told it was a shoved tanker winning the battle. Wrong info, obviously. I wondered about that myself, seeing how the Prestone trackage is set up.

My dad and I were into restoring old cars, and researched the 40s-50s cars. The 53-54 Chevies were sort of a transition from the "bathtub/belly tank" look of the early 50s to the "Tri-5" look of the 55-56-57 Chebbies. Most cars followed this trend. My aunt had a 56 Ford Victoria (black over white, what a car!) that shared almost the same styling as the Tri-5s.
 #1566923  by pumpers

GSC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 pm My dad and I were into restoring old cars, and researched the 40s-50s cars.
Did you research any 48 Chevy's? Here's Mom showing off on Dad's 48 Chevy (his 3rd car)
 #1567128  by GSC

pumpers wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:22 pm
GSC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 pm My dad and I were into restoring old cars, and researched the 40s-50s cars.
Did you research any 48 Chevy's? Here's Mom showing off on Dad's 48 Chevy (his 3rd car)
My first car was a 48 Chevy! A two-door coupe, not a fastback like yours. Not as fancy or as much chrome, it was a "Fleetmaster". Vacuum shift (that didn't work that well) and knee-action front shocks. Rebuilt the engine once. Loved that car, it had about 200,000 miles when it decided it had enough. Followed by a 49 Studebaker pickup, a 50 Merc, and a 51 Chrysler. Dad's baby was the Merc and a 36 Buick with a straight-8. Plus my grandfather's 56 Dodge. A yard full.

I still have the chrome strips for a 48 Chevy that went along the bottom between the front and rear wheel wells, if anyone needs them.
 #1574042  by brwfan

Was working down that way running stone yesterday. I missed the train but saw they pulled a empty center beam car and dropped a tank car at Brick Recycling.
 #1592954  by CharlieL

A little off-topic perhaps, but does anyone know what's going on with the "emergency repairs" to the rte 33 bridge over the FIT ? It's been closed since mid-December, with crews working away at it. Must have been significantly compromised.