• Mount Arlington Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by NJTRailfan

For an 10-12 car train it would but it shouldn't have been that much to make it long enough for a 6 car atleast. But from what my Dad and I saw atleast the platfoms from the eastern side looked like they could easily be extended if needed to be for demand. You can't extend it on the otherside since Howard BLVD is on the western end plus the hill gets a bit steeper. On the eastern end it's a bit level.

by nick11a

Well, as of now, the longest train west of Dover usually is no longer than six cars I beleive. Correct me if I'm wrong please.... but that is what I have seen.

And if NJT ever does get around to extending the wire to Port Morris (which I suspect they will), then you can look for upgrades to Mount Arlington Station.

by NJTRailfan

On my way back I saw Mt Arlington had one of those portable watch your speed signs but the text on it said "Mt Arlington Station Dedication Jan 20th."

by nick11a

So, it took almost two years to complete this project IIRC. I guess NJT was in no hurry to finish this project for whatever reason.

by geoffand

nick11a wrote:So, it took almost two years to complete this project IIRC. I guess NJT was in no hurry to finish this project for whatever reason.
Well, more like a year and a half. For what the station is, it seems a little long... but really it isn't THAT bad.

How long did the rehabilitation of Madison station take? 15 years?

by nick11a

geoffand wrote:
nick11a wrote:So, it took almost two years to complete this project IIRC. I guess NJT was in no hurry to finish this project for whatever reason.
Well, more like a year and a half. For what the station is, it seems a little long... but really it isn't THAT bad.

How long did the rehabilitation of Madison station take? 15 years?
Hehe. It just seems longer..... I'm curious to see the ridership on this station. I think it will do pretty well in the long run, but we'll see.

by lensovet

btw, in case anyone cares, they broke ground on it on June 12, 2006. So yeah, not too bad.

by njtmnrrbuff

If the Morris and Essex Line is electrified to PM, then the platform at Mt. Arlington would have to be extended even more. Something tells me that the new station will do well, in the long run, as it's easily accessible from 80. There seems to be a lot more parking there than Dover, but more trains should serve it.

by njmidland

So can anyone show up for the dedication? Since it is on a Sunday are they bringing a special train in or will this be a trainless event.

Years ago I rode a special NJT ran from Newark to AC the day before regular service started (at that time only from Lindenwold). They had NJT-1, the former CNJ Blue Comet car along with special timetables, commemorative ticket, posters, etc. I am guessing this won't have the same bang.

By the way has anyone ever seen a picture of the original DL&W Mt. Arlington station?

by NJTRailfan

I haven't seen a picture of the station but I did hear it was a wooden structure. I would like to see a train there but on Sunday who knows unless if they are using one to carry dignitaries. I will be there.

by alewifebp

njmidland wrote:They had NJT-1, the former CNJ Blue Comet car along with special timetables, commemorative ticket, posters, etc. I am guessing this won't have the same bang.
I can guarantee that they won't have the NJT-1. Click picture to see why.

Photo courtesy URHS.

by northjerseybuff

is the dedication sat or sunday? I heard it was sat at 11am?

by Devil 505

The dedication is on Sunday the 20th. I'm not sure about the time though.

by cjvrr

The invitation I obtained says 11am. But with anticipated temps of 23 degrees, doubt I am going to show up.

Good luck to all those that go.

Chris