• Green Line Elevated demolition

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Railsfuture1

I have heard things about there being a new Lechmere station. I thought they were only rebuilding the line between the new North Station and Science Park.

by Ron Newman

Relocation of Lechmere station is a separate project, years away. I don't think there are even firm site plans yet showing what it will look like.

If anyone at all has a copy of the article that someone found in today's Globe City & Region section, please post it here. It is simply not in the home-delivery edition that I received.

by Ron Newman

From today's edition of the MBTA Transit Updates page:
Lechmere Shuttle Change: Charles River Park bus stop will be closed intermittently until early October

Starting the night of Friday, August 27, and lasting until early October, Nashua Street and Martha Road will be closed at various times for the demolition of the elevated Green Line tracks. The Charles River Park stop on the Green Line Lechmere Shuttle will be closed, and the Museum stop will be moved around the corner to Land Boulevard. We apologize for the inconvenience.
I'd hate to be a regular user of either of these substitute bus stops, because I wouldn't have a clue when it's open, when it's closed, and when it's moved to some other place.

by Ron Newman

I went to the North End Branch Library and found that the article was on page B3 of their copy of the Globe, but not in my Somerville home-delivered copy. It's also online now:

Workers to resume dismantling Green Line section
Demolition of the elevated Green Line near the Museum of Science is tentatively scheduled to resume tonight and continue through the weekend, much to the dismay of residents who descended on City Hall last week to demand a halt to the project.
The work is tentatively scheduled to resume tonight with steel removal at 11 p.m. and will end at 5 a.m. Tomorrow, concrete removal will begin at 7 a.m. and end at 10 p.m.; the same goes for Sunday.

From Monday through Friday, concrete demolition will occur from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Steel removal will then resume from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. throughout the week.

by octr202

Okay Ron -- I've been trying to get to my copy all day to tell you where it was -- but you beat me to it. All I can say is Watertown got it in their papers this morning!

by Ron Newman

I passed through this area several times today. The construction folks were busy at work around 10 am, and still at it around 8:45 pm, but had at least temporarily stopped work by 10 pm.

They've removed all of the concrete between Science Park and the beginning of the "Basketball City garage" (intersection of Martha Road and Lowell Street).

by Ron Newman

A few new photos from yesterday's demolition here. Also has some photos of the back of North Station/FleetCenter with the highway ramps entirely removed.

by Ron Newman

From today's MBTA Transit Update page:

Lechmere Shuttle Change: Charles River Park bus stop will be closed intermittently until early October

Starting the morning of Tuesday, August 31st, and continuing until Sunday, September 5th, Lomasney Way and Martha Road will be closed at various times for the demolition of the elevated Green Line tracks. The Charles River Park stop on the Green Line Lechmere Shuttle will be closed, and the Museum stop will be moved around the corner to Land Boulevard. During this time, the Charles River Park stops will be closed and the Science Museum stop will move, but all other stops will be served in their existing locations. The Charles River Park stop will be closed and the Science Museum Stop will move at these times:

Tuesday, August 31 - 9:30AM - 7:00PM.
Wednesday Sept. 4 - Friday Sept.3 - 7:00AM - 7:00PM.
Saturday Sept. 4 – Sunday Sept. 5: All day
Monday Sept. 6 (Labor Day): Open all day
Tuesday Sept. 7 – Friday Sept 10: 9:30AM-3:30PM, and after 11pm
Saturday Sept. 11 – Sunday Sept 12: All day
Monday Sept. 13 – early October: After 11 PM

This schedule is tentative and subject to change. For more information call the MBTA at 617-222-3200 (TTY 222-5146).

by Ron Newman

They've now changed the page to remove everything after September 5th. Maybe this won't take as long as originally expected?

by Ron Newman

This morning they are removing concrete from the elevated above Lowell Street. They made Lowell Street one-way, one lane, eastbound only, which caused quite a traffic jam on Causeway.

by octr202

Ron -- how's the steel dismantling coming? yesterday it looked like they still had only taken the steel skelaton down from the first couple sections at Leveritt Circle. Talking to some of the construction guys on teh ground gave the impression that they'll be done with everything up to Causeway St. by the end of the weekend.

by Ron Newman

I haven't seen any more steel dismantled yet. I'm surprised they are working on Lowell Street now instead of finishing up on Martha Road.

by octr202

Perhaps the steel will be done over the weekend. That's going to take a parade of flatbed trucks to carry away all those steel beams, so it might be easier to get all that truck traffic around downtown on a weekend.

by Ron Newman

By 6:30 this evening they had removed all of the concrete from the Martha Road and Lowell Street sections of the El, stopping just short of Causeway Street. No more steel removal yet.

by Ron Newman

This morning, I still didn't see any evidence of steel removal, but they are now removing concrete from the curve at Lowell and Causeway Streets.