• Green Line Elevated demolition

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Ron Newman

I talked to a T worker today in the huge temporary parking lot across from the FleetCenter. He told me that demolition of the former Green Line el should start next Monday, starting from the Science Park end.

by vanshnookenraggen

I wonder if they demolish the Science Park end first if that will shave any time away from connecting the tunnel to the station. I know that there is a ramp being built right now that cant go any higher because of the El but if they get that done first, will it still take a year?

Also, are they planning on cleaning up Science Park during all this? It is a very shabby station.

by Ron Newman

That's why they are demolishing that end first.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh good, finally they are working on this project now that the DNC is behind us. Although we will miss the old EL at Causeway Street.

by Ron Newman

They've been removing track for some time now.

by MBTA1

They are also touching up the viaduct.

by Ron Newman

What do you mean by "touching up" and where? I would hope they are only "touching up" the part of the viaduct that will remain standing.

by MBTA1

the Science Park - Lechmere will remain standing. That bridge is called the viaduct, it will have certain sections patched up that are in disrepair.

by Ron Newman

This morning around 10:15 I was entering North Station on a Fitchburg commuter train, and noticed a bunch of workers in orange suits standing on the Lechmere el drawbridge, with two small American flags on either side. I guess this was some sort of ceremony but I don't know what for.
  by highgreen1

I still think it's going to be a helluva climb from the tunnel up to the viaduct.

by Ron Newman

Probably no more than the old climb was at Haymarket portal.

by MBTA1

[quote]Probably no more than the old climb was at Haymarket portal.[/quote]
I agree it looks about the same angle.

by parovozis

MBTA1 wrote:
Probably no more than the old climb was at Haymarket portal.
I agree it looks about the same angle.
It must be the same(according to all the laws of geometry :wink: )

by Ron Newman

Not necessarily, since there may be a difference in altitude between the base of the old portal and the base of the new one. But I don't think there is very much.

by ckb

Umm ... high school geometry .... slope is rise over run. So while the same height must be acheived, the distance over which the climb is actually made (here constricted by the various buildings and highway ramps in the area) may be different than it was at Haymarket. I haven't taken a close look in that area since many things have been demolished and reopened after the convention so I can't really recall exactly what the distance is like.