• Green Line Elevated demolition

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Noah_Plack

This morning, I still didn't see any evidence of steel removal, but they are now removing concrete from the curve at Lowell and Causeway Streets.
I'm trying to place Lowell Street. Is this another name for Lomasney Way?

by octr202

I believe so. I know we've tried to settle that debate at least once on here...

by Ron Newman

Lomasney Way seems to be the new name for Lowell Street, but I prefer the old name.

I rode my bike this evening to the top of the former I-93 southbound ramp and looked down at the Green Line el. All of the tracks and ties have been removed from the North Station elevated station westward.
Ties, but not tracks, remain on the incline.

by Ron Newman

I went by the site at 1:00 this afternoon, and again at 7:00 tonight, and didn't see any work going on. Some steel has been removed near the intersection of Martha Road and Amy Court -- that's it.

by MBTA1

I know this is off topic but I didnt think it was worth making another topic... I understand that it is hard to find pictures of the Washington Street Elevated but it is impossible to find pictures of the demolition. If anyone can provide a link to the demolition photo's I would appreciate it. Thank You!

by marlowe

MBTA1 wrote:I know this is off topic but I didnt think it was worth making another topic... I understand that it is hard to find pictures of the Washington Street Elevated but it is impossible to find pictures of the demolition. If anyone can provide a link to the demolition photo's I would appreciate it. Thank You!
I took about 50 or so pics when it was being demolished. I could scan them and post if that would help.

by MBTA1

Yes if you could I would appriciate it Marlowe.

by Ron Newman

I walked around the El last night around 11 pm, didn't see any work going on or any sign of progress since Sunday.

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:I walked around the El last night around 11 pm, didn't see any work going on or any sign of progress since Sunday.
Could it be because of construction around the demolished section, the holiday weekend, and the Red Line shuttle that caused no progress since Sunday? Could the demolition contractor have been working on a seperate section or doing prep work that you may not have noticed? Sounds weird for nothing to happen for a few days(minus Sunday and Monday obviously).

by Ron Newman

From today's Transit Updates page:

Special Notice for Lechmere - Government Center Shuttle Customers:

# Due to construction, the outbound shuttle will be rerouted between the hours of 9:30 AM and 3:30 PM on Thursday, September 9 and Friday, September 10.

# Inbound service is not impacted.

# During this time, the outbound stop on Nashua Street near the Suffolk County House of Corrections will be closed. Please use the stop on Land Boulevard at O'Brien Highway or the stop on Merrimack street at Causeway Street.

# Also, the outbound stop opposite the Museum of Science will be moved to Land Boulevard at O'Brien Highway.

We apologize for any convenience this may cause.

by trainhq

Well, they were sure at it today, and will be tomorrow. They plan to
work this Saturday and Sunday too. Hope the residents near the bend on
Lomasney plan to be gone this weekend!

by trigonalmayhem

We apologize for any convenience this may cause.
ha-ha!

by Ron Newman

This morning around 10:15 they were busy removing concrete from the curve at the corner of Lowell and Causeway Streets. Concrete was crashing to the ground all around. Still lots of dust in the air despite the fire hose.

Workers told me they can work only during the day because the residents don't want noise at night. One told me that everything will be gone by the end of September, but that sounds like a pretty aggressive schedule to me.

Lots of Green Line rubble is sitting in what was the DNC bus parking lot, on the south side of Causeway Street, but I'm not sure how it got there. No demolition is happening in that area yet.

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:Workers told me they can work only during the day because the residents don't want noise at night. One told me that everything will be gone by the end of September, but that sounds like a pretty aggressive schedule to me.
I think they want the work to get done before the start of the Celtics' and Bruins' seasons and before the circus comes to town in early October. I would expect that the sooner they get done the least amount of impact they have on the spectator traffic into the Bank of America Center(yeah, I'm going to start refering to it as that :wink: ).
Seriously, would you want a few thousand spectators entering and exiting the venue with construction going on around them? I don't think that is what the contractor wants, in fact it's probably what they fear the most. I am guessing they hope to avoid the mixing as much as possible and will try to speed up the demolition as much as the community will allow.

by Ron Newman

One thing that's hard for me to see is how much the Green Line demolition and Big Dig construction interact. They are going on side by side east of Leverett Circle. It looks like the Green Line demolition along Martha Road has to be finished before they can connect a new highway ramp to Leverett Circle.