• First "Pan Am" engine heading west 11/7

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by JacobBruce

Do you have any pics?

by DutchRailnut

Voila the Guilford Gp40 railsmurf unit:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20061 ... 814221.jpg

by kilroy

I like the smurf look better than the Guilford grey.
  by henry6

HOHUMM! Another blue unit with white letters....sure does the PANAM name proud...hope it makes them glad they sold the name to Guilford!

by superwarp1

Not B&M but better than before

by red baron

What a sad tribute to what was once America's premier airline. It looks nice, but looks more appropriate on a Clipper, such as a 747 or 727.
Juan Trippe is rolling in his grave........

by Otto Vondrak

I think Kilroy just named the new PanAm units SMURFS!

by paulrail

OK!...."smurfs" it is!

It's not bad but the nose really needs a logo or something! I was hoping they would come out with a little "classier" scheme.

When I did a model of "what if"...I basically followed the curret big G style.
Gray bottom B&M blue top, instead of gray and a white stripe, where the orange is. I replaced the big "G" with the white Pan Am logo. For my taste, it's a lot "dressier" and sharper looking.

Take a look:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y=PAULRAIL

Paul
  by henry6

It is just another reasons that locomotives are designated by "series" rather than by "class" today.

by eriemike

When are they going to attach the wings? :P

by octr202

eriemike wrote:When are they going to attach the wings? :P
I'm waiting for someone to photoshop a GP40 with the jet-pod that the NYC tried to attach to an RDC car on its roof.

by eriemike

I know this off topic, but that jet pod on the New York Central came from a B-52.

Guilford, oh, I mean Pan Am should consider using surplus B-52 jet engines. The only problem is that I don't think you can keep those things throttled at 10 mph for long :P

The paint scheme, though better than the black/gray and orange, it looks as if it were just slapped together. Simply no imagination. I liked paulrail's rendition.

by kilroy

I think Kilroy just named the new PanAm units SMURFS!
I'd love to take creidt but it wasn't me Otto, it was Dutch that named them smurfs.

by Otto Vondrak

Credit for "SMURFS" transferred from Kilroy to DutchRailnut. Thank you for using RAILROAD.NET.

-otto-