Railroad Forums 

• First "Pan Am" engine heading west 11/7

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#318925  by Pj

What's with the two different designs on the same unit? Test or...?

#319018  by MEC407

Pj wrote:What's with the two different designs on the same unit? Test or...?
The boxcars are the same way. They have the big "PAN AM" on one side and the small "Pan Am Railways" on the other side. Why? Beats me.

But it does look kinda cool when you've got two boxcars back to back and you see both sides at once. Seeing two (or more) locos back to back should be pretty cool as well.

#319490  by oibu

Horrid.

And why did they bother to paint a locomotive? I can kinda see the boxcars for advertising purposes, but why the heck paint a locomotive for the airline? Is this supposed to the new "executive " unit or something?

#319529  by Pj

Its not for the airline. The railroad IS Pan Am as well.
 #319565  by henry6

oibu wrote:Horrid.

And why did they bother to paint a locomotive? I can kinda see the boxcars for advertising purposes, but why the heck paint a locomotive for the airline? Is this supposed to the new "executive " unit or something?
PAN AM is a name owned by Guilford who purchased the dormant name and logo rights in marketing move believeing the PAN AM name has a strong recognition world wide. Its recognition toward the airline is probably the downside to its use; Gulford hopes it will conjure up an image of international trade service.

#319577  by MEC407

And lest anybody forget, there is a Pan Am forum here on Railroad.net where discussions about this locomotive, the new paint scheme, and much more, can be had. :wink:

#319963  by oibu

Yeah, I know "Pan Am" is the new parent company. Just scratching my head about the point of the repaint. They can't seriously be considering changing the locomotive fleet paint scheme to THAT. At best it looks like an amateurish effort the likes of which you might see on a Railtex/Railamerica type shortline, kind of like a decent basic concept gone horribly wrong (or is it a lousy basic concept made even worse by trying too hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?).

Looks OK and seems to serve a purpose on the boxcars. As for the loco scheme... let me be the first to nominate it as the worst paint scheme ever (no I'm NOT kidding, and YES that does inlcude PC black, NYC jade green, and NS primer grey). Well, OK, the VIA F40s covered in advertising for phone companies and stuff might be worse. Maybe.

#319968  by Pj

Welcome to Guilford...errr Pan Am.

#320151  by b&m617

Seems like putting lipstick on a pig..... :wink:

work safe

Derail :P

#320783  by thebigham

oibu wrote:Yeah, I know "Pan Am" is the new parent company. Just scratching my head about the point of the repaint. They can't seriously be considering changing the locomotive fleet paint scheme to THAT. At best it looks like an amateurish effort the likes of which you might see on a Railtex/Railamerica type shortline, kind of like a decent basic concept gone horribly wrong (or is it a lousy basic concept made even worse by trying too hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?).

Looks OK and seems to serve a purpose on the boxcars. As for the loco scheme... let me be the first to nominate it as the worst paint scheme ever (no I'm NOT kidding, and YES that does inlcude PC black, NYC jade green, and NS primer grey). Well, OK, the VIA F40s covered in advertising for phone companies and stuff might be worse. Maybe.
I like it.

It's better than that depressing gray and orange they use now.

I'm sure only a few locos will get painted.

#322168  by red baron

Pj wrote:What's with the two different designs on the same unit? Test or...?
Just a guess here, but each side seems to represents a distinct Pan American World Airways scheme. The large "Pan Am" was their "billboard" scheme, the last shceme used by the carrier before folding. The other side seems to represent the older "classic" scheme.
As messed up as Guilford is, somebody there is obviously intrigued with the Pan Am legacy. Must be fun to have enough money to be able to purchase the rights to that name and start up a regional carrier (air) that was doomed from the start just because you're fascinated with it! It is bizarre, at the very least to the commercial aviation enthusiasts, to see this occurring. Lot of confused people on their respective forums too!

#323421  by NellsChoo

Finally got to see #505 Sunday at Ayer. Looks much better in person. Not sure how the scheme will weather in time... I always liked the Guilford scheme (I know, I am a rarity), but I may grow to like the new one if I just pretend it's B&M blue!

It would be nice to see something on the noses, though. The older Geeps could do it since they have less "stuff" on their noses...

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... =NellsChoo