• Rochelle, Illinois

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by EJ&ESDM809

They are going to remove the diamonds? I don't think the railroads would go that far. I don't believe the part about swapping lines. If that happened, UP would have no way of getting to Proviso and BNSF would have no way to get to Clyde. That would mean UP owning the racetrack and BNSF owning the ex-CNW. They aren't going to go through all those problems just so the park can expand. Rochelle is well known for its diamonds and removing them would keep some visitors away. I think they should just build a tunnel under the tracks or a bridge over the tracks (I like that idea for photos!) and they wouldn't have to do that.

by doepack

Whether or not the proposed line swap actually happens is debatable, but even if it did, it shouldn't be that big of a deal since UP has trackage rights on the racetrack between Aurora and Chicago anyway. But the initial plans for the expansion are intriguing though, kind of sounds like a railfan park/museum combination is the intended goal. it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out...

by EJ&ESDM809

I did hear on trains.com that the city did buy the additional propery and they are planning on putting in a new gift shop, more parking, and possible a museum. It didn't mention anything about UP and BNSF swapping lines or the diamonds being remove. Since this info did come from a member of the Rochelle Tourism board, I think that is the real story.

by chicagorails

diamonds are forever!!!
been there 10 days in last 40 days. great place. thur-sun busiest times
cnw hist. soc. had convention there may 17-20
rochelle had 1st rr days then also.
i go to the circle at 1 mile west on rt 38 next to global 3 the worlds largest intermodial yard at 1300 acres for pix in afternoo. of up.
dekalb 10 miles east has a coal tower on main, good pix, a nice park next to tracks too. nelson 30 miles west has coal tower on main and great resturant . can park on north sside of tracks for trains.look out for hobos!