Railroad Forums 

• Rochelle, Illinois

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#78923  by railohio

I went to Rochelle this weekend and was pretty dissapointed. I don't get it, what's the big draw with this place? Any of you guys actually go there?

#78983  by AmtrakFan

I use to but I didn't like the Photo Angles. So I just stay home or go eslewhere.

John

#79034  by railohio

AmtrakFan,

I see you live in Downers Grove. You weren't one of the kids watching trains up at the station on Friday evening, were you?

#79133  by AmtrakFan

railohio wrote:AmtrakFan,

I see you live in Downers Grove. You weren't one of the kids watching trains up at the station on Friday evening, were you?
No I wasn't but I was on Saturday.

John

#79665  by railohio

AmtrakFan wrote:No I wasn't but I was on Saturday.
Gotcha. I saw some kids up there that looked like railfans on Friday. Thought one might be you. I was long gone out to Nelson and Sterling for Saturday.
 #84512  by Owen McGee

I have been to Rochelle several times. My last visit was probably the most memorable. I drove down from Rockford with Sunrise, the current Queen of the Hobos on a Tuesday nite. We stopped along the way and bought a couple bundles of overpriced firewood at a C-store. When we got there, the platform was deserted, and we carried our wood down to the "hobo jungle", laid in a little fire, and spent the night swapping lies and watching trains. It was a beautiful Autumn night, the fire was just right, and the trains were rollin'. Lots of trains, and almost every Engineer waved and tooted the airhorns an extra time as he rolled past. We were down there 'till after midnite.

If you're planning a trip, plan to be there AT NIGHT!!! That's when all the action is. Conversly, don't plan to sleep there at night. There's a grade crossing just to the East, and ALL eastbound trains are on the airhorns....mebbe 50 feet away.... as they roll across the diamonds and pass the platform. Granda Dudley (Hobo King 2002-2003) and I tried to spend a nite there once, and sleep was not an option. The hobo we were waiting for didn't show up on the second day, so that nite we went south of town a few miles, found a dead end dirt road, and rolled out on opposite sides of my truck on the ground. Slept like babies. Our third day there our friend showed up, we saw him a few minutes, and then it was back to Ohio (Michigan for Grandpa Dudley).

Railohio, I only live a few miles away from you. If you ever want to try again, let me know. I'm ALWAYS up for a trip to Rochelle.

OMcG

#84524  by MikeF

Rochelle is a good spot for watching trains. If photography is your main purpose, it's a bit of a letdown.

#203116  by ic9623

I finnaly got to go to Rachelle about a year ago. The place was packed! That I did not like. The photo angles are not the best as stated either. But man there was plenty of action! I did not know you could start a fire in the pit??? That sounds like somthing to do!

#204256  by dhaugh

I've been down there two or three times, and what I like is the hobby shop with it's user friendly hours. Also watched a UP freight stop, blocking the diamond, as the crew went up to the shop to get some lunch. I like the sound of the place at night - have not had the opportunity to spend an evening there. Sounds like my HS days - sitting around a fire, trackside, sipping suds...

#212635  by mainetrain

I enjoy the webcam

#231391  by dhaugh

Back to Rochelle, IL... what are the park hours there? I believe they have a firepit and I'd like to use it when I'm there next month. Also, what are the hours of the hobby shop? thanks to all.. Dave

#231416  by doepack

dhaugh wrote:Back to Rochelle, IL... what are the park hours there? I believe they have a firepit and I'd like to use it when I'm there next month. Also, what are the hours of the hobby shop? thanks to all.. Dave
The park does indeed have a firepit, and it is open 24/7/365, rain/snow/sleet/shine. Not sure about the hobby shop hours...

#233185  by dhaugh

Well, nevermind about the hobby shop - Trains magazine's website today said the shop got shut down by the property owners. Bummer... I was hoping to pick some back issues of Trains. Dave

#236356  by kitsune

Here's the latest news:
Rochelle Railfan Park Expands

April 15, 2006

ROCHELLE, ILLINOIS |  The Rochelle Railroad Park is about to undergo a massive expansion, thanks to the cooperation of BNSF Railway and Union Pacific. Recent questions over the park's future has led the Rochelle Tourism & Visitor's Association to reveal its master plan ahead of schedule.

"The Rochelle Tourism & Visitor's Association has acquired the former Del Monte facility adjacent to the diamond for future use," said Ross Freier, association director. "Integration into the current park will require major reconstruction but with the assistance pledged by both BNSF and Union Pacific and local businessowners we are confident everything will be in place by summer 2007."

The park will include an expanded gift shop, located in the former Del Monte cannery, along with an exact replica of Rochelle in HO scale. There will also be more parking to the north of the new gift shop, and a full-size interpretive exhibit featuring Rochelle's own Whitcomb locomotives and their pronounced effect on American railroading.
The rest is here:
Rochelle Railroad Park Expands

#236426  by doepack

That's good to hear. And after all the improvements come online, I hope this will also mean improved photography angles...