Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.

by David

Bob---Great shots of my favorite electric engine!!!

by pennsy

Hi Chuch,

Interesting shots. I think it would be safe to say that the GG-1 is one of the most photogenic engines ever. By the way, if you are in the area again, try those shots with a wide angle lens. It should allow you to get rid of those roof supports. A tripod and time exposure might also add to the results.

by HSSRAIL

I can think of a lot of impractical things that are done. Like building all this luxury housing and shipping all decent paying jobs overseas so nobody will be able to afford to buy them.

Never is a long time. A G might run someday its only money.
Last edited by HSSRAIL on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

by JimBoylan

HSSRAIL wrote:the PRR's original 11,000 volts was changed and I don't think any railroad anywhere is still using it.
It haqs not yet been changed on the Pennsy and the Reading, it has been changed on the New Haven, Lackawanna (formerly 3,000 volts D.C.), and possibly New York & Long Branch. N&W, VGN, and GN have discontinued it.

by glennk419

JimBoylan wrote:
HSSRAIL wrote:the PRR's original 11,000 volts was changed and I don't think any railroad anywhere is still using it.
It haqs not yet been changed on the Pennsy and the Reading, it has been changed on the New Haven, Lackawanna (formerly 3,000 volts D.C.), and possibly New York & Long Branch. N&W, VGN, and GN have discontinued it.
Jim, you are correct as usual. Amtrak is still running 11 Kv 25 Hz power along the NEC from NYC to Washington. Septa is also still running the same power on the ex-RDG side of the railroad in Philadelphia.