Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #128467  by BoilerBob

I don't like to look at the pictures of 4800 in any of it's gaudy paint jobs over the Conrail years. I only like to see it in Brunswick Green or Tuscan Red. I'm afraid my eyeballs would fall out if I did.

#130235  by msernak

The old Pennsy colors are the best however I will take an Amtrak Platinum mist or PC black over nothing.

#155308  by Centurylover68

GG1 #4933 is in fairly good condition. It would be a good choice to attempt to restore. I have run my hand along her flank where she sits on a spur out in the open. For being exposed to the elements she looks pretty good. I'd love to see her run. To raise money you could always pull a Clinchfield. Get her good enough to shove with some disguised diesels moving her. Then all you'd have to do would be get her able to run.
 #155831  by BoilerBob

Nope. Not even Conrail blue. Only DGLE or Tuscan Red. Maybe Platinum Mist. All colors are not PRR and simpli won't do.

Bob

#210406  by M&Eman

If they could replace the steam generator with HEP and a higher power prime mover or traction motrs wre put in to enable 125mph speed, a fleet rebuilt GG-1 would be a great compliment to the Heritage fleet for the NY based LDs.

GG-1HAC anyone? :wink:

#214038  by Tadman

We should have started a petition to style the HHP8 like a GG1. The HHP looks like a turd right now. It's too late to do much of anything right now other than a slow process of restoring a good one, like 4935. But that's going to be 10 years and >$1m.

#214066  by scopelliti

Here's a picture of 4933 taken in August 2004

#214185  by chuchubob

BoilerBob wrote:I don't like to look at the pictures of 4800 in any of it's gaudy paint jobs over the Conrail years. I only like to see it in Brunswick Green or Tuscan Red. I'm afraid my eyeballs would fall out if I did.
Attention BoilerBob: don't click on this link!
http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/o ... 5_4800.jpg

Gaudy4800Bob

#214250  by JimBoylan

PRRGuy wrote:GAH, my eyes!
[about ConRail'sd Bicentenial GG-1] It must have been done very quickly, CR was less than 2 weeks old when that paint was pulling RDG MU cars to Trenton during a transit strike!
 #217468  by BoilerBob

I'm BLIND..................LOL

Really though, I like the GG1 no matter what color.

#222011  by MACTRAXX

Guys: Great group of GG1 posts as well as pics! I remember the Gs well-My dad was a veteran Pennsy man and I got my first cab ride ever on one as well as I became a fan of them-they are one of my favorite engines of all time-and how well they were constructed by PRR. With apologies to Charlie Daniels, they were the best that's ever been! MACTRAXX

#223625  by pennsy

Hi All,

The name of the game would be to obtain copies of the original, updated, engineering drawings for a GG-1, and then update them to 2006 standards. This would make it a GG-2, of sorts. All the latest modernization features could be added to the engine, inside and outside.