• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

I just looked at old satellite views from 1970 and 1979. Looks like the road was always very close to the tracks without a barrier.

Strangely, the railroad crossing looks paved over in the 1979 photos…
  by Bracdude181

Yeah I see what Tanker was talking about. That white sign? That’s pretty close. Yellow Stavola sign is also kinda close.

I don’t think those AT&T markings were there last week, but then again I’ve only started checking the area recently.
  by pdtrains

Thx for the pic of the road and the ROW. IDK what everyone is getting so excited about. There's plenty of room to move the tracks a little to one side, or move the road a bit to the other. Whats the big deal?

On another note....I did a little reading on highway crossing protection. Best i can figure out is that the minimums for crossing protection is up to the states, and they type of warning used is dependent upon the amount of HIGHWAY traffic, not the train traffic. IDK, but i think all the public paved roads in this part of NJ are pretty busy....at least compared t farm crossings...
  by Bracdude181

Depends on the exact road your talking about, but yes the crossing design is largely determined by vehicle traffic.

By that logic, I think we will see electric protection put up at least at the busier roads.
  by R&DB

The white sign on the Stavola drieway is on RR property. The Stavola sign at the entrance saying "HOWELL PLANT" is NOT on Stavola property.
  by CharlieL

Well, they've crossed Yellowbrook and are working past Stavola, about into the curve. Looks like they might reach Adelphia by quitting time. Great progress, not real thick through there.
  by Bracdude181

Once last Adelphia it should be smooth sailing. Hardly anything between there and Railroad Ave.

Yellowbrook to Adelphia may or may not be one of the swamp areas I mentioned. Have to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  by Bracdude181

Forest, thanks for sharing that picture. Been a very long time since a CSX GP38 came down here.
  by jdh823

CR7876 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:58 am We're really devoting all this time an energy to a sign.
I guess there really just is nothing to talk about now. Did you expect anything else? 😂