Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1615005  by baju

What will be the next phase of the rehab. Will most of the old rails and ties be removed first? Then trucking in the rock ballast? Then finally laying the steel ties and rail? Or will all of this happen simultaneously starting from freehold working east or farmingdale working west. I’m curious how the new rail will be brought in maybe by rail train?
 #1615010  by CharlieL

Supposedly going to remove old rail for reuse and salvage, remove ties and scrape. then new ties rail and ballast. If they bring in by train which makes sense especially for the ballast, they will need to put in crossings as they go, or first.
 #1615012  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:14 pm Well, they did not make Adelphia Rd today, but are close.
A company called Watson Services is setting up at the Adelphia Rd crossing. Apparently from duckduckgo they are a general contractor. Don't know if it is sewer or railroad related but suspect railroad because sewer work was being done by a different contractor. If so they may be working at night.
Yeah, I passed by there at around 4pm today. There were one or two lights setup. I might drive by again now that it's dark to see if anything else is going on
 #1615013  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:20 pm Supposedly going to remove old rail for reuse and salvage, remove ties and scrape. then new ties rail and ballast. If they bring in by train which makes sense especially for the ballast, they will need to put in crossings as they go, or first.
That old rail, I am not sure if they will be able to salvage them for mainline use. From what I saw by the crossings and the images here, it is extremely busted. I'm also not sure if disused rail for 30-40 years that was essentially buried will even be safe to use for such. As a siding/team track or a siding for a new customer, it could absolutely be used for that, but that's just speculation on my part.
 #1615017  by Ken W2KB

pdtrains wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:38 am Thx for the pic of the road and the ROW. IDK what everyone is getting so excited about. There's plenty of room to move the tracks a little to one side, or move the road a bit to the other. Whats the big deal?
The owner of the railroad right of way or the D&R Railraod should not be required to move the track on its own right of way. Does Stavola have an easement for the driveway if on railroad property or if not, does it have sufficient land to relocate the access road? - if neither, Stavola will have to acquire the necessary land from the owner paying whatever amount the seller demands. Same with respect to the Stavola sign.
 #1615018  by Bracdude181

Ken, I’ve gone back and looked at satellite pictures from when the line was still in use and it appears the road has always been that close to the tracks. Unsure of any easement.

I’m too not worried about the signs. They can be moved if needed or replaced by new ones in a different spot.
 #1615034  by Bracdude181

LMFAO. We might actually have to since they did stall in Lakewood once with 752 and 15 cars.

No rescue engine to help if it happens again. Wonder what happens to Lakewood if the train breaks down blocking several major roads, and all of the drivers fail to find the detours?

Imagine THAT spectacle!
 #1615035  by pdtrains

14 loads is about 1800 tons. A single geep should be able to handle that on level ground no sweat. Maybe there was no sand on the engine, or the sanders are inop. That would make a LOT of difference.