• NS Coal Train Derails on NEC at Perryman MD

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Olesen, from the updated alert you posted, it would appear they expect to have it clear this afternoon - likely of course with a speed restriction through the scene.
  by Train60

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:47 am Mr. Olesen, from the updated alert you posted, it would appear they expect to have it clear this afternoon - likely of course with a speed restriction through the scene.
I wouldn't count on that, based on what I see in the video on this link

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/amtrak-s ... n/39332740
  by Gilbert B Norman

After viewing that video, Mr. Montrealer (or is it "Pittsburgher"), I must agree such looks more severe than the earlier reports implied.

"Just great" how it occurred in a "two track segment of the Corridor.

I'm sure "Hulcher Vultures" are now on the scene.
  by STrRedWolf

From the reports and video… I think they got one track repaired and are running limited service through it.

No word from MARC because weekend service only goes up to Martins State Airport. If this goes on past the weekend, though, we’ll see a statement.
  by Train60

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:19 pm From the reports and video… I think they got one track repaired and are running limited service through it.
This map [http://dixielandsoftware.net/cgi-bin/ge ... apname=NEC] would suggest that no Amtrak trains have passed the wreck site, as of 4:30 PM ET Saturday.
Last edited by Train60 on Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by scratchyX1

Train60 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:30 pm
STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:19 pm From the reports and video… I think they got one track repaired and are running limited service through it.
This map [http://dixielandsoftware.net/cgi-bin/ge ... apname=NEC]would suggest that no Amtrak trains have passed the wreck site, as of 4:30 PM ET Saturday.
Where was the train headed to, and coming from?
  by lordsigma12345

Will still be lots of suspended service tomorrow. Looks like they are targeting Monday to restore PHL-WAS service.
  by NY&LB

As of 6:30 AM Sunday, the alert has not changed but if you look for trains today NYP-WAS or WAS-NYP everything shows cancelled except one Regional in each direction, #96 and #99, which show SOLD OUT but 0% full.
I suspect that is an error.
Monday shows a full schedule.

and if you look at TRAIN STATUS....
it shows 9 WAS-NYP trains ON TIME and 2 LATE, all but #96 show CANCELLED on the booking page.
NYP-WAS shows 1 train ON TIME and 3 LATE, all but #99 show CANCELLED on the booking page.
Whoever programmed and runs their web site needs remedial training,
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Long Branch, I'm sure that the apparent many around here within the IT profession will say "Hip Hip, Hurray" to your immediate.

Possibly some of our barristers around here can contribute more than I can on this point, but the question of "who pays for what" nags?

Now if Topper's train was DETOURING over the Corridor, the General Manager's Association (GMA) rules that "he's on tap for everything - including consequential damages" would apply. However, such an occurrence is probably covered within the scope of a bilateral agreement that has been in place since C-Day, or April 1, 1976. A like incident occurred during Sep '76 when a Conrail spilled in the middle of the Baltimore tunnel.

But be it assured; the Amtrak "beagles" are already toting up two days lost revenue from "our jewel", the earnings, of T, E, and OBS that they are paid under guarantees within their Agreements, and on and on......

"See you on Foley Square, Topper."
  by John_Perkowski

Trains article:

Link: Amtrak disruptions continue from coal-train derailment

Brief fair use quote:
As was the case Saturday, the passenger railroad is offering limited Acela service between New York and Washington, D.C., and limited Northeast Regional service between New York, Washington, and points south.

According to a notification on the Amtrak website, these other changes are planned:
The Amtrak announcement in full.

Modified Service Between New York and Washington, D.C., Due to Freight Derailment
Saturday, March 5, 2022 4:00 PM ET

Due to Norfolk Southern freight derailment in Perryman, Md., all service operating between Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia is temporarily suspended Saturday, March 5, and Sunday, March 6. Amtrak will operate a modified schedule between New York and Philadelphia. Crews are working to repair the track and we will restore service as quickly as possible.

Amtrak has made the following service adjustments for Saturday, March 5:

Limited Acela Service between New York and Philadelphia.
Limited Northeast Regional Service between Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., and points south.
Palmetto trains 89 (operating between Savannah, Ga., and New York) is cancelled
Palmetto trains 90 (operating between New York and Savannah, Ga.) is cancelled
Carolinian trains 79 & 80 (operating between Charlotte and New York) will operate between Charlotte and Raleigh
Crescent Train 20 (operating between New Orleans and New York) will operate normal schedule
Silver Star Train 91 (operating between New York and Miami) will operate Jacksonville, Fla., to Miami
Silver Star Train 92 (operating between Miami and New York) will operate Miami to Jacksonville, Fla.
Crescent Train 20 (Operating between New Orleans to New York) will operate New Orleans to Washington, D.C.
Cardinal Train 50 (Operating between Chicago to New York) will operate Chicago to Indianapolis
Amtrak has made the following service adjustments for Sunday, March 6:

Limited Acela Service between New York and Washington, D.C.
Limited Northeast Regional Service between New York and Washington, D.C., and points south.
Palmetto trains 89 & 90 (operating between New York and Savannah, Ga.) is cancelled
Carolinian trains 79 (operating between New York to Charlotte will operate between Raleigh and Charlotte
Carolinian trains 80 (operating between Charlotte and New York) will operate between Charlotte and Raleigh
Crescent Train 20 (operating between New Orleans and New York) will operate normal schedule
Silver Star Train 91 (operating between New York and Miami) will operate Washington, D.C., to Miami
Silver Star Train 92 (operating between Miami and New York) will operate Miami to Jacksonville, Fla.
Crescent Train 19 (Operating between New York to New Orleans) will operate Washington, D.C. to New Orleans
Cardinal Train 51 (Operating between New York to Chicago) will operate Indianapolis to Chicago

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 1-800-USA-RAIL.

The most up-to-date train status is available on Amtrak.com and in the free mobile app.

Follow us on Twitter for real-time service information:

@AmtrakNECAlerts for service information in the Northeast Corridor (Acela, Northeast Regional and other corridor services).
@AmtrakAlerts for service information outside the Northeast Corridor.
Subscribe at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts to receive automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations.

This information is correct as of the time and date above. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
  by STrRedWolf

I grabbed the latest this morning, and they had fully suspended WAS-PHL Amtrak service. MARC & SEPTA service was still up.

Them getting service back up by this afternoon? Possible if they worked through the night, but that’s more damage than what I had to deal with back in 2019.

Funny, though. I’m at another furry convention, this time in DC. And I drove this time (it was “a 45 minute drive” away). But just in case, it’s my “home-town” convention, and I tweet-forwarded Amtrak’s alert with some guidance. The staff retweeted it.