• New Customer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by tushykushy

As the jobs increase, the available running engines decrease.

Oye!

by rb

Wow, I didn't realize Manhattan Beer was operating at both locations. I thought they had moved. Better keep them happy!

Remind me where all the C&D loads end up? Do they backfill mines in the Midwest with all that tonnage?

Rob

by Long Island 7285

the question is, what will NYA do when all there usefull power kicks the bucket? thats the million dollor NYA question.

its great to get more business I would like to see some places in valley and wm serviced. but whats going to happen when this service is not possible when there is no engines.

by CR6618

They would like to obtain 3000HP lease units to utilize as "B" units on the mainline runs. Probably Geeps instead of SD's, but you never know.

Keep the precious cab-signaled units in repair as long as possible to lead the trains, but have a decent motor or two in the consist to do the heavy work.

by DogBert

Let's not forget yard space. Fresh pond is already at capacity. Where are cars for new customers gunna go?

Boy howdy I hope those new customers come online quick. The faster it happens the sooner the big mystery of where will the power and track space come from can be resolved.

by Legio X

Did the LIRR snip the spurs of the former NYA customers on the West Hempstead Branch, or are they still intact? If a new customer opened up shop and wanted to be served by NYA on this branch, would the NYA crews have to requalify on the branch, and would NYA have ask the LIRR's permission to serve W.H. Branch customers again?

by Sir Ray

Legio X wrote:Did the LIRR snip the spurs of the former NYA customers on the West Hempstead Branch, or are they still intact? If a new customer opened up shop and wanted to be served by NYA on this branch, would the NYA crews have to requalify on the branch, and would NYA have ask the LIRR's permission to serve W.H. Branch customers again?
Actually, I'd like to know why the customer that moved into Basley's doesn't use rail service (They too are a building products distributor)

by Jayjay1213

The guy in Baisley on the WH, his product is mostly from a near area, I think NJ or PA, so its not worth trying to move by Rail. Quicker and cheaper to move by truck.

Jason

by Mr GP10

3000HP B units? now where can you guys get that kind of power? If you want B units would they be GE? or EMD? Also the BNSF has some GP-60 BUnits I think those are 3800 HP. Please keep us updated as far as this B unit status goes.

by emfinite

I saw the switch last night when passing by on the Central branch. I would say it's no more then 1,000 feet east of the Sunrise Hwy overpass and it is a trailing point switch when heading east. There has been no track laid except for the full installation of the switch. A long path has been cleared out on the south side of the main to accomodate the new siding. Looks real good.

Joe

by CR6618

Mr GP10 wrote:3000HP B units? now where can you guys get that kind of power? If you want B units would they be GE? or EMD? Also the BNSF has some GP-60 BUnits I think those are 3800 HP. Please keep us updated as far as this B unit status goes.
You took me too literally. I wanted to say trailing unit. It would always be sandwiched between two cab-signalled units.

There is no shortage of 3000hp "cab unit" diesels.

I hope this makes sense now.

by Sir Ray

CR6618 wrote:
Mr GP10 wrote:3000HP B units? now where can you guys get that kind of power? If you want B units would they be GE? or EMD? Also the BNSF has some GP-60 BUnits I think those are 3800 HP. Please keep us updated as far as this B unit status goes.
You took me too literally. I wanted to say trailing unit. It would always be sandwiched between two cab-signalled units.
Too bad, we wanted to see F7B units re-motored to 3000hp on the NYA(are there still any of those in North American service - I remember Railpace a few years back discussing a F B unit used by some mining company as a switcher (they used a hostler window, I think)).

by lirrmike

Talk about bringing back an old topic! Anyway, I was driving through Maspeth over the weekend and I saw someone had cleaned up the rail line that crossed Review Ave. near, I believe it's Canada Dry. The line went up toward the Expressway and served a few customers through there. Or is this the just City cleaning up? Thanks.

Mike