• NYS Railways - Utica question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by westshore94706

Last item, the date of the Sanborn is circa 1925
  by Cactus Jack

Yes, I have a draft outline and about 3 chapters in rough draft.
The rest is a bit fluid but I have about 1000 pages of notes and about 4000 pictures.

I once thought that I could sit down and lock myself in a room and finish it off in 2 weeks. It will take much more than that as I now realize !

So, no timetable for it at this point, when it is done it is done. If indeed I had finished it 10 years ago it would be very lacking due to the tremendous detail and photos I have since uncovered. It is fascinating peeling back the layers of the onion, so to speak.

Thanks for the date on the Sanborn. I am concluding the Blue Line was extended sometime after 1907 and more likely after 1918 and the canal project to its' eventual terminus. I think somewhere I have the end of the line circa 1900 about where the 1907 map locates it. It seems to have been extended in phases from a short stub end coal transfer in the early days of the UC&SV to its' final form as it went from EL into Conrail and later NYSW.

Another interesting "lost" portion was the DL&W trackage on the east side of the canal at Canal Branch. That was quite a cluster at one time and the last remnant was where the track crossed the new arterial near the old Tri-States laundry. This rail was removed sometime in the early 1980's but was apparently not used after EL days. I think, if I understand a trolley line crossed over at Pleasant Street bridge.

Anyway, I am trying to get a better understanding now of the relationship and interface between the trolley system and the railroad, such as is the trolley responsible for the rather nice ornate West Utica Station built by DL&W ? (Trolley to rail interface). And how significant was the trolley down Genesee Street to the New Hartford depot ? Did the trolley system carry express that was transferred ?
  by westshore94706

Cactus

As an architect and designer, I am fascinated by Utica's industrial history and, in particular, the relationship of rails (railroad and trolley) and city form. So am very eager to see your book if/when its published.

My grandfather grew up on Potter Street (he was born 1907) and imagine that he knew the O+W + DLW pretty well. Grandmother lived in Paris NY not far from Lincoln Davies and took the train frequently (daily) to either Waterville, Sauquoit or Utica . Unfortunately both have passed and that source of history is gone.

As far as your question regards DLW and Trolley interface, don't have much to offer. Can't answer the question about the station. I do know that the trolley's carried express but don't know if there was a formal interface established. Have you done much research of state records ? I've been reviewing some of the documents of New York State Senate and they cover a wide variety of issues:

https://books.google.com/books?id=b54lA ... ca&f=false
  by Cactus Jack

I just bought the book "Here Comes the Trolley" by Robert G. Gurley 1964 - Traction Press 8th Printing 1969

Lots of photos of the Utica trolley system.

Questions:

Since the book is all B&W, can anyone tell me what color the trolley cars were painted in the 1920's and '30's ? Referring to the cars with the "bow-tie" type logo on the front.

I have mapping that suggests there was a trolley car barn near Burrstone Road and Present Route 12 arterial. Anyone have a photo source or information ?