Railroad Forums 

• NYS Railways - Utica question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1368236  by Cactus Jack

Anyone have a map of trolley lines in the City of Utica ? And immediate surrounding area ?

Especially interested in whether there were trolley lines down both Whitesboro and Columbia Streets in West Utica.
 #1368294  by westshore94706

I Have a map from Gurley's book "Here Comes the Trolley" which shows double track Whitesboro street splitting into Columbia and Lafayette St Lines. Will post photo of the map when I can.
 #1368380  by Cactus Jack

Thanks for the map.

What I am trying to figure out is a reference in a 1933 DL&W Employee Timetable related to low overhead clearances.
It notes overhead trolley wires at Columbia and Whitesboro Streets. This would be where the railroad runs down Schuyler Street, crossing Columbia and Whitesboro.

Can anyone explain the trolley track specifics at these two streets ? I am not sure from the map posted I understand that or see why both locations on the DL&W would be mentioned. Maybe too I am not interpreting the map correctly.

There is also notation regarding the crossing of the NYS Railways at Genesee Street in New Hartford but that location does not have any low clearance notation for overhead wire which I found interesting.
 #1368395  by westshore94706

Cactus

Check google maps - the answer is heading in eastward direction Columbia street splits from Whitesboro before the DL+W; Whitesboro st continues eastward intersecting lafayette just before Wiley st. The cartographer who drew the trolley map reversed/mirrored the relationship of these 3 streets

This link should take you to google map showing the present day condition:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/White ... 501eec9231
 #1368496  by Cactus Jack

Ok, next question......

There must have been a crossing of the trolley and the Blue Line out by Whitesboro and Oriskany ?
How did that work ? Whitesboro was a bridge over Oriskany, was the trolley gone before the bridge was built ? Did the trolley cross over on the bridge ?
 #1368619  by westshore94706

Think it was the bridge shown in this picture. Local street car goes over bridge, blue line goes under the bridge and tracks to Rome parallel and south of blue line.

Topo Map at junction of Champlain and Whitesboro at this link: https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?lat=4 ... min&size=m

Somewhere I have sanborn map showing the right of way of trolley line serving Rome - I'll dig it up and post over the next couple of days.
Trolley 2a.jpg
 #1368628  by westshore94706

And here is the answer from map found on the web - dated 1907 -
Utica 3.jpg
Check the left hand side of the map where trolly line takes a sharp turn over the canal. The blue line is noted - I bet this area was reworked with straightened trolley line, new bridge etc when the enlarged canal came along
 #1368668  by Cactus Jack

Westshore,

This has been helpful, many thanks.

Trying to figure out the 1907 map, can you provide a link ? Is there higher resolution ?
I am trying to figure if the Blue Line at this time (1907) was built out to its' final extent or not.

Do you know of any sources of photos of the area of the DL&W New Hartford depot at Genesee Street where the DL&W crossed the trolley ?

Regards,

CJ
 #1368673  by westshore94706

Cactus,

You are welcome.

Here is the link: http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US ... rn false;

And here is Sanborn Map - unfortunately I do not have a detailed map showing the configuration of the bridge crossing and junction of local and Rome line. This map shows the trolley right of way to the south of blue line -see the inset map at the bottom of the page.
Trolley ROW NYMr2.jpg
Unfortunately, do not have any info for the crossing at Genessee St. Good luck with your search - are you writing a book?
 #1368692  by Cactus Jack

Thanks again for the maps and info.
Do you have a date on the Sanborn map as that shows the final termination of the Blue Line.

Matter of fact I am working on a book on the DL&W Utica and Richfield Springs branches, and hopefully some day it will be a reality. It has become far more of a project than I ever expected, on-going since 2002 at least. I must say I've learned lots in doing the research and had to unlearn a few things I thought I knew.