• Transport of bicycles in LD service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by skibum77

Mike, while I disagree with you about the economics of the LD fleet vs. the NEC (and I live in St. Louis, the middle of fly-over country), I'm very much in agreement on being able to bring bikes on-board the LD trains. Most bikes are under 50 lbs, so other than the awkward size of them, it's not like they're adding much more weight than a set of golf clubs or skis. Put a small bike rack in the baggage car, or screw a couple hooks into the ceiling to where you can let the bike hang from the rafters like many people do in their garage. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Arlington, while don't have a problem paying a fee to bring the bike on board, if it was $100 RT or more, I'd probably balk at that, especially if the weight of my bike plus luggage was under the baggage weight limit.

For the record, the last two times I've taken the train, I've had my bike with me - STL - SPI, and WAH - JEF. I simply took the train because I didn't want to risk falling asleep while I was driving home after the ride.
  by AgentSkelly

The bike racks on the Cascades service are quite popular; Talking with both the Talgo Tech and the Conductors, they tell me the racks they have in the baggage car makes loading them up no more harder than a suitcase. Apparently there is also a popular bike tour route that involves Washington State Ferries and Amtrak from Seattle to the San Juan Islands.

I'm aware of an off the shelf solution for commuter trains: http://www.sportworks.com/products/bike ... /swinglock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think the MBTA and the LIRR uses these? It would work well on Superliners for sure where you have extra space.
  by AgentSkelly

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:MBTA does not use those
Yeah, I wasn't sure since I haven't been on the MBCR in ages. But It shows what off the shelf solutions are out there.

The solution I think for taking on bikes is just to make count towards the passenger's free checked luggage allotment.
  by MikeinNeb

I have been told by Amtrak officials that racks similar to these will be fitted into all lower level superliner baggage compartments starting some time in 2015. Supposedly they have already been tested on the Capital Limited. These will be loaded and unloaded by passengers at ANY stop.

In comparison, the bike racks in the new baggage cars will be loaded and unloaded only by Amtrak staff and ONLY at checked baggage locations.
  by Backshophoss

With the exception of the Hertiage car used for the Vermonter service,Amtrak requires the bike to be boxed
to travel on the LD trains,not sure about folding bikes however.
That should change when the View II baggage cars go online.
  by AgentSkelly

This is what they are going look like in the new baggage cars, courtesy of Amtrak's blog:

by ThirdRail7

skibum77 wrote: Most bikes are under 50 lbs, so other than the awkward size of them, it's not like they're adding much more weight than a set of golf clubs or skis. Put a small bike rack in the baggage car, or screw a couple hooks into the ceiling to where you can let the bike hang from the rafters like many people do in their garage. It shouldn't be that difficult.
Spoken like someone who has never actually stepped foot in an Amtrak baggage car. Just hang a couple of hooks from the ceiling, eh? Great suggestion. Unfortunately, Manute Bol and his family don't work for Amtrak, so I'm not sure who's hanging these things from the ceiling.

I'd also love to see some of the forklift drivers maneuver the pallets around the bike racks. Should be interesting to say the least. The reality of the situation is you can check bikes on most trains. It just has to travel to a place with baggage service. I guess removing pedals is just too much for travelers these days, so I suppose it is fortunate that new baggage cars are arriving soon. We can store the bikes right next to the guns that everyone wants to travel.

By the way, golf clubs aren't allowed as carry on on most trains either...but I'm sure someone will whine about that soon and we'll have a pet, quiet,bike, gun, golf club car.
  by AgentSkelly

ThirdRail7 wrote: By the way, golf clubs aren't allowed as carry on on most trains either...but I'm sure someone will whine about that soon and we'll have a pet, quiet,bike, gun, golf club car.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Satellite ... n=golfbags" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ThirdRail7

AgentSkelly wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote: By the way, golf clubs aren't allowed as carry on on most trains either...but I'm sure someone will whine about that soon and we'll have a pet, quiet,bike, gun, golf club car.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Satellite ... n=golfbags" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes. I'm aware that they are allowed on select MidWest trains...which is why I said they aren't allowed as carry on MOST trains. Not all...MOST trains.
  by Greg Moore

ThirdRail7 wrote: I guess removing pedals is just too much for travelers these days, so I suppose it is fortunate that new baggage cars are arriving soon. We can store the bikes right next to the guns that everyone wants to travel.
It's not JUST removing the pedals. It's also loosening the handlebars. And buying or bringing your own bike box. Makes it a bit harder to just bike to the station, check it/bring it on, get off at destination and bike off.
  by hi55us

AgentSkelly wrote:
Golf carts are not accepted.
What about on the Auto Train haha!

I wonder if anyone has ever seriously tried to bring a golf cart on the baggage car of the train lol.
  by Backshophoss

The next thing will be Segway racks and maybe Shopping carts,while waiting for Inspection Extra at Abq back in July,
saw 1 person load a full shopping cart on the last Belen(west)bound NMRX train of the day(without the ramp,not at the
mini-high used for ADA access to boot)
FYI,most golf carts will overload the forklifts used by Amtrak. :P
  by ThirdRail7

Greg Moore wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote: I guess removing pedals is just too much for travelers these days, so I suppose it is fortunate that new baggage cars are arriving soon. We can store the bikes right next to the guns that everyone wants to travel.
It's not JUST removing the pedals. It's also loosening the handlebars. And buying or bringing your own bike box. Makes it a bit harder to just bike to the station, check it/bring it on, get off at destination and bike off.
Oh no! You have to loosen the handlebars AND take the pedals off?? My goodness!!! Well, that just seals it for me. Why make things a "bit" harder? I mean performing two acts and having to put in a box?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Greg Moore

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:
Oh no! You have to loosen the handlebars AND take the pedals off?? My goodness!!! Well, that just seals it for me. Why make things a "bit" harder? I mean performing two acts and having to put in a box?
Right, a box I don't normally bike with. :-) I think you're ignoring a huge fact of the convenience of not having to bike a box.

And honestly, carrying around a specialized wrench for my handle-bar head screw and the pedals is an additional pain. Pedals are relatively simple, but I really prefer not to continually play with my handle-bar head screw.)

Trust me, I'm far more likely to bring my bike on a train once the new baggage cars are in operation than I am now.