• NEC Equipment Moves and Test Trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by DutchRailnut

to NYC with a MN locomotive ???
  by acelaphillies

DutchRailnut wrote:to NYC with a MN locomotive ???
I'm not super knowledgeable about MN operations, but I see my mistake Dutch. When I said NYC I mean the NYC direction, not Penn Station. The move most likely got off the NEC at MMC.
  by kilroy

Saw them headed back west this afternoon from my office. They were passing through the PATH station in Harrison. Wish I had my camera.
  by acelaphillies

Here are my shots of the move:

The MN loco was 4901. I didn't see it in time to get a good detail shot of just the 4901, but I was also running the video camera at the same time. Video will be up with a few days. I was really happy to catch this train :-)
  by nomis

Apparently, it took a stroll south of the Mason Dixon to the ACL.
  by green_elite_cab

I just saw some of this consist on the Atlantic City Line, going through Woodcrest TOWARDS Atlantic City. I gotta pretty poor video of the consist unfortunately. I had just left the platform and was in PATCO's parking lot when it went by. It looks like they traded a PL42AC for a P40DC somewhere along the line though.

screenshot-

Last edited by green_elite_cab on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by acelaphillies

Hmmm...that's strange. G.E.C., the photo that you posted shows a P40 as the second unit. The train I saw only had PL42's. Is there a chance that there a two very similar consists running around? Either that or the PL42 was swapped for a P40 at MMC upon turning back for the ACL.
  by Backshophoss

Granted the MN equipment is considered part of the "pool",is part of MMC still unusable due to Sandy?
Morrisville is a bit of a hike for wheel truing. :wink:
  by green_elite_cab

acelaphillies wrote:Hmmm...that's strange. G.E.C., the photo that you posted shows a P40 as the second unit. The train I saw only had PL42's. Is there a chance that there a two very similar consists running around? Either that or the PL42 was swapped for a P40 at MMC upon turning back for the ACL.
I was distracted by the GP40FH-2, but it was definitely 4901. I noticed your picture had a second PL42AC instead of the P40DC and I wondered the same things.
  by ApproachMedium

Last night an MN F40 pulling all comet V cars went west on the M&E past harrison.
  by 25Hz

green_elite_cab wrote:
acelaphillies wrote:Hmmm...that's strange. G.E.C., the photo that you posted shows a P40 as the second unit. The train I saw only had PL42's. Is there a chance that there a two very similar consists running around? Either that or the PL42 was swapped for a P40 at MMC upon turning back for the ACL.
I was distracted by the GP40FH-2, but it was definitely 4901. I noticed your picture had a second PL42AC instead of the P40DC and I wondered the same things.
Hmm sandy repair test train?
  by R3 Passenger

acelaphillies wrote:There is a NJT move on the NEC right now. Going from MVL to NYC. There is a Metro North loco in the consist. Passed Hamilton about 15-20 mins ago.
This move did not originate at MVL. I passed this move around Tacony heading northbound. If I wasn't driving, I would have snapped a shot. It was really an oddity, especially down in SEPTAland.
  by srock1028

acelaphillies wrote:There is a NJT move on the NEC right now. Going from MVL to NYC. There is a Metro North loco in the consist. Passed Hamilton about 15-20 mins ago.
It was a move to "kill two birds with one stone." A test train out of the MMC (6018-5021-6593-4005-4901-4801-4108), also with two OK engines (4108 and 4801) to swap out two bad engines (4021 and 4203) in Atlantic City. Nothing more, nothing less.