• NEC Equipment Moves and Test Trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nick11a

sixty-six wrote:
Sirsonic wrote:Ill be nice, it was red...
And not NJTs.

I KNOW! I KNOW!

Must be an M&E engine.... probably the 18.

Do I win a prize?
  by ACeInTheHole

25Hz wrote:There are several older ex-CN units floating around that still have their red nosed zebra stripe paint jobs, and M&E RR uses red...
Are the Alcos permitted down the NEC? That surprises me. Anyways, my best guess would be one of the CDOT locos?
  by 25Hz

beanbag wrote:
25Hz wrote:There are several older ex-CN units floating around that still have their red nosed zebra stripe paint jobs, and M&E RR uses red...
Are the Alcos permitted down the NEC? That surprises me. Anyways, my best guess would be one of the CDOT locos?
Well, i'm not aware of any amtrak related restrictions. I've seen GP40's, SD40's GP38's SD38's and more modern -8, -9 and ES locos on the NEC in various spots.

Maybe someone else could lend their knowledge on this?
  by Jtgshu

Well they obviously can go down the NEC if there was one in MV for wheel work..... :)

They did have a speed restriction on the move, I believe it was 70mph, which would have been the max speed for the M&E loco (or whatever the slowest allowed speed of anything else on the train, chances are it was the Alco)
  by ACeInTheHole

lirr42 wrote:
beanbag wrote:Anyways, my best guess would be one of the CDOT locos?
Oh, no! Not another unverified, undocumented, off-property ConnDOT locomotive sighting!

And anyways, ConnDOT locomotives don't have all that much red on them in the first place.
Geez lirr I was just taking a guess no one else had tried for good measure, I know exactly what the CDOT locos look like thank you very much for something I didn't need. i know that they dont have that much red in their paint, but still worth a shot, how can you be dead sure that sirsonic wasn't hiding some other detail related to the color? Based off of someone else's guess here with the CDOT MUs, I went for the locomotives. No reason to act like a smarty pants with the off topic thread insertion and subsequent sarcastic comments. Doesn't make you look any better, get over yourself. Now, back on topic.
  by Train2009

3 days ago Sunday 01/27 I saw a eastbound move from Morrisville, PA to MMC with a Comet 5 cab car leading, 2 Comet 4 cars, 2 comet IIs, comet 5, 2 GP40PH Locos and a Metro North Comet 5. This came by Linden late morning.
  by 25Hz

Train2009 wrote:3 days ago Sunday 01/27 I saw a eastbound move from Morrisville, PA to MMC with a Comet 5 cab car leading, 2 Comet 4 cars, 2 comet IIs, comet 5, 2 GP40PH Locos and a Metro North Comet 5. This came by Linden late morning.
Must be interesting trying to schedule all these moves to morrisville when the NEC is super-duper busy through FAIR and UNION all most all day. You got that plus the freight moves through MORRIS and the semi-bottleneck through DOCK. Speaking of which, i'm surprised no one has caught these moves through nwk!
  by sixty-six

25Hz wrote:
Train2009 wrote:3 days ago Sunday 01/27 I saw a eastbound move from Morrisville, PA to MMC with a Comet 5 cab car leading, 2 Comet 4 cars, 2 comet IIs, comet 5, 2 GP40PH Locos and a Metro North Comet 5. This came by Linden late morning.
Must be interesting trying to schedule all these moves to morrisville when the NEC is super-duper busy through FAIR and UNION all most all day. You got that plus the freight moves through MORRIS and the semi-bottleneck through DOCK. Speaking of which, i'm surprised no one has caught these moves through nwk!
Not really. The Corridor is only super-duper busy during rush hour.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Every Saturday and Sunday between 9am and 2 pm, you can see sometimes as many as 3 or 4 equipment moves of varying types and sizes and consists. It will take me time to dig them up, but I have numerous photos of mixed bag equipment moves I caught at places like Linden, Elizabeth, and Rahway. Gimme time (I have 152,000+ PHOTOS!!!!!), and I shall scrounge a few up!!! :-)
  by Train2009

Yesterday early afternoon before 2 PM in Elizabeth, NJ I saw a move headed west from MMC to Morrisville, PA with ALP46 #4603 2 comet II, one Comet 5 and 9 Arrow Mus. I saw #4603 on my way to Newark- Penn Station in the morning sitting in Hudson Yard, this was the Hudson Crew who took the 12 cars down.

As well as the Bay Head to MMC and back Fuel Move with 6 cars and 2 GP40PH-2s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDsr-dQU350
  by Train2009

Just before 1:50 PM this afternoon in Elizabeth, NJ I saw GP40 - 2 #4300 leading a move with 2 ALP46, 12 cars and 3 GP40PHs headed east to MMC. On the 13th of this past month #4300 towed 2 Comet IVs.
  by Train2009

Train2009 wrote:Just before 1:50 PM this afternoon in Elizabeth, NJ I saw GP40 - 2 #4300 leading a move with 2 ALP46, 12 cars and 3 GP40PHs headed east to MMC. On the 13th of this past month #4300 towed 2 Comet IVs.
The last 3 Cars and the 3 GP40PHs were coming from the Atlantic City line, it left Atlantic City the other day Saturday 06/15.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mHiMzyq-A4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On Sunday 04/14 GP40-2 #4303 and #4302 had a ALP46 and 3 cars headed by Linden on its way to MMC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOLEHzsVOoY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Train2009

This afternoon after 1:30 PM a ALP46 was towing 9 Arrow MU Cars from Morrisville, PA to MMC as it went by eastbound in Linden.