• Super Bowl Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Fan Railer

Olton Hall wrote:Reports are saying they suspended the security screening at 2:45 to try and get people moving. Also reports of not anough trains going to the stadium.
I wouldn't say there "weren't enough shuttle trains." It's more like, not enough loading speed.
nomis wrote:It doesn't look like many left early by the end of the game ... Now the real crunch comes for NJT ...
It should be somewhat better, considering they're not going to be funneling everyone through damn security. That's really what screwed shit up earlier today. Not sure why the NFL or transit were so up tight about these new regs. Things were better when this nation was actually "free."
  by lirr42

I can imagine it takes a while to load MLV's. Essentially, they only have the two quarterpoint doors. They have the end-doors, but people going in there have to cram into the same staircases, so it doesn't help all that much.
  by Olton Hall

The latest word is they miscalculated the number of anticipated number of riders by almost a factor of 3. NJ Transit is also blaming the fans for showing up 2 hours early. It sounds like the return trip is going well though. Maybe removing TSA from the equation is helping.
  by Fan Railer

Olton Hall wrote:The latest word is they miscalculated the number of anticipated number of riders by almost a factor of 3. NJ Transit is also blaming the fans for showing up 2 hours early. It sounds like the return trip is going well though. Maybe removing TSA from the equation is helping.
EXACTLY. Unnecessary from the start. Even without them, there were MORE than enough NJT PD jokers there already.
  by Amtrak7

Olton Hall wrote:The latest word is they miscalculated the number of anticipated number of riders by almost a factor of 3. NJ Transit is also blaming the fans for showing up 2 hours early. It sounds like the return trip is going well though. Maybe removing TSA from the equation is helping.
Not quite. This came up on my Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/amysrosenberg/statu ... 20/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those taking the train are being advised to wait in the stadium.
  by lirr42

The ride home is going anything but smoothly:

by Fan Railer

lirr42 wrote:The ride home is going anything but smoothly:

LOOOOOOOOL Looks like a few more platforms are in order for this station :P
  by rider65

The question is where are the 28000 people going after at SEC. The rest of the rail system is running normal schedule. Going to be some packed trains
  by lirr42

In my opinion, the distance between the venues and the rail station is a huge factor. A nice long walk to the station allows the crowd to thin out, stretch their legs, etc. During this long walk the faster people get to the boarding gates quicker and the slower people fall behind. In this way, you have a pretty even stream of passengers flowing into the station.

One of the reasons things work so well at Mets-Willets Point and Yankees-E 153rd Street is the considerable distance from the venue to the station. In both of these cases, it's about a 0.3 mile walk to each of those stations.

By comparison, it's only about 400 feet at the Meadowlands. On Belmont Stakes Day, Belmont Park is frequently overrun with bad crowding at the station gates, and the platforms are 700 feet away from that venue.
  by nomis

lirr42 wrote: One of the reasons things work so well at Mets-Willets Point and Yankees-E 153rd Street is the considerable distance from the venue to the station. In both of these cases, it's about a 0.3 mile walk to each of those stations.

By comparison, it's only about 400 feet at the Meadowlands. On Belmont Stakes Day, Belmont Park is frequently overrun with bad crowding at the station gates, and the platforms are 700 feet away from that venue.
To add (as an aside): Philadelphia's stadiums fall into the long distance walk category, while Wrigley and Fenway are not that far of a walk from their transit stations. Only thinking of mass-transit centric cities for now. Maybe a spinoff topic is in order ...
  by CentralValleyRail

This is what you get when you have a state run by a moron that a good majority of you voted for. It wouldn't surprise me if he decided to create a little pedestrian traffic by suspending TSA operations at SEC today after being booed in NYC yesterday.
And I don't even want to hear anyone tell me oh this isn't the place for politics (the only ones who complain about that are the ones who voted for him), when you stand cramped in a train station for a good 75 minutes sweating your nuts off like my cousin did and was late meeting us because of NJT's pathetic system they had in place then you can come talk to me.

Thank God I drove to the game. Really defines the parking pass as priceless!!!

People were chanting Jersey Sucks after what went down today. What do you think the people of Colorado and Washington State who came here think of us now, embarrassing state run agency, PATHETIC. I don't even have the words for it so disgusting. It should've been obvious that doing what they did was going to create problems both going and coming home. It's sad when you know more than the customer service agents on a daily basis that is there job, I'm just a commuter ( really? why is that so hard) MNRR gets it, LIRR gets it even MARC gets it. And John Durso has the frickin nerve to say it all went according to plan. Where was he Colorado, Washington State taking some reefer in?
  by morris&essex4ever

CentralValleyRail wrote:This is what you get when you have a state run by a moron that a good majority of you voted for.
I didn't know Jon I don't know where the money went Corzine was still governor of NJ. :P
  by Ken W2KB

lirr42 wrote:I can imagine it takes a while to load MLV's. Essentially, they only have the two quarterpoint doors. They have the end-doors, but people going in there have to cram into the same staircases, so it doesn't help all that much.
The MLV's loading and unloading is efficient if passengers follow the logical path. I've commuted to work on that equipment every weekday on the RVL. For example, if the platform is on the right (engineer) side of the train, those passengers coming from the upper level should turn right to the quarterpoint door there to exit the train, while those from the lower level should walk straight ahead to the end door and turn right in the vestibule so neither group interferes with the other. Similar protocol for boarding. However, like you I've noticed that a majority of passengers are clueless in that regard and use the quarterpoint door regardless thereby having to merge and slowing everyone down.