• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by poppyl

Matt Langworthy wrote:
poppyl wrote:Maybe I'm confused here but the plan was for NS to haul the debris up the Corning Secondary and FGLK to move it to the old Seneca Depot where it would be off-loaded to trucks and hauled to landfills. I'm assuming that the NS traffic would be added to the daily HO6 run, maybe with six axle power vice the four axle now in use.

Has something changed fairly recently that would affect the plan?
I can find that out, too. BTW, when did NS use 4 axle power for H06? I've only seen it (either in person or via the photographs taken by other chasers) with six axle power.
My mistake on the axles -- nothing but six axle at present.

Poppyl
  by scharnhorst

poppyl wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:
poppyl wrote:Maybe I'm confused here but the plan was for NS to haul the debris up the Corning Secondary and FGLK to move it to the old Seneca Depot where it would be off-loaded to trucks and hauled to landfills. I'm assuming that the NS traffic would be added to the daily HO6 run, maybe with six axle power vice the four axle now in use.

Has something changed fairly recently that would affect the plan?
I can find that out, too. BTW, when did NS use 4 axle power for H06? I've only seen it (either in person or via the photographs taken by other chasers) with six axle power.
My mistake on the axles -- nothing but six axle at present.

Poppyl
I have seen it with 4 Axle power only once when I was in Geneva at a kids Hockey Game 10 years ago. The train had 1 GP38 and a GP60 it was the first and only time that I ever saw them come into Geneva around 12:00p.m. with a short 20 car train and leave with a 30 car train.
  by poppyl

I wasn't going to get into this because it's off topic and doesn't justify my goof up, but back when the coal drags were still running to Dresden, HO6 occasionally had four axle power. It's all moot now, however.

Back to the FGLK topic, was the trash transfer job at the Depot in the works before Sandy? Seems like it might have been given the track work last summer.

Poppyl
  by scharnhorst

poppyl wrote:I wasn't going to get into this because it's off topic and doesn't justify my goof up, but back when the coal drags were still running to Dresden, HO6 occasionally had four axle power. It's all moot now, however.

Back to the FGLK topic, was the trash transfer job at the Depot in the works before Sandy? Seems like it might have been given the track work last summer.

Poppyl

No... the original plan was to have the train go directly to Seneca Meadows. The land fill pitched the idea of opening up a clay mine about 3 or 4 years ago once they had finished up they planed to fill the open strip mine with garbage. They had drafted up plans to have a railroad siding and passing track put in with a rotatory dumper this was published in the Finger Lakes Times with a blue print. The routeing from what I understand was that the trash cars were going to come in on CSX by way of Syracuse where they would be handed off to Finger Lakes. Total trains if I remember were going to be about 2 trains a week which would have eliminated 90 some odd semi trucks a day that travel up and down from New York City and New Jersey every day.

Seneca County refused to renew and issue any more permits to Seneca Meadows about a year and half ago there for killing the land fill expansion plans so the plans to have a siding were canceled as well.

The trash train issue. As it was explained from a friend who works with NS he told me that they lost the Maresk Contract to CSX. So NS took the Trash train contracts and a few other tidbits that CSX decided to let go as far as low income cargo trains go my friend did not elaborate as to what else NS picked up... but it dose explane why the trash will come up on NS rather than on CSX now.
  by Matt Langworthy

According to my source, the trash/debris trains will start rolling on FGLK next month. He doesn't know the transload location... yet. He did tell me that the clean-up from Hurricane Sandy is a strong factor in the renewed interest to get these trains running.
  by Matt Langworthy

Gondolas are being stored by FGLK on the west end of the former Ontario Central in Victor. I saw them on Christmas Eve and yesterday.
  by dj_paige

Matt Langworthy wrote:Gondolas are being stored by FGLK on the west end of the former Ontario Central in Victor. I saw them on Christmas Eve and yesterday.
West end of the tracks, at Victor-Mendon Road?
  by lvrr325

IIRC, this was empty a month earlier, although it was dark when I crossed at Route 251 and drove through town.
  by Matt Langworthy

dj_paige wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:Gondolas are being stored by FGLK on the west end of the former Ontario Central in Victor. I saw them on Christmas Eve and yesterday.
West end of the tracks, at Victor-Mendon Road?
They don't go all the way to the Route 251 crossing.
  by scharnhorst

There is also a long cut of ATW Gondolas in the Columbus Street Yard at the old Agway here in Auburn all are in temporary storage and have not moved in 2 or 3 weeks and could move at any time when Nucor calls for them. Both of the sidings off North Street are also packed full of Gondolas with TKEN and Green Mountain RR reporting marks awaiting there turn for loading at Nucor as well.
  by CPSD40-2

Everything I've heard on our local news in Geneva says that it wont be moving by rail, as does a Daily Messenger article from 12/13:

http://www.mpnnow.com/topstories/x19223 ... ndy-debris

Not saying that this hasn't changed, as it very well could have. As much as I'd like to see the railroad get the business though, the idea of having another 70 garbage semi's rolling by every day isn't very appealing - It is a constant stream already on 5&20, all day & all night. I wish they'd skip the idea of the transload facility altogether and just re-visit the siding at Seneca Meadows. No matter what, three of the highest points in Seneca & Ontario counties will continue to get higher. Anyone want to build a ski area?