• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scharnhorst

here is something that we don't see every day on Finger lakes only 3 Coil cars have been known to have been dropped off in Geneva by Norfolk Southern at different times between 2011 and now none ever stopped in Auburn along the way they went direct to CSX. But this is the first one ever to be dropped off at Nucor in Auburn, NY it came in with a load for Nucor and left empty on October 19, 2012!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scharnhorst on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by scharnhorst

detail on the lid shows that DJJX and Nucor are working together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Awol

I coould have sworn this exact car came in two days before on then sweeping train to Geneva. I was curious as to its origin as it did not fit the bill of the normal AT&W covered gondolas FLRR ormally gets. Was shoved right up the corning sc, possiblt interchanged to the N&S. dunno for sure.... there are an awful lot of cars on that main between pre-emssion road and Packnwood road.... don't look like like the FLRR will be running to Lyons for some time. Weeds are taller than me North of Packnwood road!
  by scharnhorst

Awol wrote:I coould have sworn this exact car came in two days before on then sweeping train to Geneva. I was curious as to its origin as it did not fit the bill of the normal AT&W covered gondolas FLRR ormally gets. Was shoved right up the corning sc, possiblt interchanged to the N&S. dunno for sure.... there are an awful lot of cars on that main between pre-emssion road and Packnwood road.... don't look like like the FLRR will be running to Lyons for some time. Weeds are taller than me North of Packnwood road!
it's an odd ball car for sure and one that caught my eye when I was crossing the tracks on North Street I tend to look down into the Yard to see whats there. From a distance this car towered a bit above the normal gons that are often on the siding. So I made a snap decision to check it out.
  by poppyl

Track and tie work between Himrod and Penn Yan has been completed. And grain (soy, I imagine) shipments out of PY are back underway. I counted five hoppers there late last week.

Poppyl
  by scharnhorst

A friend of mine did a little research while I was out of State this past weekend and informed me that DJJX was bought out by Nucor.
  by Awol

Saw two Eastbound trains behind the Auburn mall today.... I could swear they had the same locomotives.... too far away to tell... Appeared to be about a 20 car train, then a 50 car train, about 2 hours apart. Anyone see this as well? is the FGLR running multiple trains on the Auburn? Is there an increaesed amount of traffic to warrant such a change? Also, some reefer cars have been arriving into the Auburn area, but I have not seen where they go... any info onto where they are going? Is this a new customer?
  by scharnhorst

Awol wrote:Saw two Eastbound trains behind the Auburn mall today.... I could swear they had the same locomotives.... too far away to tell... Appeared to be about a 20 car train, then a 50 car train, about 2 hours apart. Anyone see this as well? is the FGLR running multiple trains on the Auburn? Is there an increaesed amount of traffic to warrant such a change? Also, some reefer cars have been arriving into the Auburn area, but I have not seen where they go... any info onto where they are going? Is this a new customer?
Your not seeing things there were two East Bound Trains and later last night there were 2 West Bound Trains as well the first West bound was around 5:30 - 6:00p.m. and the 2ed West Bound was around 8:00p.m. There is a private Railroad contractor doing a bunch of work East of Auburn which also enplanes why there are 2 East Bound trains one morning train and one late afternoon train with Both coming back West last at night This has been going on for at least a month. If you drive around you'll find all 7 pieces of MOW Equipment between Auburn and Skaneatlas Jct.

FGLK also ran 2 trains on Friday one Empty West Bound Ballast Train and the Geneva-Solvay Train they both met in Auburn and passed each other.

Reefer Cars go in and out of Seneca Foods in Geneva.
  by jayenelee

poppyl wrote:Track and tie work between Himrod and Penn Yan has been completed. And grain (soy, I imagine) shipments out of PY are back underway. I counted five hoppers there late last week.

Poppyl
Did you check the reporting marks? Lakeview Organic Grains owns three covered hoppers and one box car (Marked LKVW, I believe) that get moved between the Blodgett siding and Lakeview's location on the run around track. These never leave town (to my knowledge) and are used for storage. I'm seeing that Blodgett does have at least two cars this week, and Burkett's transloading facility even had a boxcar spotted last week, the first time in a few years.
  by poppyl

jayenelee wrote:
poppyl wrote:Track and tie work between Himrod and Penn Yan has been completed. And grain (soy, I imagine) shipments out of PY are back underway. I counted five hoppers there late last week.

Poppyl
Did you check the reporting marks? Lakeview Organic Grains owns three covered hoppers and one box car (Marked LKVW, I believe) that get moved between the Blodgett siding and Lakeview's location on the run around track. These never leave town (to my knowledge) and are used for storage. I'm seeing that Blodgett does have at least two cars this week, and Burkett's transloading facility even had a boxcar spotted last week, the first time in a few years.
I was "rushing" into Morgan's and did not have the time to check the marks but the configuration that you mentioned looked like the one that I saw. I did not see the Lakeview boxcar but it may have been obscured by the hoppers. I do remember that Lakeview was loading two of the hoppers using their portable loaders. Perhaps unrelated to this but there have been several hoppers sitting at Himrod for some time. More rolling Lakeview soy storage?

Poppyl
  by bwparker1

jayenelee wrote:

Poppyl
When I was offered an impromptu cab ride several years ago in Penn Yan on a FGLK local, we actually spotted a boxcar at that facility... I was told it was being loaded with bags of salt from Watkins Glen. We also switched out the plastics customer at the end of the line.
  by jayenelee

Been a year or so since I chatted with any of my aquaintences at Lake View. It's hard telling. I know from a conversation with Klaas that he liked those old rail cars he already had because they were altogether cheap storage. A few years ago, they had almost reduced the amount of grain brought in by rail to nothing, as local production was so strong. He had said that in a few more years they will be sending a lot out by rail if that trend continued. But with so many local dairies switching to organic since then, it could easily be that all they need is more storage space instead, and with the right deal from FGLK more cars could answer....well it's purely speculation until I run into someone who knows and who's in the mood to talk...
  by poppyl

Whether the grain is coming, going, or just staying, they seem quite busy and that's good. The more I think about it, car storage makes a lot of sense. The empty track north of Silgan up to the autoracks in Bellona would be closer to Lakeview than the Himrod yard, IMO.

Poppyl