• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scharnhorst

I'll be looking for 1702 come July as I'm moving out to Tulsa in July.
  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:Well, that's where it came from when it came TO FGLK. I can guarantee it was still operational December 12, 2010, it was on the Clinton to Weatherford job along with Farmrail 316. :-D

a photo of mentioned loco in flickr was taken in sept 9th 2012. So it was still running as FMRC 1702 as of that date...
  by BR&P

scharnhorst wrote:I'll be looking for 1702 come July as I'm moving out to Tulsa in July.
That will put you roughly 2 1/2 to 3 hours from Farmrail HQ. I-44 to OKC, I-40 to Clinton. First Clinton exit (can't remember if it's 68, 69 or 70) and the shop is about 2 miles on your left just as you're coming into the town.

Off-topic gripe since we're talking about finding locations while traveling - I think NY is the only state outdated enough to cling to sequential numbering of expressway exits. Almost any other place if you're at exit 20 and are looking for exit 25, you KNOW it's 5 miles. Here, it could be one mile or 45.
  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:Off-topic gripe since we're talking about finding locations while traveling - I think NY is the only state outdated enough to cling to sequential numbering of expressway exits. Almost any other place if you're at exit 20 and are looking for exit 25, you KNOW it's 5 miles. Here, it could be one mile or 45.

few years ago, there were talk about change to that. but I guess that it died out... I'll ask around to see what's the status of that. State's financial situation must had killed it. They dont have $ to replace all of these signs anyway...
  by scottychaos

sd80mac wrote:
BR&P wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:Off-topic gripe since we're talking about finding locations while traveling - I think NY is the only state outdated enough to cling to sequential numbering of expressway exits. Almost any other place if you're at exit 20 and are looking for exit 25, you KNOW it's 5 miles. Here, it could be one mile or 45.

few years ago, there were talk about change to that. but I guess that it died out... I'll ask around to see what's the status of that. State's financial situation must had killed it. They dont have $ to replace all of these signs anyway...
Eleven states still use sequential numbering, although most of those of 11 are slowly in the process of switching over to mileage-based exit numbers.
New Jersey for example is still sequential on the NJ Turnpike, but is mileage-based elsewhere.
other states are similar..half-and-half..slowly switching over.

Scot
  by Matt Langworthy

FYI- the garbage/debris trains (from the Hurricane Sandy clean-up) will start on FGLK very soon. A very reliable source gave me that information last night.
  by Aji-tater

Matt Langworthy wrote:FYI- the garbage/debris trains (from the Hurricane Sandy clean-up) will start on FGLK very soon. A very reliable source gave me that information last night.
Where is the transload going to be done?
  by Awol

But the town of Fayette said no! NIMBY complainers want nothing to do with the local economy... they want more pretty trails! idiots.
  by poppyl

Maybe I'm confused here but the plan was for NS to haul the debris up the Corning Secondary and FGLK to move it to the old Seneca Depot where it would be off-loaded to trucks and hauled to landfills. I'm assuming that the NS traffic would be added to the daily HO6 run, maybe with six axle power vice the four axle now in use.

Has something changed fairly recently that would affect the plan?

Poppyl
  by Aji-tater

Matt Langworthy wrote:FYI- the garbage/debris trains (from the Hurricane Sandy clean-up) will start on FGLK very soon. A very reliable source gave me that information last night.
Is that the same "very reliable source" you quoted on another thread not long ago, with embarrassing results? :P
  by Matt Langworthy

Aji-tater wrote:
Not sure yet... but I can find out when I see the source tomorrow.

As for your other comment, I'll spare lowering myself to your level. Do it again and I'll report you to the moderator/admin. Let's leave the insults and personal digs out of the conversation.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Matt Langworthy

poppyl wrote:Maybe I'm confused here but the plan was for NS to haul the debris up the Corning Secondary and FGLK to move it to the old Seneca Depot where it would be off-loaded to trucks and hauled to landfills. I'm assuming that the NS traffic would be added to the daily HO6 run, maybe with six axle power vice the four axle now in use.

Has something changed fairly recently that would affect the plan?
I can find that out, too. BTW, when did NS use 4 axle power for H06? I've only seen it (either in person or via the photographs taken by other chasers) with six axle power.
  by scharnhorst

Matt Langworthy wrote:
Aji-tater wrote:
Not sure yet... but I can find out when I see the source tomorrow.

As for your other comment, I'll spare lowering myself to your level. Do it again and I'll report you to the moderator/admin. Let's leave the insults and personal digs out of the conversation.

I was told the same as you were about the Trash Trains coming up NS to FGLK as well with the trans-load area being at the old Seneca Army Depot. I don't think anyone payed much attention but Finger Lakes was upgrading the track most of this past fall that info came from an engineer who works for FGLK out of Geneva who passed that on over at Lake City Hobby. My source told be about it in November at the Train show and works for FGLK here in Auburn. There was no Date as to when this would take place other than some time in early 2013 as noted by both of our Sources. In the mean time I'll ask a close friend of mine who works for NS in there Media Department if he knows anything about the movements.
  by Aji-tater

Matt, maybe I was wrong, I thought not long ago it was you who quoted "a very reliable source" which turned out to be entirely wrong. If it was not you I apologize. If it was you, I would hope you have a thick enough skin to accept a good-humored needle about it. If it was someone else not you I can understand your irritation. We all make mistakes and I can laugh at mine. If the shoe fits wear it, if it does not fit throw it at me! :wink:

As for the trash train, I heard the NIMBY and political opposition had things on hold but I cannot state that from first-hand experience.
  by Matt Langworthy

Aji-tater wrote:Matt, maybe I was wrong, I thought not long ago it was you who quoted "a very reliable source" which turned out to be entirely wrong. If it was not you I apologize. If it was you, I would hope you have a thick enough skin to accept a good-humored needle about it. If it was someone else not you I can understand your irritation. We all make mistakes and I can laugh at mine. If the shoe fits wear it, if it does not fit throw it at me! :wink:

As for the trash train, I heard the NIMBY and political opposition had things on hold but I cannot state that from first-hand experience.
Apology accepted. This particular source is very reliable and I've known him a long time.