• computerized trains on the lirr

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by point88

Mark,
Not enough people have been caught through the years. That is one of the big reasons we are at this point. Trainmen are there own worst enemy to quote a LIRR saying. So now we face these changes that we helped bring on.
Clemuel,
Did you say right that the railroad is going to let go probational employees? Do you mean trainmen? Does the A/C class that is in there now know that. Why did the railroad mess with all those peoples lives like that? Why did the railroad higher trainmen to hang everyday. They have to sit by there phone and wait to report to the station master or shadow a crew or collector. What is that about. Did they do that just to cut relief days back? The whole thing is crazy.

by Clemuel

No, Point, I didn't say ther Railroad will let go of probationary trainmen. They do watch which ones are not doing their job and dismiss them before their probation expires.

That way, they need not accuse them or hold a trial and the Union can't even represent them. Compared to the world outside, even a trainmen's job is very secure though I believe the days of seven day weeks and four hour jobs are ending.

Get used to a flat week and crummy raises, get some seniority and a cash business on the outside and you've got a great job.

At least that's my humble opinion.

C

by Liquidcamphor

Point..they hired the new classes to position themselves (LIRR) for the 2005 retirements that will be occuring this Spring and later in the Fall. In addition, they have several Capital projects lined up for 2005 which will cause a manpower drain in order to provide "Flagmen" for the contractors. Put this all together and that's why they have been hiring.

The "Shadowing" Clem is refferring to is just railroad lingo. Lately they have had a surplus of trainmen and there aren't enough jobs for all of them...so, "shadowing" is having two people assigned to the same run number in the same crew position. I wish they "shadowed" Engineers but they don't. When there are a surplus of them, they create jobs called "Protect"...and what that means is, the Engr reports to a designated terminal and works "as directed" by the Movement Bureau or Stationmaster. There is always something to do, especially with an operation the size of the LIRR's.

So much for the LIRR "screwing with people's lives". Real companies would furlough them until they needed them. The LIRR isn't doing that so are they really screwing with anyone? But they have the right just like any business to be a little selfish and hire as many as they see fit...even if it means waiting by a phone everyday for the employee. The feeling is, if the employee doesn't like it, quit.

The probationary employees are not all being fired. But, in theory, they do not have union protection until one year of service. There are an inordinate amount of them being dismissed but for real reasons..some seem to forget that the money they collect is the railroad's and not theirs to keep, some are insubordinate, some don't show up on time or do their jobs..well, if you were the railroad, would you keep people like this? I think Clem is trying to say that the LIRR is taking a zero tolerance policy with them and booting them out. If your new there, do your job and listen more than talk and you'll be fine. Most are very nice and seem to try to do their job...but like anyplace some are complete assholes that never should have been hired.

I think some of the trainmen on here are caught in the age-old railroad problem of "the bad apple spoiling the whole barrel"..many, many nights especially when I was new, I was waiting hours for a train in NY or Hillside at 5am..you were there with the guys you work with(Condr and Asst Condr) too. And you were in it together begininning to end. Sometimes you did have someone who acted like they were working alone and wanted to bail-off and play games. People like that tend to be very selfish. If their "bail-off" plans were disrupted because we had to run an equipment train at the end of the job, they would cry and moan until you got sick of listening to it. Some would argue with the Condr about having to stay..which I thought was rediculous. There are quite a few trainmen that I know would never do anything like that and they shouldn't be lumped in with the "bad apples". It has to be very frustrating for them because they have a work ethic and some of their members don't..yet they have no control over that and have to endure a negative image for their craft.