Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyrmetros

This past Tuesday morning I was taking the LIRR from Bayside into the city and I saw a freight train (gravel cars) with a LIRR engine going towards Great neck. Does anyone know anything about it? I took some pictures from my phone. I'll see if I can get them uploaded.
  by nyrmetros

by workextra

If those photos are from last Tuesday, they were of a work extra delivering ballast hoppers to I believe Bayside team.
  by nyrmetros

workextra wrote:If those photos are from last Tuesday, they were of a work extra delivering ballast hoppers to I believe Bayside team.
yea it was def last Tuesday cause I was on my way to the Red Bull Arena in Harrison, NJ.
  by NIMBYkiller

I'd say overall, a 2nd track to PW isn't really necessary. As was mentioned, the service does fine except for when an EB is late. The only gap that creates a serious problem is weekday mornings. 7:04 is the last train til about 8:30 out of Great Neck EB to PW, and I've fallen into that gap several times as I work overnight shift at the hotel across the street from the Great Neck train station sometimes. A passing siding could end all that, and it could help the WBs run on/close to schedule when EBs are late, but we all know how much the RR loves to use passing sidings and meets.
  by nyrmetros

I saw the same freight train at the Shea siding last night on my way to Harrison for the Red Bulls game. I saw a few additional yellow work train cars at the siding.
  by tun

Whatever happened to the supposedly new Shea yard and station rebuild that was supposed to be happen because of the IRT 7 extension?
  by nyrmetros

I think they just put a nwe coat of paint on the shea stop.
  by tun

nyrmetros wrote:I think they just put a nwe coat of paint on the shea stop.
What about the 12 car platform extensions? :D
  by nyrmetros

tun wrote:
nyrmetros wrote:I think they just put a nwe coat of paint on the shea stop.
What about the 12 car platform extensions? :D
I haven't gone to a game at Shea this year so I haven't really seen the platform work. I wonder what the LIRR ridership numbers are for Mets games?
  by nyrmetros

Does anyone have rough numbers on the % of the average gameday crowd at Shea that uses the LIRR vs the elevated 7 ?
  by nyrmetros

PW trains are getting cut every half hour now. :(
  by tun

nyrmetros wrote:PW trains are getting cut every half hour now. :(
Tell me about it. I wish they had cut the XX:43's out of Port Washington instead of the XX:10's. I take the train to Woodside on the weekends and for me it's gonna mean getting there 15 minutes late or 45 minutes early.
Last edited by tun on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by nyrmetros

Gonna be terrible after Rangers games or coming back from Red Bull Arena late at night. :(
  by tun

nyrmetros wrote:Gonna be terrible after Rangers games or coming back from Red Bull Arena late at night. :(
You can throw in Yankees games to that mix.

A night out in the city to go drinking hasn't really been affected though. The 1:19am and 3:19am are still there. :-) A 2:19am would definitely be appreciated though. There have been many nights where I wanted to stay a little longer than the 1:19 but not long enough for the 3:19.