Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by DutchRailnut

For the units to be Tier 1 acceptable they must be Accepted by the railroad, not just delivered.
Acceptance must include the acceptance tersting of these units before they can be in Revenue service.

by ABCD

All that is needed to comply with the EPA regs is the engine must be sitting in the loco and started, this will actually give the loco a "born on" date and the EPA will be satisfied. To date I think there has been 13 or 14 up and running but that is all, by that I mean no hep testing or traction testing.

The performance and conformance testing is going very well out in Pueblo, I have not heard when the testing will be done, or any final ship dates. The FRA has been all over the loco's and I hear they are happy and only had a small nom-mechanical issue.

That is about all I know right now.

by nick11a

Thanks as always ABCD. Glad to hear all is going well.

by Jamshid

This Photo which was taken on Aug 28th, 2004 apparently shows a completed PL42AC locomotives in Elkhart, IN
BLE on its [url=http://www.ble272.org/Ergopage.htm]ergonomics committee report[/url] wrote:First of all, all thirty three engines have to be delivered before December 31, 2004 in order to be in compliance with the tier 1 emissions requirements of 40CFR92. After December, 2004 tighter restrictions for exhaust emissions must be met therefore, a more expensive locomotive.
So according to limited left time I'd like to know:
  1. How many locomotives have been delivered to NJT so far? How many commissioned? Is there any in revenue service now?
  2. Is there any anticipation about project completing date?
  3. What would (will) happen if Alstom could (do) not complete project within this year?

by thebigc

No access door in the back of the loco?

by ABCD

No access door in the back of the loco?
Yes there is a door at the back of the Loco, about the same size of the front side door except it has a small window.

That pipe you see just to the left of the front door is the drain for the crapper, which is just to the left as you go into the door.

by thebigc

But I don't see any ladders, grab irons, or steps in the back of any type.

Maybe it's the photo angle...

by nick11a

Isn't there supposed to be direct access to the loco from the coaches?

by ABCD

There is no grab handles on the rear end, just a door.

I don't think you can walk from the rear of the loco to a coach, the height difference is quite alot, just don't think it would be too safe.

by Jamshid

nick11a wrote:Isn't there supposed to be direct access to the loco from the coaches?
Actually there is a communicating door between locomotive and coaches.
(A guy from Alstom spain (SLO) told me last year.)
This arrangment reffered to as power car in Europe.(as opposed to the states where it called locomotive.)
I think former LRC locomotives of VIA in Canada and vintage E and F units also had such a communicating door, but never used in Push-Pull arrangment as HST trains in Britain. (I don't mean aplication of a cab car, I mean two power cars (locomotives) at front and rear of train and MU cable trough the train.)

by Jtgshu

nick11a wrote:Isn't there supposed to be direct access to the loco from the coaches?
There is no direct access from the coaches to a 44 or 46. Although a 46 is easier because you can squeeze out via the front of the motor on teh front walkway next to the coach, but you still have to go all the way down to ground level, then climb back up to get in.

by Zeke

Say.... I like it, rather brutish looking but those trucks sure look like trouble unless they are some proven Euro design. They shoulda stuck some Blombergs underneath. 4003 eh ? shades of New York Central E-7's.

by Mr Met

okay when should these units be painted up and be on NJT and will these run on the AC line

by BigDell

A practical design need not be devoid of aesthetic sensibility

Then you and others should donate towards a certain design that you put forward. Be pro-active. If you leave it to bureaucrats and their money, then you have abrogated your right to complain. JMHO...besides, in push mode, you don't get to see the power until you see the end of the train, so what's the difference...
I understand your point, IC, but with all due respect I must take a different POV...

This nation has a long tradition of wonderful architectural and industrial design. We have buildings that are preserved as landmarks not just for historical reasons but aesthetic reasons as well. Same for our transportation. The DC-3, the 707, some of our WWII fighters.... all quite pleasing to the eye. We look at some of the older diesel, electric, steam designs and think "wow... simply rendered but absolutely beautiful..." (thank goodness we preserved them).

I work very hard to always give the best results for what I'm paid. I pay a lot of taxes (too much, really), so I definitely have not abrogated my right to complain...in fact, if anything, I've earned it...! ;-D
I am many things but I'm not an industrial designer. I would think that a bunch of people who do this for a living SHOULD be able to come up with something that looks better than a shoebox with a couple little windows.

But hey! Thats just my VERY HUMBLE and sincere opinion.... ;-)

I shall wait until the first one comes tooling down the mainline and see what it REALLY looks like in NJT colors.... Lets hope for the best...
BigDell

by Irish Chieftain

This nation has a long tradition of wonderful architectural and industrial design
None of which was created by the modern government bureaucracy that we currently live under.
We have buildings that are preserved as landmarks not just for historical reasons but aesthetic reasons as well
If not for the wanton destruction of NY Penn Station, we may not have had such preservation. Penn Station fell victim to the very mindset that currently controls the look of commuter diesel locos, I daresay.
Same for our transportation. The DC-3, the 707, some of our WWII fighters.... all quite pleasing to the eye.
One may describe that as a "happy accident" that aerodynamic requirements resulted in the shape of modern aircraft. Nonetheless, we do not have government control in airline design—that is still dictated by the free market.
I am many things but I'm not an industrial designer. I would think that a bunch of people who do this for a living SHOULD be able to come up with something that looks better than a shoebox with a couple little windows
IIRC, the Prima design is an existing one. If the aesthetics are off, then that's the result of low-ball bidding.