• Photo trip to the JC terminal today (1/28/07)

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by pgengler

Since the weather was nice enough today, I decided to take a trip down to the old CNJ terminal in Liberty State Park, this time with the aim of getting more than just "point and shoot" photos (which is what I did last time).

I was pleasantly surprised at the (lack of) color, which I think made the shot better at representing the abandoned look.

So, without further ado, here are the photos.

While I was there (I took photos for a solid hour and a half, and had a lot of quiet time to think), I realized that we're coming up on the 40th anniversary of the Aldene Plan. Is there anything planned to mark the event?
Last edited by pgengler on Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CAR_FLOATER

Phil -

The link doesn't work

CF
  by Ken W2KB

pgengler wrote: I realized that we're coming up on the 40th anniversary of the Aldene Plan. Is there anything planned to mark the event?
Egads! I rode the last ferry and last train, back to Bayonne West 8th. Did you have to remind me it was that long ago? :wink:

by pgengler

CAR_FLOATER wrote:Phil -

The link doesn't work

CF
It's working now. The server hiccuped earlier for a few minutes.
  by CNJ

Ken W2KB wrote:
pgengler wrote: I realized that we're coming up on the 40th anniversary of the Aldene Plan. Is there anything planned to mark the event?
Egads! I rode the last ferry and last train, back to Bayonne West 8th. Did you have to remind me it was that long ago? :wink:

There is an interesting article on the Jersey Central in the Spring edition of "Classic Trains" magazine. It covers a trip from Roselle to Jersey City and back several days before the implementation of the Aldene Plan in 1967.

Also, in the same magazine is a great color photo from 1955 with a CNJ train pulled by a Train Master meeting a PRR train pulled by a Pacific 4-6-2 locomotive on the bridge over the Navesink River near Red Bank.

All in all, good coverage of the Jersey Central in this edition.

by Otto Vondrak

Can anyone walk around the old trainshed?

How long have those train curtains been up at the track gates? Are they original?

-otto-

by pgengler

Otto Vondrak wrote:Can anyone walk around the old trainshed?

How long have those train curtains been up at the track gates? Are they original?

-otto-
The area under the trainshed is fenced off; the waiting room and the area between the waiting room & the platforms/trainshed is open. (But how I'd love to be able to walk out onto the platforms).

I don't know how long the train curtains have been up; I recall reading in another topic here that they aren't original, but are replicas done by an art student or class.

by metman499

They are replicas. I remember reading that Frank Reilly had some in his collection that the current ones were duplicated from.

by Ken W2KB

Definitely reproductions. The originals were painted onto a canvas like material on a roller like a window shade stored in drawers in the lower portion of the structure. The rolled up sign was removed from the draw and pulled up to the top to display the next train.

I believe that the current signs are painted directly on the face of the structure, not a separate roll as originally.

The train sheds are in very poor condition with chunks of concrete falling from time to time. It would be very dangerous to be in that area.