• Pan Am Southern / Patriot Corridor Discussion

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

Well it's happening. Selkirk Hump to shut down as soon as in two weeks. Absolute insanity.
  by Backshophoss

Selkirk is to become a "flat switched" yard,seems that EHH Hates Hump yards with a passion,Selkirk has had a "history" of mis-routing cars
after the CR split,hence the"black hole" tag.
This change might affect how carload freight moves to/from the NYC and Boston Metro areas over time.
  by johnpbarlow

Maybe the conversion of Selkirk from hump classification to flat switching benefits Pan Am Southern:
- CSX carload transit times may increase to the point where NS/D&H picks up incremental traffic to/from PAS
- Alternatively perhaps e/w RJ interchange may run through to/from Dewitt Yard perhaps cutting transit time.

There's no obvious reason to me that the lengthy SEPO/POSE trains should be impacted.
  by johnpbarlow

In a slightly different vein, in an examination of CSX on-line intermodal schedules for Springfield and Worcester traffic, I learned that current CSX intermodal trains on the B&A are much fewer than I recall from years back. EB there are only two: Q010(We,Th) / Q020(M,Tu,F,Sa,Su) from Chicago and Q022(M-Sa) from Columbus (incl StL traffic). WB there are only 3: Q007(M-F) Worc-StL, Q017(M-F) Spr-Chi, and Q019(M-F) Wor-Chi. FWIW, there's a rumor that Q017 and Q019 will be combined (perhaps at Syracuse?) with Chicago-bound trains Q009 and Q003 out of Little Ferry, NJ.

So NS/PAS 22K/23K may be having an impact on CSX intermodal service into New England?
  by Dick H

Reports on Guilford Rail Sightings Yahoo Group that the PAS main line
is shut down from overnight flooding in Hoosick Falls NY. 3-4 inches of
rain fell in a short time. No estimated time for reopening the line..
  by BostonUrbEx

I bet the signal system was overwhelmed, too. It can't handle even a steady rain without going out, and East Portal to Hoosick Jct will go down altogether.
  by MetroBostonRailways

Just out of curiousity, what is the time range that NS 22/23k and other PAS trains go trough the Ayer/Shirley area?
  by johnpbarlow

MetroBostonRailways wrote:Just out of curiousity, what is the time range that NS 22/23k and other PAS trains go trough the Ayer/Shirley area?

22K usually arrives Ayer between sunrise to 9AM or so and 23K departs Ayer between 1pm and 4pm generally. But don't hold me to this....
  by MetroBostonRailways

johnpbarlow wrote:
MetroBostonRailways wrote:Just out of curiousity, what is the time range that NS 22/23k and other PAS trains go trough the Ayer/Shirley area?

22K usually arrives Ayer between sunrise to 9AM or so and 23K departs Ayer between 1pm and 4pm generally. But don't hold me to this....
Thanks for this information. I apologize to ask another question, but are you (or anyone else) aware of the times that 28N and 287 (and the return trips of these trains) pass through Shirley? Thanks
  by johnpbarlow

MetroBostonRailways wrote:... I apologize to ask another question, but are you (or anyone else) aware of the times that 28N and 287 (and the return trips of these trains) pass through Shirley? Thanks
Sure...287 often departs Ayer about the time when 22K arrives in the early morning. WRT to 28N, I have seen it at Gardner and Wachusett mid-days but I don't know if that's the schedule or not.
  by jaymac

MetroBostonRailways and others-
"Fluid" is the kindest characterization for the 22K/23K and 28N/287 "schedules." There are times when both 22K and 28N are east and out of the way before the inbound commuters, and there are other times when neither are. Issues to the west -- PAS and/or NS -- can be contributing factors for not beating the IB commuters . Favored easterly holding spots for 22K and/or 28N can be 333, 330, FG, Derby, or Slab City. There can be times that 287 is west of Gardner before 0600. There can also be times -- like 07-24 -- that 287 isn't even ready to be west of the Willows by 0700. 23K is generally an early afternoon train, but that is subject to adjustment.
As a hint, a working scanner is a help, especially since AY-5 sometimes takes 287 as far west as Gardner.
  by Arlington

^ I forget what was it stake and which side I was rooting for. Could you refresh my memory? Should I consider this good news?
Last edited by Arlington on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.