• Pan Am Railways (PAR) Maintenance of Way (MoW) Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by gokeefe

Much to my surprise I was able to briefly pace a Pan Am freight at 35 MPH in downtown Auburn this evening. It appears that some portion of the freight main line is now operated at Class 3 speeds.
  by BM6569

Yeah, 25 sure looks like 35 when you have only seen 10 for years. Most of the line from Portland to Waterville is 25.
  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:35? Thanks for the laugh :-D
Let's just say I didn't really believe it when I saw it either. I will be watching carefully.
  by 690

Besides Leeds Junction, 166-167, and Brighton Ave in Portland, Waterville - Royal is 25, and Royal to 199 is 40 on the #1 main. The aforementioned exceptions are all TT 10 or restricted speed.
  by BM6569

Mikejf wrote:Is Danville still 10?
Yes that's the 166-167 mentioned. It's TT 10 though, not a speed restriction.
  by flyingfox10

Let me just say that pacing does not classify going from crossing to crossing ahead of the train. To pace it you actually need to stay with it. The few times I have seen anyone try to "pace" a train while waiting for it to pass it looked as though they were trying to beat it to the next crossing. Also it is hard to pace through Auburn accurately.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

25 is freight MAS for Class 2 track, so any radar gun readings or chase timings higher than that are definitely in error on track that hasn't been FRA-petitioned for an uprate to Class 3.
  by KSmitty

Or, some may read that the pacing &/or radar gun is accurate and the crew is/was speeding. Which is why statements like those made can get people (crews) in trouble. Just like posting photos and videos of crews outside the cab can get them in trouble, so too can speed reports. Innaccurate and exaggerated reports are especially bad. In general, its best not to make claims about speed unless you are 100% sure it is accurate.
  by MEC407

PAR would be ripe for a lawsuit if they disciplined or terminated someone based solely on a railfan report.