• PA Inks New Keystone Corridor Deal

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mannynews

This press release was just mailed to me (via an internal email...but it is for public release)...which announces a new deal to accelrate Keystone Corridor improvements.....the highlight of which reports "The amended agreement totals $145.5 million with the state and the railroad each sharing half the cost. By the fall of 2006, trip times for local trains will be cut to 105 minutes from 120 minutes. Travel time for express trains will be 90 minutes."

see full text of release below, including information about new stations and station renovations...

FROM PR NEWSWIRE PHILADELPHIA 1/8STK3/8 1/8IN3/8 TRN 1/8SU3/8 TO STATE EDITOR:
Pennsylvania Governor Rendell, Amtrak President Gunn Announce Keystone
Corridor Improvement Plan
Philadelphia-Harrisburg Trip Will Be Shorter; Safety to Be Improved
PHILADELPHIA, July 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Pennsylvania Governor Edward G. Rendell and Amtrak President and Chief Executive Officer David L. Gunn today unveiled a reinvigorated plan to bring faster, safer and more frequent passenger train service to the Keystone Corridor between Philadelphia and Harrisburg.
"I look forward to the day when riders can make it between Philadelphia and Harrisburg in 90 minutes," Governor Rendell said. "I look forward to the day when continuous welded rails carry electric trains for a safer, more comfortable 104-mile trip on a reinvigorated Keystone Corridor. I look forward to the day when Amtrak increases the number of roundtrip trains between these two cities to 13 from nine, drawing motorists and their passengers from the Schuylkill Expressway, the Pennsylvania Turnpike and other crowded roadways in the Lancaster-Harrisburg area."
"We thank Governor Rendell for his leadership in supporting this project to improve mobility in Pennsylvania," said Amtrak's Gunn. "This is an extremely important project for several reasons. First, it will bring the Harrisburg Line to a state of good repair after years of deferred maintenance, greatly improving service to passengers using this growing route. Second, it demonstrates how incremental improvements to existing rail corridors can go forward at reasonable cost and show real results in the near term. Third, it is a living example of a project among the eight Tier I corridor routes in Amtrak's five-year plan. But if the other corridor projects are to proceed, federal matching funds are critical."
Governor Rendell and President Gunn said that Amtrak and the Commonwealth have agreed to a new plan that will accelerate some $100 million worth of infrastructure improvements through the end of 2006. Besides on-going track and tie installations, electronic traction cables, communications equipment and bridge structures will be upgraded.

Work on the corridor initially began in 2001 but was halted because of Amtrak's financial situation and near shutdown that summer. The next year a $20 million capital plan was approved. Work is focusing on the elimination of all remaining jointed rail on the line, replacing it with continuous welded rail, which greatly improves ride quality.
The Governor said a separate agreement between PennDOT and Amtrak will cover the closure of the three public at-grade crossings in Lancaster County, allowing for safer, faster train service. Renovations of selected Amtrak stations along the corridor will also be pursued.
The three at-grade crossings to be closed to vehicular traffic in Lancaster County include: Newcomer Road in the Borough of Mount Joy and Rapho Township; Eby Chiques Road in Rapho Township; and Irishtown Road in Leacock Township. Improvements or connections to nearby roads will be made before the three at-grade crossings can be closed. The work is expected to begin in 2006.
The renovation of three selected Amtrak stations along the corridor is moving forward. Local officials for the stations in Lancaster and Elizabethtown are completing design work and financing plans. The Harrisburg Redevelopment Authority is reviewing a final design plan and awaiting environmental clearance before improvements can begin at the Harrisburg Transportation Center.
Additionally, the Susquehanna Area Regional Aviation Authority is meeting with Amtrak to review costs to construct a new station adjacent to the Harrisburg International Airport (HIA).
"Having a modern transportation infrastructure in this busy, congested part of the state will both speed our economic development and improve our quality of life, and I applaud Amtrak for working with us to bring these upgrades to the people of southeastern Pennsylvania," the Governor said.
Philadelphia is the third busiest station in the national Amtrak System, with the 30th Street Station serving more than 3.5 million riders annually.

by hsr_fan

http://www2.kyw1060.com/news_story_deta ... emid=39208

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and Amtrak will split the cost of the $145-million project to install concrete ties and welded rails, as well as installing and upgrading signal and electrification systems.

After the improvements, the train will do top speeds of 110 miles an hour over nearly 70 percent of the line.

by Irish Chieftain

How about putting in a loop track at 30th Street so that Keystone Corridor trains bound for NYP don't have to reverse direction...? The only other way to keep trains facing the right direction is more expensive, i.e. going through the Center City tunnel, then electrifying the former Reading, CNJ and LVRR from West Trenton to Hunter Interlocking...

by KeystoneRider

Thnak you Governor Rendell and Mr. Gunn! This is excellent news for those of us who ride the Keystone line regularly. I'm looking forward to the improvements and have enjoyed those already made. I'm really looking forward to the Lancaster station finally getting its much needed overhaul.

by railfanofewu

Now if only they could extend the electrification to Pittsburgh, and bring back the Broadway Limited(In more than just route.)

by hsr_fan

railfanofewu wrote:Now if only they could extend the electrification to Pittsburgh, and bring back the Broadway Limited(In more than just route.)
Not going to happen, but I'd settle for faster diesel service west of Harrisburg. And I wish the route went through State College, or at least had a decent connecting shuttle to Penn State from Altoona or whatever station is closest.

And what ever happened to that high speed maglev train that Pennsylvania was supposedly going to build?

by Lucius Kwok

Irish Chieftain wrote:How about putting in a loop track at 30th Street so that Keystone Corridor trains bound for NYP don't have to reverse direction...? The only other way to keep trains facing the right direction is more expensive, i.e. going through the Center City tunnel, then electrifying the former Reading, CNJ and LVRR from West Trenton to Hunter Interlocking...
Why? What's wrong with the current setup? What would you gain from spending all that money?

by hsr_fan

Lucius Kwok wrote:Why? What's wrong with the current setup? What would you gain from spending all that money?
The current setup requires an engine change and direction reversal in Philly. Supposedly the plan is to start using cab control cars on the Keystone trains.

by C&O 15

If you want to avoid changing ends, changing engines, or using cab control cars, the way to do it is to wye the trains at zoo (through the subway) and then back into 30th Street. It can't be more than a mile or two backup move. No need to build a loop track anywhere. A loop track would be hugely expensive, and there's really not any room for it.

by LI Loco

Irish Chieftain wrote:How about putting in a loop track at 30th Street so that Keystone Corridor trains bound for NYP don't have to reverse direction...? The only other way to keep trains facing the right direction is more expensive, i.e. going through the Center City tunnel, then electrifying the former Reading, CNJ and LVRR from West Trenton to Hunter Interlocking...
What about a connector at North Philly from the NEC to the old Reading line? H'burg trains could then serve both Center City and 30th St. on the Upper Level.

by queenlnr8

LI Loco wrote:
What about a connector at North Philly from the NEC to the old Reading line? H'burg trains could then serve both Center City and 30th St. on the Upper Level.
Then they might as well use Penn Center Suburban Station as the 'start' point in Philadelphia as did the Metroliners in the 80's. Which, could be done with all the new overhaul going on there, they could stick in an Amtrak ticket counter and God knows they have enough trackage to accomdate the trains.

by LI Loco

To clarify, are you referring to when the original Metroliner MUs, later referred to as Capitol Liners, were used in Philadelphia - Harrisburg service?

To my knowledge, the New York - Washington Metroliner never server Center City Philadelphia.
  by ewonder

The main-line upgrade is welcome news. It would be nice if cafe' service was introduced. This is a long run and food/beverage service seems appropriate.

by queenlnr8

You got me. I am talking about the original Metroliner MU sets that ran PHL-HBG. Though, if they began to use cab control cars on the entire route, then they would be able to run from HBG-PHL (Suburban with a stop in 30th Upper) and then cab control out back to 30th over the bridge and meet up with the NEC there to NYP.

Could that work?

by hsr_fan

If they're going to install new welded rail and conrete ties, and run AEM-7's on the route, I wonder why the top speed will be 110 mph as opposed to 125. Not that it makes much difference...110 mph over 70 percent of the route would be outstanding!