• PA Inks New Keystone Corridor Deal

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

Oh well, if this project comes to pass, then UENI can travel to Hbg at the same speed as does the Governor's State Trooper chauffeured limousine.

Reports abounded how Pennsylvania Governor Rendell was recently chauffered along the Eastern end of the Penna Turnpike at speeds in excess of 100mph.

I can recall how during 1977 then-Governor Shapp was "caught' by the media "suggesting" that his Trooper's right foot should "get a little heavier".

Media had their fun, and I recall that he "issued strict orders" this practice was over. However, evidently once "the circus left town", so did that "executive order".

by mannynews

[/quote] Take a closer look next time you are up there. The glass is missing out of mostly ONE SIDE of the station and it is not well lit on that ONE SIDE as well. You know why? Not a single train stops at that side of the station.
The side of the station that sees all the train stoppings is the one that is well lt and rather well 'taken care of.' All the place really needs is some better police presence and a Quik-Trak machine.[/quote]

Actually, North Philadelphia gets more service than you think....6 Northbound Departures (including one Regional Train) and 7 Southbound Departures (including two regional trains). Most of the trains stopping there are Clocker service trains. Lots of people board/disembark there too...about 20 when my clocker stops there at 540 in the morning, and I'd say about 40 getting off regional train #189 that stops there in the evening.

It's too bad that vandals seems to always attack that station, but I think that has more to do with the station being unstaffed and not monitored. I was thinking that more people would use the station if it was more convienient to the street. You have to walk all the way black off of Broad Street to access the station......what if they built some type of over or underpass access to the new shopping center. I can see a few more people using the station because of that....

by Lucius Kwok

Anyway, it's good to see investment in the rail infrastructure. There have been many road constructions projects such as US-202 widening and the work on I-95 in the area, and I think the railroads have been overlooked for too long.

From riding the rails between 30th Street and NYP, I noticed that from the Zoo interlocking to the Frankford area, it looks like one of the tracks was removed. This is one area I think could be improved and have more capacity. There's space for six tracks there if they wanted.